British Speedway Forum
DC2

Poole 2020

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

You are a TROLL, end of and you have not got a clue what you are on about.You supported Swindon originally then swapped ship.when it suited you. Now you say you might not bother with Poole if you change league's.?  stay away you are not a fan not really.

you can’t debate so you post vitriolic crap (that means aggressive criticism if you don’t understand that word) 

So you don’t think the stars of the sport will make ny difference to crowd levels? You are not worth debating with. Suggest you go back to your brexit mates in the general section where you have some protection. B)

21 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

It’s all to do with the rider level. 

But crowds plummeted whilst top riders rode over here so how does that work?

Woffy rode as World Champ for a season at Wolves but I didnt see any 'full house' signs going up at Monmore or indeed anywhere else..

Woffy,, Emil, Majic, Doyle, Ward, Holder, NKI, Nicki P, Zagar, Lindback, Lindgren and Hancock have all rode over here in the timeline when thousands of punters decided to stop going..

Maybe due to the annual inflation busting price increases to pay for them?

Or maybe due to the ever changing fixture list to accommodate their own agendas?

Or maybe down to when these guys had a meeting clash due to their full calendar (as so in demand), you ended up with a plethora of guests to replace them, thus rendering meetings with minimal credibility and fans feeling short changed?

It's £18 to watch second, third, fourth and fifth level riders now..

How much would be charged to watch the top guys?

They don't come cheap and are there enough sponsors willing to cough up what will need to be a whole leagues worth of superstars, as if each team doesn't have one then those without will struggle..

Thousands have deserted the domestic product over the past ten years or so..

Having Global superstars in front of them each week didn't prevent this exodus..

NB As an aside, the best meeting I saw this year was the Colts v Kent. All for a tenner for me and free for my 16 year old lad. I would actually defy any world class riders to have delivered better such was the quality of racing and entertainment on offer. Hence we went back six more times this season.

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Mediman said:

I wou;s love to see top riders back but that is not going to happen why ride at £150- 200 per point in England when you can earn €1700 per point in Poland.

The British promoters pay for mechanics even insurance at times and have to get the ruder to the track it’s not financially viable .

Top rider scores 10 paid 12 £150 per point £1800.00 plus all the extras say total 2250.00  and that’s minimum for 1 rider at 15 entrance your first 150 people pay for the top rider and you haven’t even thought of all the costs involved 

you do that on a home and away basis then your first 300 people pay for that rider.

Simply put British speedway cannot compete with the other leagues unless things change.

Sweden can afford them on smaller crowds. As I said it is all down to securing proper money for the product. BT have done us no favours. If Eurosport take over the tv rights they need to pay proper money for it.

44 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Pooles season finished the moment they stopped using r/r at 2 and lost Covatti into the main body

If they had operated that against us with Klindt , Josh and Covatti taking r/r rides and Covatti having 6 or 7 rides from reserve they would have won

THJ at reserve with Wells and Covatti at 2 cost them any chance of the league

Hate to say it, i totally agree with all of that post 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

you can’t debate so you post vitriolic crap (that means aggressive criticism if you don’t understand that word) 

So you don’t think the stars of the sport will make ny difference to crowd levels? You are not worth debating with. Suggest you go back to your brexit mates in the general section where you have some protection. B)

A dead cat bounce Steve..

Happens every time a world class rider returns..

A few weeks after the novelty has worn off we are back to the same crowd levels ( but with a huge earner now to pay)..

Fixed nights meant superstars would come back and we wouldn't need guests to replace them anymore as the nights were fixed and fixtures were in stone..

What happened to that?

Did they not get the memo?

Or was the stark financial reality of bringing them back more the issue?

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, mikebv said:

But crowds plummeted whilst top riders rode over here so how does that work?

Woffy rode as World Champ for a season at Wolves but I didn't see any 'full house' signs going up at Monmore or indeed anywhere else..

Woofy, Emil, Majic, Doyle, Ward, Holder, NKI, Nicki P, Zagar, Lindback, Lindgren and Hancock have all rode over here in the timeline when thousands of punters decided to stop going..

Maybe due to the annual inflation busting price increases to pay for them?

Or maybe due to the ever changing fixture list to accommodate their own agendas?

