British Speedway Forum
DC2

Poole 2020

1 hour ago, Rockstar99 said:

Could add many others to the list as well. Eastbourne & Somerset just to name a couple.

No point riding Premiership just to please some fans because if you cant afford to then it's only going to put the club at further risk in the long run.

Agree. UK doesn't need the top riders either. Just prepare the tracks well. Improve the overall presentation of the product. Make everything feel more serious. Riders like Robert Lambert who only turn up when they feel like it just to them to run along to Poland & Sweden. Fans would rather see a dedicated 1-7 rather than 6 riders backed up by a NL rider due to someone making up an excuse not to ride. 

Always been that way. If Poole are top with the best team then fans turn up in numbers. If they aren't top and don't look like winning the league then some of those fans don't bother going. Not dedicated fans who stick by the club no matter what. Quite a few glory hunters. Poole have some good loyal fans but some not so. Support the club only when we're winning mentality is bad.

Poole's track is awful. The money needs to be spent on the track rather than the stadium. Not a good spectacle at all. Dangerous that could cause serious injury. The bank holiday fixtures end up as complete dust bowl's. Non bank holiday fixtures see's the track cutting up with ruts and holes appearing most of the time. Have to sort the track out. 

Regarding the track, there is a rider who doesn't agree with you! Hans Andersen! He says a rider who has issues with it is just speaking 'hot air.' Wasn't surprised by his comments tbh as when he was a Poole rider he did say the 'bumps' and 'ruts' were just home advantage! Also said if they made it smoother they would make it easier for other teams to win there! 

Edit - he only said this last week btw! 

Edited by lisa-colette

25 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

Redevelopment of the track at Swindon has been a great success actually - just redevelopment of the stadium that’s the problem

Of course it has, even your promotion said the old track was to big. One observation for me. You put a bit more banking on the turns, for riders to come off and you would have near the perfect track. Now, is the time to do it..

I do believe presentation need to be improved ten fold. Get it like Poland. Riders in team suits ( Matt should get this sorted) no mechanics standing around smoking and chatting behind the riders during parade. Riders presented with helmets off. No away team sitting on their bikes desperate to push off, causing issues (Cook)

Start heat 1 at exactly 7.30 on the dot. Not 7. 38 or 7.41. Poland starts within a second or two of the start time. Copy it here.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, poole keith said:

drop down it is then!

Yes and more people through the turnstiles .more regular speedway and a cheaper product 

Must confess it's all a bit confusing,,

Some fans wouldnt want to see their team in the Championship as they believe that the standard of racing wont be as good as the Premiership...

Even though they have spent last season (and many before), watching Championship riders riding at their track every meeting, often for their own teams...

In fact the majority of Premiership riders they will watch are also Championship riders..

I presume it's the same logic that has some saying that young novice British riders should be given plenty of opportunities to ride, but, at the same time, saying that they wouldn't pay to watch that standard of rider.. :rolleyes:

So in summary, (if I have it right)...

Some people will quite happily watch Championship riders riding in the Premiership for their own teams, (and willingly pay Premiership prices to do so), but are not prepared to watch the very same Championship riders riding in the Championship for their own teams, (at a lower admission cost than they currently pay)..?

Boris should really ask some of these people to sort out Brexit, the EU wouldnt stand a chance.. :D

Edited by mikebv

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Regarding the track, there is a rider who doesn't agree with you! Hans Andersen! He says a rider who has issues with it is just speaking 'hot air.' Wasn't surprised by his comments tbh as when he was a Poole rider he did say the 'bumps' and 'ruts' were just home advantage! Also said if they made it smoother they would make it easier for other teams to win there! 

One rider. 

Home track advantage yet most of the Poole riders moan about the track when they're losing heavily at home. 

16 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Interestingly in the Echo of says if we drop down the cost saving is 75%!! :o 

And where did they pluck that figure from ?  Costs would be slightly cheeper, but the club still has to pay out a hell of a lot of money, insurances, St johns sheeters riders points money travel expences,  Stadium Rent. The list goes on. The difference is you would get speedway vertually every week, so whats lost on the swings is gained on the roundabouts.
And im very sure that Matt would puut together a top notch side. If that was the case then then crowds will still come. Hopefully back to a weds, and maybe slightly reduced admission. But if Matt put together a good side i would dobt fans would complain if the admission price stayed the same

• Confused 1

Bournemouth Echo

OWNER Matt Ford revealed how Pirates’ SGB Premiership future could be in doubt – and wanted fans to have their say.

The club promoter on Saturday took to the Pirates’ website to ask supporters their feelings on the future direction of the club.

A key issue from those questions was the importance of which level fans would be happy to see the Wimborne Road outfit perform at next season.

