British Speedway Forum

British world champions ratings list

19 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

He won it in 1951 as well,  he has to be in the top 20 greatest riders of all-time.

World Champ in 1951 and 52, first and only second division rider to win the World Title ( which shows how competitive the second division was in those days). I am pretty sure he beat Jack Parker in the British Match Race Championship when still in the second division with Edinburgh. He still has a street named after him on the site of the old West Ham Stadium.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E I Addio said:

World Champ in 1951 and 52, first and only second division rider to win the World Title ( which shows how competitive the second division was in those days). I am pretty sure he beat Jack Parker in the British Match Race Championship when still in the second division with Edinburgh. He still has a street named after him on the site of the old West Ham Stadium.

The second division must of been such a competitive league then,  going back to those days Jack reached seven world Final's 1950 / 55 all at Wembley then reached his last one with a five year gap 1960  also one at reserve at Malmo.I often think because of Bluey Willkinson/ and Jack's success poor old fellow Aussie Vic Duggan often gets forgotten through no fault of his own.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, E I Addio said:

And, of course, proved inspirational to Ivan Mauger when Ivan spent his formative years in Aussie after his first venture to Britain didn't go to plan.

6 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

And, of course, proved inspirational to Ivan Mauger when Ivan spent his formative years in Aussie after his first venture to Britain didn't go to plan.

Went home regrouped worked hard and the rest is history it took real character that.Would many youngsters with a young family have the chararacter to do that today.?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, E I Addio said:

I don't think he beat Jack Parker.

He won it from Ronnie Moore in 1952 and then held it against Moore, Freddie Williams and Split Waterman. He later won it again in 1955 when he won by default against Ronnie Moore, who was injured. He was then injured himself and didn't defend it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, E I Addio said:

I am pretty sure he beat Jack Parker in the British Match Race Championship when still in the second division with Edinburgh. 

The British Match Race Championship was exclusively for National League Division One riders - hence no Jack Parker v Jack Young event. There were as I recall separate match race championships for Division Two and Division Three at one time.

26 minutes ago, norbold said:

I agree norbold. There was no Jack Parker v Jack Young match race challenge.

1 hour ago, norbold said:

He won it from Ronnie Moore in 1952 and then held it against Moore, Freddie Williams and Split Waterman. He later won it again in 1955 when he won by default against Ronnie Moore, who was injured. He was then injured himself and didn't defend it.

I think Jack won the Silver Helmet in 1951 and the Scottish MRC in 1949 and 51 i never even knew they had a Silver Helmet then.

In 1951, Jack Young began the year as holder of the Silver Helmet and then went on to defend it against Arthur Forrest, Derek Close, Bob Leverenz before losing it to Tommy Miller.

6 hours ago, E I Addio said:

World Champ in 1951 and 52, first and only second division rider to win the World Title ( which shows how competitive the second division was in those days).

Another second division rider, Bob Leverenz, also qualified for the 1951 final, finishing 8th, while Geoff Mardon, a third division rider, qualified as reserve.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, norbold said:

In 1951, Jack Young began the year as holder of the Silver Helmet and then went on to defend it against Arthur Forrest, Derek Close, Bob Leverenz before losing it to Tommy Miller.

I never knew the White ghost Ken le Bretton won the Silver Helmet in 1950,  died in Aussie January 1951 RIP.

1 hour ago, norbold said:

Yes, me relying on faulty memory instead of checking before I posted. He did beat Jack Parker 2-0 in a match race meeting in Edinburgh but it was a non title event in 1950,  presumably an “extra” to keep the crown entertained.

In his first season with West Ham, 1952 he scored something like  19 maximums in 38 matches. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I never knew the White ghost Ken le Bretton won the Silver Helmet in 1950,  died in Aussie January 1951 RIP.

Take a look at the  photograph plus all the GH and SH winners over time. 

Edited by britmet
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, britmet said:

Take a look at the  photograph plus all the GH and SH winners over time. 

Sorry, anecdote alert! Your link also shows all the BH winners as well. Some years ago, when I was writing my Speedway in the South East book, I interviewed Wally Green, who had ridden for Hastings in 1948. I asked him how he felt winning the Bronze Helmet from Bert Roger at his own track of Exeter. He told me he had never won the Bronze Helmet. I tried to assure him he had but he absolutely refused to believe me. When I saw him again, I took a copy of Speedway World to show him he had definitely won it. He said he had no recollection of it at all! So, I wasn't able to get a scoop on how he felt to put in my book!!!

Mind you, I suppose finishing runner-up in the World Championship Final in 1950 does put the Bronze Helmet victory into the shade a bit!

4 minutes ago, norbold said:

Sorry, anecdote alert! Your link also shows all the BH winners as well. Some years ago, when I was writing my Speedway in the South East book, I interviewed Wally Green, who had ridden for Hastings in 1948. I asked him how he felt winning the Bronze Helmet from Bert Roger at his own track of Exeter. He told me he had never won the Bronze Helmet. I tried to assure him he had but he absolutely refused to believe me. When I saw him again, I took a copy of Speedway World to show him he had definitely won it. He said he had no recollection of it at all! So, I wasn't able to get a scoop on how he felt to put in my book!!!

Mind you, I suppose finishing runner-up in the World Championship Final in 1950 does put the Bronze Helmet victory into the shade a bit!

I did see Peter Craven had a really good  record in the Pride of East when it was at Norwich.I imagine Ove had a marginal head to head record there but there duels would of been worth watching..

Edited by Sidney the robin