Or maybe down to when these guys had a meeting clash due to their full calendar (as so in demand), you ended up with a plethora of guests to replace them, thus rendering meetings with minimal credibility and fans feeling short changed?

It's £18 to watch second, third, fourth and fifth level riders now..

How much would be charged to watch the top guys?

They don't come cheap and are there enough sponsors willing to cough up what will need to be a whole leagues worth of superstars, as if each team doesn't have one then those without will struggle..

Thousands have deserted the domestic product over the past ten years or so..

Having Global superstars in front of them each week didn't prevent this exodus..

NB As an aside, the best meeting I saw this year was the Colts v Kent. All for a tenner for me and free for my 16 year old lad. I would actually defy any world class riders to have delivered better such was the quality of racing and entertainment on offer. Hence we went back six more times this season.

Pooles crowds started to drop the moment we lost Darcy and Chris, things have never been the same since 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

Pooles crowds started to drop the moment we lost Darcy and Chris, things have never been the same since 

Yep. Top riders attract bigger crowds.

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Why are you bringing politics into this. This forum is about speedway not whether you voted to leave or remain everybody has there own veiw

• Like 3

https://www.poole-speedway.com/news/view/2019-10-12-fans-views-sough-as-pirates-look-to-shape-their-future

Club owner Matt Ford has revealed that the 2019 season proved to be the most difficult financially in his 21 years at the helm of the club, explaining "The change of race days from Wednesdays, our night for 50 years or more, to Thursdays had an impact on crowds. We are all creatures of habit and had got used to speedway on a Wednesday, myself included. It was not something I wanted to happen but the league chose to go with Mondays and Thursdays to avoid other international commitments.

"We took on a new main team sponsor, No1 Carpet Cleaning, which I can confirm has gone into liquidation owing the club a substantial amount of money – around 75 per cent of the agreed fee for 2019. After a highly successful 2018 where we saw the Pirates crowned Champions we  had hoped for an increased level in Season Ticket sales. Unfortunately although tickets went on sale as early as December, sales dropped by 20% on the previous year. Likewise gate receipts for home matches have been down 20-25% and as much as 50% lower when the club ride live on television.

"I have also listened to many supporters express opinions over the lack of varied opposition within the Premiership which currently has just 7 teams represented.

"That has led me to ask a few questions and I am therefore seeking feedback from the supporters to the questions list below. We are seeking feedback via email ONLY to info@poole-speedway.com by 8pm on Monday (14th October), so that we can consolidate the thoughts and opinions which will then help us determine how best to take the club forward in the future."

"I would emphasise however, that although the club still remains for sale, we are only prepared to do that should the right offer be made and it is the intentions of the current management team to still be running the club in 2020 with my son Dan taking a more hands-on role and becoming far more involved in a move that I feel certain will benefit the club. He is very keen to be  more active and his ideas to take the club forward, on a day-to-day basis and on the promotional side, are probably better than mine now, although I will be keeping an eye on certain aspects and staying heavily involved in team building."

"The questions that I would like you, the supporters, to consider are:

a) Would you prefer to see us ride in a league with more opponents and if so, how important is the level to you?  -  As an example, the Ipswich one-to-seven that came to us for the play-offs had six riders who also compete in the Championship.  We automatically see the championship  as a lower level but in reality many riders are competing in both leagues.

b) How much of an issue has the change of race day been to you and people you know? Specifically, how much has it impacted on your ability to attend? How many people do you know who have been unable to attend due to the change?
and, finally,

c)  how can we improve things to make the stadium more appealing?   I ask that bearing in mind that our stadium is rented and that means the speedway club take nothing from the sales of refreshments. While I would love to give everyone plush new surroundings like Belle Vue, what we have is what we have and that’s not a criticism of the landlord or anyone else, just the facts. I am sure we will see a certain amount of development of the site over time, including some social housing, and I see that as a positive if it means we are going to obtain a new stadium within the same grounds as part of that package.

So, please let us know by email as soon as possible, because it could be that your points need further review or a response and this medium will make it easier for us to get back to you should we need to clarify any further points.

4 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Sweden can afford them on smaller crowds. As I said it is all down to securing proper money for the product. BT have done us no favours. If Eurosport take over the tv rights they need to pay proper money for it.