Having been crowned champions in 2018, Poole topped the regular Premiership standings this campaign, in which only seven sides competed to reach the four-team play-offs.

The SGB Championship – British Speedway’s second tier – had 11 clubs competing during 2019.

The Daily Echo understands Pirates must make a decision as to their league future by the British Speedway Promoters’ Association AGM, which begins on November 13.

Quizzed on the future of Pirates, the most successful British speedway club of the modern era, Ford told the Daily Echo: “We have to question if us staying in the Premiership, with a lack of opposition, is the way forward long term for the club.

“Not just for one or two years, because whichever decision we make I feel is for the longevity.

“But it must be made with the thoughts of the public I feel, rather than just being made in the Poole Speedway office.

“One or two people have already mentioned to me that they would like to see more opposition and different clubs.

“I am really now trying to get an overall picture rather than just one or two people perhaps I know personally.”

The Daily Echo last week revealed Pirates had taken a significant financial hit, after 2019 main sponsor No1 Carpet Cleaning Limited went into liquidation.

Asked how much a drop to the Championship would save Poole financially, Ford replied: “I would say it’s about 75 per cent of the costs that we experience.

“That would have a pretty big impact on the club.”

Championship fixtures this season had also been run on Wednesday, Pirates’ historic regular race night until Thursdays were introduced for the Premiership this year.

“I would certainly look at the change of race day also having an impact on crowd levels,” added Ford.

“Crowds are down around 20 per cent.

“After many years of the club riding on a Wednesday, of course it was always going to be a situation where we would see how we went during the course of the year.

“But it’s not been a good move. I do feel the club and the fans do prefer Wednesday speedway. It’s something we have all got used to over a number of years.”

A full list of questions for supporters can be found at poole-speedway.com. Responses can be emailed to info@poole-speedway.com.

Pirates are accepting replies to the questions until 8pm on Monday – further talks with league chiefs set to take place in the coming week.

Edited by lisa-colette

Pirates should drop out. It's a no brainer. If the fickle fans don't get behind the team then oh well.

Asked how much a drop to the Championship would save Poole financially, Ford replied: “I would say it’s about 75 per cent of the costs that we experience.

“Crowds are down around 20 per cent.

Championship fixtures this season had also been run on Wednesday, Pirates’ historic regular race night until Thursdays were introduced for the Premiership this year.

Answer is staring Matt in the face. Drop down to the Championship. Unless you want a small group of fickle glory hunting fans to run the club into the ground spoiling it for the true fans. 

3 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

And where did they pluck that figure from ?  Costs would be slightly cheeper, but the club still has to pay out a hell of a lot of money, insurances, St johns sheeters riders points money travel expences,  Stadium Rent. The list goes on. The difference is you would get speedway vertually every week, so whats lost on the swings is gained on the roundabouts.
And im very sure that Matt would puut together a top notch side. If that was the case then then crowds will still come. Hopefully back to a weds, and maybe slightly reduced admission. But if Matt put together a good side i would dobt fans would complain if the admission price stayed the same

From Matt Ford, look at the article above!!

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Not surprisng really..

Most riders earn their money from their home meetings,  hence usually join tracks they have had success on...

For the fans it is all about entertainment, for a good many riders it is all about earning money..

(Not a criticism by the way, the jobs a dangerous one so they should seek to get as much reward as they can).

For Speedway as a whole now, I do believe it's a false economy having massive home track advantage as the Leagues are simply so devoid of kudos (and financial reward), that winning 'at all costs" is a complete waste of time and money..

Putting on a full night of off track entertainment, allied to a fantastic night of racing on a well prepared track, should be the No1 priority and aim for all tracks if they want to prosper...

Not 'doctoring' tracks to win something that not too many followers of the sport actually care about...

Seems like a no brainer to drop down for Poole

Lets hope the true Poole fan votes with his feet and if the club drop down still make sure they go every week and follow their side 

5 of the 7 teams, including Poole , in this years top flight have all had spells in the league below

Poole were very successful in the 1989-90 seasons and i used to enjoy them coming to Foxhall with the likes of Adams, Boyce, The Langdons, Allan, Stevens............all good matches

1 minute ago, Gavan said:

Seems like a no brainer to drop down for Poole

Lets hope the true Poole fan votes with his feet and if the club drop down still make sure they go every week and follow their side 

5 of the 7 teams, including Poole , in this years top flight have all had spells in the league below

Poole were very successful in the 1989-90 seasons and i used to enjoy them coming to Foxhall with the likes of Adams, Boyce, The Langdons, Allan, Stevens............all good matches

WITH a new TV deal, including money, already on the table cannot see Poole or any other of the current PL teams dropping down. More likely that at least one CL track will move up.

• Like 2