British Speedway Forum
DC2

Poole 2020

3 hours ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Their logo didn't last too long, its gone again! so cant see No1 carpet cleaning company being involved at all next year, I have also heard a new company is now close to agreeing a deal to become main team sponsors and inject some cash into the club.

You should read the online reviews for this company they are terrible, why you would want a sh1te company like that affiliated with your club is beyond me.

2 hours ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

When Linus returned last year he got a reduction I thought?

How many years had he been away?

The standard of riders in the PL has dropped year on year for many years. Generally,  the average of riders returning after being absent for a number of years should be increased, not reduced because their average was attained when the standard was higher.

However,  as I have said many times, the most sensible way is to give them an  average based on their average in whichever foreign league(s) they have most recently ridden. It would be easy to devise a formula to convert averages for each foreign league to an assessed PL average.  That would, overnight, do away with those who come here when relatively inexperienced, don't ride here for a few years, improve significantly and then return on their original low average and cater for those who have not ridden here for a few years but are on a downward spiral in the twilight of their careers and realistically,  wouldn't achieve their past PL average. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Plus will Chris Holder get a reduction on his 7.16 average for not riding here for a few years? 

Ridiculous if considered.

If so we demand reassessments for Freddie, Tai and Piotr Pawlicki.:t:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevebrum said:

True - Holder will reduce his average enough by himself if he comes back anytime soon anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Aces51 said:

The standard of riders in the PL has dropped year on year for many years. Generally,  the average of riders returning after being absent for a number of years should be increased, not reduced because their average was attained when the standard was higher.

However,  as I have said many times, the most sensible way is to give them an  average based on their average in whichever foreign league(s) they have most recently ridden. It would be easy to devise a formula to convert averages for each foreign league to an assessed PL average.  That would, overnight, do away with those who come here when relatively inexperienced, don't ride here for a few years, improve significantly and then return on their original low average and cater for those who have not ridden here for a few years but are on a downward spiral in the twilight of their careers and realistically,  wouldn't achieve their past PL average. 

Far too sensible,  obvious, and simple, to ever happen....

5 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Are you sure? Because Freddie and Tai would only get increased IMHO to reflect where they are on the world stage. Holder should have an average roughly the same as Batch

7 hours ago, Aces51 said:

A perfect example is Mikkel Michelsen whose most recent GSA is 6.02 (2015) but based on his Swedish and Danish form should be around nine now.

7 hours ago, Aces51 said:

The system you suggest for riders with established averages in Europe is or certainly was already in place. I think it was Peter Oakes who produced the list that BSPA agreed to. 

As far as historic GSA’s are concerned, anyone with an average from more than two seasons back should be reassessed using the same method as for those coming to UK for the first time. For 2020, that would mean a UK average from 2019 or 2018. Chris Holder or Tai Woffinden, for example, would be caught by this as would the likes of Mikkel Michelsen or Leon Madsen. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stevebrum said:

My view is that there definitely should be reassessments for these three (and many others) but that’s not the same as reductions. Without knowing the precise numbers, my guess is that Tai and Piotr would increase but Freddie may we’ll stay the same 

9 hours ago, Aces51 said:

If Chris Holder's average is based on his Torun 2019 season, then he should get a SGBP reduction to around 6.00 points!!!!:rolleyes:

15 hours ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Their logo didn't last too long, its gone again! so cant see No1 carpet cleaning company being involved at all next year, I have also heard a new company is close to agreeing a deal to become main team sponsors  and inject some cash into the club.

1. Not sure MF got all the money owed, so saw out the league season and that was it!

2. ...and one of the existing sponsors too!!;) 

Edited by Skidder1

14 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

If Chris Holder's average is based on his Torun 2019 season, then he should get a SGBP reduction to around 6.00 points!!!!:rolleyes:

If that is what a fair and sensible conversion formula produced then that wouldn't be a problem.

However, I suspect that such a fair and sensible conversion factor would convert his Torun race average of 1.677 to around a UK 6. 

It would take some leg work but you could pretty much bench mark every rider in the world against their peers..

Maybe therefore they should be graded similar to the way Stock Cars do?

There are that many variables due to the various leagues they race in that there will always be an anomaly or two if we go down to the 'nth' degree decimal point, yet most fans could link riders of similar ability just by watching them ride frequently, so use the average's they get as a starting point to determine their grade.

A three person committee (independent) could decide on any borderline decisions...

Edited by mikebv

If Poole want Harris they can always send Josh G the other way.;)