British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough Panthers 2020

32 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

In normal circumstances Blue Badge holders would only be concerned that they could be assured of a parking space fairly near the entrance. In the case of EOES which was not designed as a sporing venue the track is a long way from the entrance and it is the distance Badge holders are concerned about, even the place inside the showground where they have previously parked is not exactly close to the track.  Your remarks would be pertinent to a normal stadium, but the EOES is not a normal stadium  and has vast tracts of land inside the perimeter.

Umfortunately the H+S laws dont make safety allowances for certain differences around each individual venue..

It will be solely based on 'risk assessment' with control measures then listed to be used, and followed, to reduce that risk and provide a safe environment..

If it's deemed having pedestrians at risk by being in a designated vehicle movement area, then there will have to be restrictions to reduce that risk..

As there will be if any pedestrian right of way is possibly impacted by moving vehicles..

It could only take one serious accident to close the facility down if proven they didn't follow the risk assessments and the owners could face criminal charges,..

Not to mention the possibly devastating impact to the person and family concerned.

Sadly when it has an emotional impact, rather than just a functional one, you can very easily, and understandably, feel extremely aggrieved, even though those implementing the rules have no choice and are not targeting you personally..

Unfortunately, sometimes you simply cannot 'win' and, willingly or not, have to accept its the way it is..

5 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

Stoke & Boston always allowed cars trackside Mike.

See you corrected to Buxton. I thought it was the case of a typo.  I remember the trains running by at Boston.

Edited by Richard Weston

1 minute ago, Mimmo said:

Sorry, I should have said Buxton, not Boston.

Yes they have, and it always struck me as strange that in this H+S litigious world cars and people could use pretty much the same strip of land..

Especially given both tracks had almost 'grass tracks' which the cars followed and no designated separate walkways adjacent..

31 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Yes they have, and it always struck me as strange that in this H+S litigious world cars and people could use pretty much the same strip of land..

Especially given both tracks had almost 'grass tracks' which the cars followed and no designated separate walkways adjacent..

I bet there was never a mishap there, just shows again H&S gone mad in most other things. Hundreds of times more likely to have an accident/mishap on the journey too and from the track! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Umfortunately the H+S laws dont make safety allowances for certain differences around each individual venue..

It will be solely based on 'risk assessment' with control measures then listed to be used, and followed, to reduce that risk and provide a safe environment..

If it's deemed having pedestrians at risk by being in a designated vehicle movement area, then there will have to be restrictions to reduce that risk..

As there will be if any pedestrian right of way is possibly impacted by moving vehicles..

It could only take one serious accident to close the facility down if proven they didn't follow the risk assessments and the owners could face criminal charges,..

Not to mention the possibly devastating impact to the person and family concerned.

Sadly when it has an emotional impact, rather than just a functional one, you can very easily, and understandably, feel extremely aggrieved, even though those implementing the rules have no choice and are not targeting you personally..

Unfortunately, sometimes you simply cannot 'win' and, willingly or not, have to accept its the way it is..

There is no reason why BB cars would have to share the same space as supporters on foot at the Showground. There is more chance of accidents in the main car park when people are rushing to get away...

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

There is no reason why BB cars would have to share the same space as supporters on foot at the Showground. There is more chance of accidents in the main car park when people are rushing to get away...

If pedestrians are using Gate 15 it’s simple to achieve complete segregation. Gate 3 pedestrian access is more awkward and would require a different disabled parking area allocated to the north end of the Grandstand and careful marshalling at the exit.

Cars and pedestrians can’t mix for H&S reasons? At supermarkets for example the blue badge spaces are always near the store entrance and require one to drive through the main car park (and hence the flow of pedestrians) to access them. I’ve not hit a pedestrian yet!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

If pedestrians are using Gate 15 it’s simple to achieve complete segregation. Gate 3 pedestrian access is more awkward and would require a different disabled parking area allocated to the north end of the Grandstand and careful marshalling at the exit.

Cars and pedestrians can’t mix for H&S reasons? At supermarkets for example the blue badge spaces are always near the store entrance and require one to drive through the main car park (and hence the flow of pedestrians) to access them. I’ve not hit a pedestrian yet!

Neither have the many non blue badge holders that park in those spaces Neil, including building contractors and council vans that I  have seen recently!!!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

Unfortunately the H+S laws dont make safety allowances for certain differences around each individual venue..

They are targeting a group in the same fashion as has happened intermittently over 15 years so the outcome of that was clear enough. The attention is in the detail of what new restrictions have popped up and what will access really be limited to in future. You cannot always win that's true but it always seems to be those who probably can't help themselves who pay the price. If nobody fights the apparent unwinnable battles then nothing will ever change, even though as you say, often that's the way it is irrespective.

I have an E Mail from EOES which tells me this decision comes entirely from Speedway and in no way has anything to do with them. Hang your heads in shame Mr Chapman and others.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

I have an E Mail from EOES which tells me this decision comes entirely from Speedway and in no way has anything to do with them. Hang your heads in shame Mr Chapman and others.

Peterborough Speedway need to justify this decision ASAP in my view. Messrs Chapman, Pratt and Johnson along with Health and safety officer Chris Emms(possibly) must have made the decision.

10 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Nothing would surprise me

• Like 1

This is what E Mail from Jason Lunn  says

"We as a venue have issued no such edict.Speedway plan their own parking so I would speak to them regarding this"

I have asked Management for their comments.

Edited by wealdstone
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mikebv said:

Isn't that the case for every single car park?  It's not H&S in my view but an issue of being sued after an accident or reducing insurance costs/liability

Edited by SPEEDY69

Clearly a misunderstanding between  Speedway and EOES. Now we know the showground don't mind  there is no reason why we can not revert to previous arrangement.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Peterborough Speedway need to justify this decision ASAP in my view. Messrs Chapman, Pratt and Johnson along with Health and safety officer Chris Emms(possibly) must have made the decision.

The most likely reason for this rule, is because Chapman is worried somebody might get in the stadium without paying.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2