British Speedway Forum
DC2

Poole 2020

17 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WITH a new TV deal, including money, already on the table cannot see Poole or any other of the current PL teams dropping down. More likely that at least one CL track will move up.

I guess it depends if the new deal can compensate for the 50% crowd drop for a tv meeting? :unsure:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I guess it depends if the new deal can compensate for the 50% crowd drop for a tv meeting? :unsure:

One answer to that is to announce which meeting is being televised 30 minutes before the meeting starts 

• Like 1

If any team wanted to drop down - it’s not a foregone conclusion and they would need to be accepted into that league.

• Like 1

As a Speedway fan, not a Poole fan or a Pool hater, my opinion is we see on a regular basis mainly the same riders competing in all leagues and most of the riders are of almost equal ability.   A top league of only 7 teams is ridiculous so why bother to have Premier and Championship leagues, combine both and have a National League to accommodate up and coming riders and also any older/other riders who maybe want to continue in Speedway but are unable to complete to the standard that they were at in their younger days, also the older/more experienced riders could pass on their knowledge to the youngsters.  One larger league would enable more fans to hopefully attend more local derbys and we wouldn't be watching the same riders week in week out surely that would be better for the sport.   Let the clubs choose the night they want to ride on, local issues ie other regular sport in the area, transport issues, school holidays etc can have a negative impact on fans attending, surely the best people to decide which night the speedway meeting should be on at their club are the people who are most closely associated with that club and the area it is in. 

Will the riders like one league?  possibly not as it would probably mean a cut in their income and they may have to think about taking on other jobs to supplement that but surely in the long run that would be more preferable than losing more clubs or even the sport altogether in this country.

I have lost a number of clubs within travelling distance to me over the years, ie West Ham, Hackney, Rayleigh, Lakeside, Rye House and Rye House amongst other issues being a victim of change of race night causing the crowds to plummet.  I have this year been going to Eastbourne and although, as some might say it's only in the Championship, the meetings, the atmosphere, in fact everything about it I have enjoyed and the Promotion are trying to encourage new fans every week and they have also rewarded regular fans with discounts etc. and to me it seems a club "on the up"  rather than one on the way out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Given that most of the PL teams are made up of CL riders , I don’t think there are enough riders to have one big league

20 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

One answer to that is to announce which meeting is being televised 30 minutes before the meeting starts 

The equipment vans might give it away! 

The only problem with one league is it may force certain clubs to drop out of it and go to the lowest level or poss close. For example,,, one of the best tracks in the country is scunthorpe, and would be fantastic to have some good tracks involved, but I very much doubt their fan base is even slightly close to being big enough to afford a good rider to spearhead their team, so only the richer clubs will again eventually survive

1 minute ago, lisa-colette said:

The equipment vans might give it away! 

Only to those who live near the track 

7 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Quite possibly but no other sport feels the need to do it do they? 

For me, maybe go the other way and massively market the hell out of the event locally and make the night an advert for your club and the sport..

If there is TV money then reduce the admission costs and deliver a full nights entertainment. .

So many people "used to go" and are still very interested in the sport but now just watch on TV. Therefore do something that makes them sit up and think "Now that might be worth another visit"..

I always think Speedway clubs would benefit massively by having a mindset of treating every match like its their last meeting ever. ie if it was, how they would market it, how they would promote it, etc etc

Sadly, maybe one day it will be their last meeting ever if they don't start promoting themselves better when the TV cameras come to town..?

10 minutes ago, mikebv said:

For me, maybe go the other way and massively market the hell out of the event locally and make the night an advert for your club and the sport..

If there is TV money then reduce the admission costs and deliver a full nights entertainment. .

So many people "used to go" and are still very interested in the sport but now just watch on TV. Therefore do something that makes them sit up and think "Now that might be worth another visit"..

I always think Speedway clubs would benefit massively by having a mindset of treating every match like its their last meeting ever. ie if it was, how they would market it, how they would promote it, etc etc

Sadly, maybe one day it will be their last meeting ever if they don't start promoting themselves better when the TV cameras come to town..?

They have had enough time to do that but the promoters do not seem to do much promoting, the two main things that did work was having a good meeting and reducing the entry price when they were on tv.  Just look at some of the dross we have seen on tv this season which would not have encouraged new or fans who have not been for a while to start going. 

Edited by A ORLOV

1 minute ago, mikebv said:

I think you need to pretend to be a Poole fan and email answers to the questions! ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Asked how much a drop to the Championship would save Poole financially, Ford replied: “I would say it’s about 75 per cent of the costs that we experience.

“That would have a pretty big impact on the club.”

The way I read that is that the CL costs about 75% compared to PL therefore costs are 3 quarters the top level figures

That would seem more realistic to me given many costs (rent, insurance, track maintenance  etc) are pretty much fixed whichever league

Rider points costs perhaps halved therefore an overall reduction of 25% looks a realistic position

• Like 2

I suppose with more money on the table a reduction in admission could be an option as well  when being televised

Edited by ray c
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WITH a new TV deal, including money, already on the table cannot see Poole or any other of the current PL teams dropping down. More likely that at least one CL track will move up.

So with all the money 'already on the table' you have to ask why then is Matt Ford asking Poole fans to vote what they want to do?

This money cant be enough to help Poole speedway or there would be no need for Matt Ford to ask the fans what they think..............he would be welcoming in the new money and stating that Poole will be top league

This just seems to me that there are much bigger issues at Poole then......................as you say a team may move up, so why would the sports most successful club of recent times even be considering the thought of dropping down?