(3) Tommy Price

(4) Tai Woffinden

(5) Peter Collins

(6) Michael Lee

(7) Mark Loram

(8) Gary Havelock

Edited by Guest
spelling error

but have you ever seen Woffinden/Loram/Havelock ride?

50 minutes ago, stevehone said:

but have you ever seen Woffinden/Loram/Havelock ride?

Probably read their books tho:rolleyes:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

Probably read their books tho:rolleyes:

No,don’t take the mickey. He’s been trying his best in the SE London/ Kent border area to find Tais book without any luck. Though just why an area that hasn’t seen any speedway for 50 years or more if we count Crystal Palace should stock the book is beyond me

Edited by iris123
  • Haha 1

From the riders I have seen from that list my list would be:

1. Collins 2. Lee 3. Loram. 4. Havelock...of those that I didn't see the one rider I wish I had was Peter Craven. Anybody who could circumnavigate Cowley at 63 secs when the average time during that period was 67 secs had to be someone special.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

As ‘World’ champ Craven did have some good meetings overseas. Is there any record of Williams or Price doing much outside of England ?

14 hours ago, iris123 said:

No,don’t take the mickey. He’s been trying his best in the SE London/ Kent border area to find Tais book without any luck. Though just why an area that hasn’t seen any speedway for 50 years or more if we count Crystal Palace should stock the book is beyond me

WHS stock sports books by American boxers who have never fought outside the USA. What's the difference in regard to Tai Woffinden's book? Or is this just your usual chance to have a jibe at a comment by me? An action that you sadly appear dedicated to at every opportunity?

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

As ‘World’ champ Craven did have some good meetings overseas. Is there any record of Williams or Price doing much outside of England ?

Or indeed, outside of their home track?

To put Price ahead of Collins, Lee, and of course, Woffinden, seems a little strange. Three world championships on tracks around the world vs one on your home track?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gustix said:

Britain has had eight speedway world champions/Grand Prix winners.

You do realise that "Grand Prix Winners" are actually "World Champions"?

Besides, if you want to talk about British "Grand Prix Winners", you forgot Martin Dugard and Chris Harris.

Steve

The list of world champions given as for Grand Prix was taken from Wikipedia who classify the overall winners as Speedway Grand Prix

A better classification would seemingly need the word series added to read the details as  Speedway Grand Prix Series?

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, gustix said:

The list of world champions given as for Grand Prix was taken from Wikipedia who classify the overall winners as Speedway Grand Prix

A better classification would seemingly need the word series added to read the details as  Speedway Grand Prix Series?

Then contact Wikipedia. And the FIM while you are at it...

The fact is that, when the record books show "world champions", they are still shown as "world champions" regardless of the format. You are the only one who seems to think they are different...

12 hours ago, gustix said:

WHS stock sports books by American boxers who have never fought outside the USA. What's the difference in regard to Tai Woffinden's book? Or this just your usual chance to have a jibe at a comment by me? An action that you sadly appear dedicated to at every opportunity?

You are mixing up boxing fans with speedway fans. Boxing fans can be spread all over. There are though a number of long standing boxing clubs in SE London.The manager at WH Smith’s might have sold lots of boxing books, so orders more. Without any demand for speedway books they don’t stock any.... that is how business works

Generally, but not exclusively speedway fans are situated near a speedway track. No doubt in the days of Wimbledon there might well have been a few fans in the Bromley area, but interest has at a guess waned since those days

Edited by iris123