British Speedway Forum

British world champions ratings list

1 hour ago, gustix said:

I don't recall the comment I made to Sidney nor a reference to American boxing books. I have looked back through the many Posts on here and cannot seem to trace them. 

And correct - I have no idea who you are or what you do. Why should I want to know?

TBH I regret ever starting this thread. I could use an ultimate solution - but will refrain from doing so!

We went through this a couple of weeks ago!

You called me "unco-operative", yet I always try to answer and explain things.

You wanted to know what I was talking about, and why I was surprised you couldn't call me by my name - when others knew me - and I regularly posted my name. I explained, but you missed it.

You wanted to know why I was upset at an ignorant comment about my profession. I explained, yet you missed it.

We have had several off-forum conversations, both on here and on Facebook, but you can't remember them.

You complain about others deviating on this thread, yet you did it yourself - twice. I draw your attention to them, but you can't find them.

I make a light-hearted response to your comment, but you were offended.

Then, you say you regret starting this thread. Why? It is a great thread! Several of us have had a fascinating discussion, but because everything goes above your head, you come back with crap like you did. Why, John? Just try to stay on the same page as the rest of us...

Edited by chunky

1 hour ago, gustix said:

I don't recall the comment I made to Sidney nor a reference to American boxing books. I have looked back through the many Posts on here and cannot seem to trace them. 

And correct - I have no idea who you are or what you do. Why should I want to know?

TBH I regret ever starting this thread. I could use an ultimate solution - but will refrain from doing so!

Try the 10th comment on the first page.

1 hour ago, norbold said:

A field of great speculation of course, who would have won the War Time championships. Vic Duggan, Jack Parker, Eric Langton, Cordy Milne, Tommy Price, Eric Chitty....all arguably would have been at their peak during that period.

The one I think could really have made an impact was Cordy Milne, as he really seemed to be approaching his peak. He could certainly have eclipsed the achievements of his brother.

Yep, all conjecture now...

1 hour ago, norbold said:

Try the 10th comment on the first page.

Yes. I found the comment. It was a reference to the fact that while books relating to American boxers were available in my local branches of WHS it was a problem buying a copy of Tai Woffinden's book in them.

5 minutes ago, gustix said:

Yes. I found the comment. It was a reference to the fact that while books relating to American boxers were available in my local branches of WHS it was a problem buying a copy of Tai Woffinden's book in them.

We don't need a complete breakdown of things, John. It's just frustrating when you only see half the stuff that's posted, complain about people deviating when you are doing it yourself (and again, I didn't "complain"), and then don't realise what you have done...

10 minutes ago, gustix said:

2 minutes ago, chunky said:

We don't need a complete breakdown of things, John. It's just frustrating when you only see half the stuff that's posted, complain about people deviating when you are doing it yourself (and again, I didn't "complain"), and then don't realise what you have done...

I mentioned Tai Woffinden's book earlier because he is among the British world champions listed in the Opening Post to this thread.

17 minutes ago, gustix said:

I mentioned Tai Woffinden's book earlier because he is among the British world champions listed in the Opening Post to this thread.

This is exactly what I mean, John...

You don't need to explain why you mentioned Tai's book! I wasn't referring to Tai's book!

I was referring to your comment about American boxers, and again, we didn't need any explanation as I wasn't actually "complaining"..

You try to offer unnecessary explanations on parts of a comment that we weren't even referring to, and don't need explanations.

Still, you don't understand why I objected to your negative comment about my profession, do you?

Edited by chunky

On 9/28/2019 at 4:42 PM, gustix said:

Britain has had eight speedway world champions. This is how I rate them:

(1) Peter Craven

(2) Fred Williams

(3) Tommy Price

(4) Tai Woffinden

(5) Peter Collins

(6) Michael Lee

(7) Mark Loram

(8) Gary Havelock

Based on the mainly interesting comments in relation to the quoted OP list I presented, in what order would the riders as I nominated them now be placed?

Edited by Guest
spelling error

1 hour ago, gustix said:

Based on the mainly interesting comments in relation to the quoted OP list I presented, in what order would the riders as I nominated them now be placed?

People have posted their lists...

1 hour ago, gustix said:

29 minutes ago, chunky said:

People have posted their lists...

I was looking for a composite overall list on a 'vote system' based on an eight for a top place down to one for an eighth rated rider. 

2 minutes ago, gustix said:

I was looking for a composite overall list on a 'vote system' based on an eight for a top place down to one for an eighth rated rider. 

Unless you have a poll, there probably won't be enough to go on...

On 10/6/2019 at 10:23 AM, gustix said:

well, you just needed to go back and add up the lists? from what I can see 7 people provided lists, based on that the order is:

1. Craven

2. Woffinden

3.Collins

4. Lee

5. William's

6.Price

7. Loram

8. Havelock

Thinking about it, my personal list would be almost identical, just switching Craven and Woffy.

Gustix as Steve said this is a really enjoyable  thread great to hear other people's views and sorry if i went off course on the thread.

Edited by Sidney the robin

I suppose a quite different list would be which of the eight riders had the most potential.  Looking at the way that Michael Lee strolled to his first World Championship at the age of 21, he might be No 1 for that one.  At the time, it was mentioned that he had to be a contender to go on to match or surpass Mauger. Instead it turned out to be his only title.