British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough Panthers 2020

44 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Clearly a misunderstanding between  Speedway and EOES. Now we know the showground don't mind  there is no reason why we can not revert to previous arrangement.

Nicely put. I couldn't see a way out but that would do it.

The official statement says it puts them in line with other events at the Showground, the trouble is most other events held there aren't static therefore people who can't walk far will likely have wheelchairs or scooters etc. 

I'm told that some Blue Badge holders are able to take their nominated carer into an event (show, zoo, concert, etc) at 50% of entry or even free of charge, though apparently this is at the discretion of the venue.  While I understand this may be a concern, we are just looking at tracks within 2 - 2 1/2 hours driving time and where we can hopefully park as close to the entrance as possible.  Admittedly not visted Peterborough for few years, mid 2000's I think, and the car park was fair trek from the entrance / turnstile, bit of a faff ordinarily but likely too for for people with walking difficulties.....

4 hours ago, martinmauger said:

I'm told that some Blue Badge holders are able to take their nominated carer into an event (show, zoo, concert, etc) at 50% of entry or even free of charge, though apparently this is at the discretion of the venue.  While I understand this may be a concern, we are just looking at tracks within 2 - 2 1/2 hours driving time and where we can hopefully park as close to the entrance as possible.  Admittedly not visted Peterborough for few years, mid 2000's I think, and the car park was fair trek from the entrance / turnstile, bit of a faff ordinarily but likely too for for people with walking difficulties.....

I'm not aware of the carer facility in operation at Panthers, and to be fair to them I don't think that it ever has. I know what you mean though because those receiving DLA/PIP can get a carer in free of charge at Posh where it is in operation but they get 7 to10x more fans and receipts. If you have a Blue Badge then that would potentially get you close to the turnstile under the proposed new system. It's then a fair trek to the circuit with a similar trek on the way out. Probably not a pleasant experience but as a one off you might cope or consider even that too much depending on the level and type of disability.?

Edited by Crump99

Its much safer for all concerned getting in and out of the showground than the stadium at Lynn were especially after speedway or stock car meetings its dodge the traffic leaving the car park and the approach road to the stadium,  seems strange if true that Buster and co would implement this just at the showground but not at his beloved AFA which must surely also adhere to H&S issues as well ,  

Edited by scoobydoo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

The official statement says it puts them in line with other events at the Showground, the trouble is most other events held there aren't static therefore people who can't walk far will likely have wheelchairs or scooters etc. 

It's only in line because they've introduced the standard practice for events generally that take place at the showground with parking areas close to entrances, so that is true. The missing bit is that the specific event organisers apparently have some control over how they deal with their event parking and the club have made conscious decision to exclude stadium access to their disabled fans under the umbrella of health and safety restrictions that allegedly only they are aware of.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Crump99 said:

I'm not aware of the carer facility in operation at Panthers, and to be fair to them I don't think that it ever has. I know what you mean though because those receiving DLA/PIP can get a carer in free of charge at Posh where it is in operation but they get 7 to10x more fans and receipts. If you have a Blue Badge then that would potentially get you close to the turnstile under the proposed new system. It's then a fair trek to the circuit with a similar trek on the way out. Probably not a pleasant experience but as a one off you might cope or consider even that too much depending on the level and type of disability.?

Every season I was involved at Peterborough free carer admission was available on request.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeilWatson said:

Every season I was involved at Peterborough free carer admission was available on request.

Must say I have never come across  this  but of course genuine carers are a different matter than spouses who accompany their wives or husband. Think I was referred  to once as a carer at Rye House but quite rightly I had to pay.

s

1 minute ago, wealdstone said:

Must say I have never come across  this  but of course genuine carers are a different matter than spouses who accompany their wives or husband. Think I was referred  to once as a carer at Rye House but quite rightly I had to pay.

I wasn't aware of it and never saw it publicised, so great if it was an option for those affected even if it was a case of if you don't ask you don't get, current situation accepted of course! It's good that you feel the need to pay and not see it as a freebie and hopefully others do likewise but some disabled people will take carers who have little interest in the event and also have to be available for the duration so paying on top of that isn't always appropriate.

27 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

13 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

I wasn't aware of it and never saw it publicised, so great if it was an option for those affected even if it was a case of if you don't ask you don't get, current situation accepted of course! It's good that you feel the need to pay and not see it as a freebie and hopefully others do likewise but some disabled people will take carers who have little interest in the event and also have to be available for the duration so paying on top of that isn't always appropriate.

You each make good points. The free carer facility was to help people who simply could not attend without a companion (for example a wheelchair pusher) - that companion may well not have any interest in speedway. It wasn't for a wife who was an ardent fan simply travelling with her disabled husband (also a fan). That is why it was on request and not advertised, but if I was contacted and asked if such a policy existed, and was given an explanation why it was needed I would never refuse.

Edited by NeilWatson
  • Like 7

As the fixture lists are to be released tomorrow one would hope that Peterborough would be in a position to make a further team announcement. Presumably they have prior knowledge in any case which would have been discussed with any potentional 'superstar' as to suitability of dates etc. Personally I think that relying on and building the team around one rider is a bad thing. Especially when such rider is so busy that we need to wait so long to see whether he can 'fit us in'. What happens if said rider gets injured... no No.1 and use of R/R for half a season again. I know this can happen to any rider but 'eggs and basket' does come to mind. This whole team building affair should have been sorted ages ago!

2 hours ago, Octoberon said:

As the fixture lists are to be released tomorrow one would hope that Peterborough would be in a position to make a further team announcement. Presumably they have prior knowledge in any case which would have been discussed with any potentional 'superstar' as to suitability of dates etc. Personally I think that relying on and building the team around one rider is a bad thing. Especially when such rider is so busy that we need to wait so long to see whether he can 'fit us in'. What happens if said rider gets injured... no No.1 and use of R/R for half a season again. I know this can happen to any rider but 'eggs and basket' does come to mind. This whole team building affair should have been sorted ages ago!

It would do them a lot more good if they sorted out the disabled parking scandal, which is beyond shameful

Looks like the silent majority have decided to remain silent, and thus those responsible get away with it again.

2 hours ago, Octoberon said:

This whole team building affair should have been sorted ages ago!

It should but ultimately those in charge will be judged on the strength of the team. It’s pretty clear they are waiting on a rider or two to make up three minds but if the team is competitive and much better on paper than last year will people really mind? 

7 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

It should but ultimately those in charge will be judged on the strength of the team. It’s pretty clear they are waiting on a rider or two to make up three minds but if the team is competitive and much better on paper than last year will people really mind? 

In the meantime they amuse themselves by stitching up the disabled