British Speedway Forum
DC2

Poole 2020

review of the riders for the final 7 riders for the season.

Kurtz= 0.49 average increase. Not an awful season really. Just doesn't turn up to the party when needed. A season away from WR is needed and that is the rumour. 

Covatti= 0.57 increase. Great season, did his job. Felt not having him at reserve would make us weaker and it did. Would be open to having him back but might be a little bit to high of an average now. 

Klindt= 0.82 increase. Rider of the season. worth so much more than just his average is the soul of the team. First name on the team sheet next season. 

Josh G= 0.59 increase. Great season, great captain, speaks well on Tv etc. Really got back to his form of 2016/17. second name on the team sheet. 

Holder= 0.10 average increase. Poor season doesn't seem to really care. Can leave Poole and maybe grow up a little. 

THJ= Average not achieved due to time. Hard to judge, had all of 4 meetings. I would like to see him start in the Championship and get his form back and really have a plan in the UK. Midseason replacement next season level. 

Wells= 2.11 average drop. Worse rider in the premiership in terms of performance. Not a premiership rider. Needs to re-evaluate his plans as a rider. 

Would like to see Klindt and Josh stay and covatti maybe if he fits in etc. But i think this shows how much we depended upon Josh, Klindt and Covatti. 

Have to look at Bomber, Wright, Hans, Nielsen, Perks, Douglas as riders who could do a job.  Hans on 5.79 might be too good to turn down. 

But need a dominant number 1 and reserves who can deliver 10 points a meeting. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DC2 said:

For those fans without tickets to Rome. :)

Bassano Del Grappa! :t:off in two weeks time. Bellisimo!

What would concern me is what financial state are Poole in.

Was no secret Ford had no money and built his team based on assets and what cheap options he could afford. Along came the carpet cleaners but despite this they endured poor crowds at times and were losing money still. Also questionable if No1 CC paid their full sponsor agreement or did they come to a compromise with Ford just to tie over until season end after what seemed like a fall out in last 3rd of the season that even led to their logo coming off the Poole website. Factor is a relatively poor SF playoff crowd and what now must be  a MASSIVE revenue loss from a PO Final against possibly Swindon which arguably must run into a tens of thousands hole from say a 3/4000 Final crowd. when they probably assumed they would walk into.

Considering Ford wanted out but of course nobody will pay his over inflated price for the club, where does this place Poole for 2020 (depending that is on what the BSPA come up with for 2020). No real TV money worth talking about - maybe no decent money generating main sponsor ?? - possibly lower crowds ongoing plus importantly perhaps no money to invest in a team with a proven heat leader ??

Of course for 2020 there is also the Chris Holder problem. Will he be allowed to ride in UK or still months of will they won't they let him ride in UK. Then the question of HolderJr/Kurtz. Will Chris be happy if Jack was dumped out of the team and do what he was playing at before i.e trying to join little Bro at Somerset.

Last night was a situation just waiting to happen. We had seen inconsistences all season with Holder/Kurtz and also with Wells and TJH in the latter part. Well last night all 4 bombed together. Plenty of Poole fans were concerned about Wells and TJH joining and those were well and truly hammered home last night.

I agree with Poole Bolton re Klindt and Josh G and maybe Covati but more as a reserve for 2020.

Must admit I normally get quite into guess the team for the following season, but where in seasons past Ford had a combo of both the Sky and the big Readypower deal, he no longer has that financial clout behind him. Also factor in he no longer has his focus in UK with his overseas venture, does concern me a little on what 2020 holds for Poole as a club and will it be a case of can't afford decent riders so very much of same again for next year (i.e assets only) except at reserve ??

7 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

Kurtz needs a year at Swindon with Doyley at 1. We will gladly take him. 

Would not want him at Swindon, he is unreliable and would only be dropping his average for a return to Poole the following year 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Would not want him at Swindon, he is unreliable and would only be dropping his average for a return to Poole the following year 

Who would take Kurtz knowing full well he wouldnt be giving everything plus when the chips are down he disappears.

Pooles biggest mistake this season was the Worrall injury

I said Poole were doing just fine with R/R at 2 and Covatti at reserve...............if Poole wanted a change it should have been immediate or not at all.

Bringing in THJ at 6 and moving Covatti to 2 was an awful awful move..........as they hadnt made a change they should have run with R/R and Covatti at 6.

Covatti limited to 4 rides..............instead of 7 ............and 2 reserves who wouldnt have extra rides because they werent good enough.....Nico at reserve at Foxhall last night could have made a difference

Nice to see a Poole 2020 thread........us at Ipswich will wait a while yet!!

Edited by Gavan
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

What would concern me is what financial state are Poole in.

Was no secret Ford had no money and built his team based on assets and what cheap options he could afford. Along came the carpet cleaners but despite this they endured poor crowds at times and were losing money still. Also questionable if No1 CC paid their full sponsor agreement or did they come to a compromise with Ford just to tie over until season end after what seemed like a fall out in last 3rd of the season that even led to their logo coming off the Poole website. Factor is a relatively poor SF playoff crowd and what now must be  a MASSIVE revenue loss from a PO Final against possibly Swindon which arguably must run into a tens of thousands hole from say a 3/4000 Final crowd. when they probably assumed they would walk into.

Considering Ford wanted out but of course nobody will pay his over inflated price for the club, where does this place Poole for 2020 (depending that is on what the BSPA come up with for 2020). No real TV money worth talking about - maybe no decent money generating main sponsor ?? - possibly lower crowds ongoing plus importantly perhaps no money to invest in a team with a proven heat leader ??

Of course for 2020 there is also the Chris Holder problem. Will he be allowed to ride in UK or still months of will they won't they let him ride in UK. Then the question of HolderJr/Kurtz. Will Chris be happy if Jack was dumped out of the team and do what he was playing at before i.e trying to join little Bro at Somerset.

Last night was a situation just waiting to happen. We had seen inconsistences all season with Holder/Kurtz and also with Wells and TJH in the latter part. Well last night all 4 bombed together. Plenty of Poole fans were concerned about Wells and TJH joining and those were well and truly hammered home last night.

I agree with Poole Bolton re Klindt and Josh G and maybe Covati but more as a reserve for 2020.

Must admit I normally get quite into guess the team for the following season, but where in seasons past Ford had a combo of both the Sky and the big Readypower deal, he no longer has that financial clout behind him. Also factor in he no longer has his focus in UK with his overseas venture, does concern me a little on what 2020 holds for Poole as a club and will it be a case of can't afford decent riders so very much of same again for next year (i.e assets only) except at reserve ??

Steve, welcome to all the other speedway clubs survival mandate. Probably only Glasgow now have the money, but the rest, who made up the leagues for your club to "dominate" for the last however many years have had this year on year.

Can't feel  sorry for you I'm afraid, as where averages should level the teams, now we know unlimited money mean't nothing was going to equalise the teams.

• Like 1

Just need to replace Holder, the rest are ok.

I heard The sponsors failed to pay which left a massive hole in the finances. Cloth had to be cut accordingly. Whether this has been resolved or not I don’t know. End of the day the promotion won’t spend more than income and rightly so.

3 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Just need to replace Holder, the rest are ok.

Josh, Nicolai, Wright, Kurtz??? Covatti  + 2 others

Holder rides better away from home, mostly.

Holder has shown no improvement this season. Reached his level? Possibly.