British Speedway Forum
DC2

Poole 2020

8 hours ago, poole keith said:

just attention seeking i think ray

Nope, diverting attention to take the heat out of a thread when it starts to get a little eeky and nasty and then get it back on topic in a nicer frame.

• Like 3

FORDS THANKFUL FOR FEEDBACK

16/10/19

The 2019 SGB Premiership trophy which looks set to be heading back to Swindon with the Robins holding a half-time eight point lead in their play-off final against Ipswich, following their first leg away win in Suffolk on Tuesday night, 49-41, may have been seen at Wimborne Road for the last time.

Defending champions Poole had held the trophy since their 2018 success when, then reignining champions, Swindon  failed to reach the play-offs and the Pirates beat Somerset in a dramatic semi-final before getting over the line against King's Lynn, but that 8th top flight championship victory under Matt Ford's tenureship might well be their last, as they still consider their options for the 2020 season.

The Poole management canvassed supporters for their views as to whether a more varied fixture list and a switch back to Wednesday racing would be a more palatable option if they were to drop to the SGB Championship. That would bring second tier racing to Wimborne Racing back for the first time since their 1990 National League title season and top flight British Speedway a thing of the past.

Club owner Matt Ford admitted "We were deeply encouraged by the very many responses we received to the supporter's survey we launched on the website at the weekend which has given us plenty of things to consider but I would emphasise that although we find ourselves at the crossroads at the present time and the club remains for sale, it is our intention to continue with our tenureship until such time as the right offer comes in and so there will be racing, at one level or another, at Wimborne Road in 2020. As I have already mentioned, Dan will be taking much more of a hands-on approach with the club and its day-to-day running and I know that he will be considering many of the suggestions that came out during the survey."

3 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

FORDS THANKFUL FOR FEEDBACK

16/10/19

The 2019 SGB Premiership trophy which looks set to be heading back to Swindon with the Robins holding a half-time eight point lead in their play-off final against Ipswich, following their first leg away win in Suffolk on Tuesday night, 49-41, may have been seen at Wimborne Road for the last time.

Defending champions Poole had held the trophy since their 2018 success when, then reignining champions, Swindon  failed to reach the play-offs and the Pirates beat Somerset in a dramatic semi-final before getting over the line against King's Lynn, but that 8th top flight championship victory under Matt Ford's tenureship might well be their last, as they still consider their options for the 2020 season.

The Poole management canvassed supporters for their views as to whether a more varied fixture list and a switch back to Wednesday racing would be a more palatable option if they were to drop to the SGB Championship. That would bring second tier racing to Wimborne Racing back for the first time since their 1990 National League title season and top flight British Speedway a thing of the past.

Club owner Matt Ford admitted "We were deeply encouraged by the very many responses we received to the supporter's survey we launched on the website at the weekend which has given us plenty of things to consider but I would emphasise that although we find ourselves at the crossroads at the present time and the club remains for sale, it is our intention to continue with our tenureship until such time as the right offer comes in and so there will be racing, at one level or another, at Wimborne Road in 2020. As I have already mentioned, Dan will be taking much more of a hands-on approach with the club and its day-to-day running and I know that he will be considering many of the suggestions that came out during the survey."

Honestly

Is this pre AGM manoeuvring? is Matt angling for one league or something else, "a switch back to Wednesday racing for a more varied fixture list and a more palatable option to drop to the Championship" really? Obviously a 7/8 team top league does not seem to suit and going on the tramp to Newcastle Berwick Edinburgh and Glasgow in the cold wet north (yes and that's in Summer as well) would appear to be a more palatable and viable option.

However knowing the machinations that go on between the top clubs and especially the promotions is this setting the scene for something bigger that is going on in the background and all this is to allow Matt a fall back position if things don't turn out as expected (or wanted) I honestly don't know however there is something just not sitting right with this for me IMHO; If a club like Poole are considering dropping down a league due to cost there isn't much hope for the rest of the sport (again IMO)

Be interesting to see what comes out of the AGM as I am hearing certain promotions are hardening their positions on the big changes they deem are needed and require implementing to take the sport forward and Buster may have a mini rebellion on his hands...

Regards
THJ

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Is this pre AGM manoeuvring? is Matt angling for one league or something else, "a switch back to Wednesday racing for a more varied fixture list and a more palatable option to drop to the Championship" really? Obviously a 7/8 team top league does not seem to suit and going on the tramp to Newcastle Berwick Edinburgh and Glasgow in the cold wet north (yes and that's in Summer as well) would appear to be a more palatable and viable option.

However knowing the machinations that go on between the top clubs and especially the promotions is this setting the scene for something bigger that is going on in the background and all this is to allow Matt a fall back position if things don't turn out as expected (or wanted) I honestly don't know however there is something just not sitting right with this for me IMHO; If a club like Poole are considering dropping down a league due to cost there isn't much hope for the rest of the sport (again IMO)

Be interesting to see what comes out of the AGM as I am hearing certain promotions are hardening their positions on the big changes they deem are needed and require implementing to take the sport forward and Buster may have a mini rebellion on his hands...