MOST Swedish tracks probably have bigger crowds and far less overheads but more and more riders are opting to just ride in Poland. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

https://www.poole-speedway.com/news/view/2019-10-12-fans-views-sough-as-pirates-look-to-shape-their-future

Club owner Matt Ford has revealed that the 2019 season proved to be the most difficult financially in his 21 years at the helm of the club, explaining "The change of race days from Wednesdays, our night for 50 years or more, to Thursdays had an impact on crowds. We are all creatures of habit and had got used to speedway on a Wednesday, myself included. It was not something I wanted to happen but the league chose to go with Mondays and Thursdays to avoid other international commitments.

"We took on a new main team sponsor, No1 Carpet Cleaning, which I can confirm has gone into liquidation owing the club a substantial amount of money – around 75 per cent of the agreed fee for 2019. After a highly successful 2018 where we saw the Pirates crowned Champions we  had hoped for an increased level in Season Ticket sales. Unfortunately although tickets went on sale as early as December, sales dropped by 20% on the previous year. Likewise gate receipts for home matches have been down 20-25% and as much as 50% lower when the club ride live on television.

"I have also listened to many supporters express opinions over the lack of varied opposition within the Premiership which currently has just 7 teams represented.

"That has led me to ask a few questions and I am therefore seeking feedback from the supporters to the questions list below. We are seeking feedback via email ONLY to info@poole-speedway.com by 8pm on Monday (14th October), so that we can consolidate the thoughts and opinions which will then help us determine how best to take the club forward in the future."

"I would emphasise however, that although the club still remains for sale, we are only prepared to do that should the right offer be made and it is the intentions of the current management team to still be running the club in 2020 with my son Dan taking a more hands-on role and becoming far more involved in a move that I feel certain will benefit the club. He is very keen to be  more active and his ideas to take the club forward, on a day-to-day basis and on the promotional side, are probably better than mine now, although I will be keeping an eye on certain aspects and staying heavily involved in team building."

"The questions that I would like you, the supporters, to consider are:

a) Would you prefer to see us ride in a league with more opponents and if so, how important is the level to you?  -  As an example, the Ipswich one-to-seven that came to us for the play-offs had six riders who also compete in the Championship.  We automatically see the championship  as a lower level but in reality many riders are competing in both leagues.

b) How much of an issue has the change of race day been to you and people you know? Specifically, how much has it impacted on your ability to attend? How many people do you know who have been unable to attend due to the change?
and, finally,

c)  how can we improve things to make the stadium more appealing?   I ask that bearing in mind that our stadium is rented and that means the speedway club take nothing from the sales of refreshments. While I would love to give everyone plush new surroundings like Belle Vue, what we have is what we have and that’s not a criticism of the landlord or anyone else, just the facts. I am sure we will see a certain amount of development of the site over time, including some social housing, and I see that as a positive if it means we are going to obtain a new stadium within the same grounds as part of that package.

So, please let us know by email as soon as possible, because it could be that your points need further review or a response and this medium will make it easier for us to get back to you should we need to clarify any further points.

These are like essay questions!! I feel like I am back at school :D

Edit - interesting that the third question is about the stadium and not track prep!! 

Edited by lisa-colette

23 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

MOST Swedish tracks probably have bigger crowds and far less overheads but more and more riders are opting to just ride in Poland. 

There’s only 56 places in the extra league. Riders need more than one meeting a week in the Nice league to make a healthy living. 

13 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The thing with you is everything you say is done to get a reaction me me me you need to be the centre of attention.But the real truth is you talk so much crap nobody takes you seriously  i dont certainly on speedway matters clueless.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Haha 1

I’m sure top riders returning would bring more folk through the door but the sport had been run so badly over the last ten years or so that I fear we are beyond the point of no return now unfortunately. It all needs a major overhaul and to be pointed in a completely different direction before we can think about getting the big boys over here. Poland paying the kind of money they do might rule it out anyway. 

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

I’m sure top riders returning would bring more folk through the door but the sport had been run so badly over the last ten years or so that I fear we are beyond the point of no return now unfortunately. It all needs a major overhaul and to be pointed in a completely different direction before we can think about getting the big boys over here. Poland paying the kind of money they do might rule it out anyway. 

Havvys idea of getting rid completely of the points limit has merit to a point. Let clubs build to what they can afford. But perhaps with the save at that there needs to be a couple of u21s and a minimum of three Brits per team. Just a thought nothing more.

• Like 1