Regards
THJ

Definitely not about manouvering. with MF now living and working abroad and having had the worst financial year since he bought the club in 1999, due to a combination of issues eg lost sponsorship and lower attendances despite being around the top of the Premiership for much of the past season, he wants to do the best to put the club back on a firm financial footing for his son - Co-promoter Dan Ford - to run in future. As he's said it would be around 25% cheaper to run in the Championship (at its current level) so thats why its one of the options.

Unconfirmed reports suggest that a very high proportion of the fan replies are accepting of Championship racing on the basis of a more regular Wednesday fixture list - but we shall have to see what the final outcomes of the AGM are?! 

Edited by Skidder1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Definitely not about manouvering. with MF now living abroad and having had the worst financial year since he bought the club in 1999, due to a combination of issues eg lost sponsorship and lower attendances despite being around the tip of the Premiership for much of the past season, he wants to do the best to put the club back on a firm financial footing for his son - Co-promoter Dan Ford - to run in future. As he's said it would be around 25% cheaper to run in the Championship (at its current level) so thats why its one of the options.

Unconfirmed reports suggest that a very high proportion of the fan replies are accepting of Championship racing on the basis of a more regular Wednesday fixture list - but we shall have to see what the final outcomes of the AGM are?! 

Honestly

Thing is if it ends up with everyone coming down i,e, one league; I will guarantee that any money available will not only be spent on providing a competitive team but there will be the additional travelling cost (to all points north of Belle Vue) so any perceived savings will be lost. Its a precarious juggling act financially I would say because crowd levels will drop off if the team are not competitive whatever league they choose to go into.

Regards
THJ

3 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Thing is if it ends up with everyone coming down i,e, one league; I will guarantee that any money available will not only be spent on providing a competitive team but there will be the additional travelling cost (to all points north of Belle Vue) so any perceived savings will be lost. Its a precarious juggling act financially I would say because crowd levels will drop off if the team are not competitive whatever league they choose to go into.

Regards
THJ

Not if the one league is split into regions!!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

So, not one league then.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Honestly

Told you there was an angle; I worked on that for four years with Darryl Illingworth at Newcastle for the BSPA putting forward proposals and it was thrown out; although Matt was one of the promoters who supported the ideas we were promoting to be fair there would have to be a big shift for that to happen

Been there done that and definitely got the tea shirt...

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Edited for accuracy

9 minutes ago, Grachan said:

So, not one league then.

Yes one league of the same level but competed for by regional divisions and then play-offs to save on the excessive travelling and costs that other posters have referred to.

9 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Told you there was an angle; I worked on that for four years with Darryl Illingworth at Newcastle for the BSPA putting forward proposals and it was thrown out; although Matt was one of the promoters who supported the ideas we were promoting to be fair there would have to be a big shift for that to happen

Been there done that and definitely got the tea shirt...

Regards
THJ

Maybe but a lot has changed in 4 years. I hear that the likes of the respected  Len Silver have been strongly lobbying for such a structure.

• Haha 1

I don't think they have much choice to switch to the championship league .. with difficulties finding a main sponsor to come on board . They really don't have much alternative to cut there cloth accordingly .

If they stay , they may end up in a worse position . 

Shame they can't bring a around town taxi company on board as a sponsor , try and be seen associated and seen  on a booking app . 

Or Hendy ford as a main sponsor 

Would be great to see riders moving between the sdl / mdl into the premiership team if the gap can be breached if possible . 

Edited by Apollo

3 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Yes one league of the same level but competed for by regional divisions and then play-offs to save on the excessive travelling and costs that other posters have referred to.

So, 2 leagues then.

2 minutes ago, Apollo said:

I don't think they have much choice to switch to the championship league .. with difficulties finding a main sponsor to come on board . They really don't have much alternative to cut there cloth accordingly .

If they stay , they may end up in a worse position . 

Shame they can't bring a around town taxi company on board as a sponsor , try and be seen associated on a booking app . 

Or Hendy ford as a main sponsor 

Would be great to see riders moving between the sdl / mdl into the premiership team if the gap can be breached if possible . 

United taxis are one of several 'smaller' sponsors/advertisers (as indeed I am!!) but clearly not in a position to consider main team sponsorship!  Maybe one of the other 'senior' sponsors can be persuaded?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grachan said:

So, 2 leagues then.

Who said anything about 2?  You know like the EFL (English Football LEAGUE) with a number of divisions - the main difference being they would all be of a similar level.

The Bournemouth Echo have put a poll up asking if Poole fans will attend CL racing.. Was on about 70% when I voted. 

• Like 2