British Speedway Forum
DC2

Poole 2020

Just now, Steve Shovlar said:

Poole is 74 miles on google maps. 

Poole stadium to Somerset stadium is 84.3 miles on google maps using their respective postcodes :rolleyes:

18 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Wrong. Swindon is 78 miles from Somerset speedway. Poole is 74 miles.

Looking at this season’s results, Poole are a million miles from Swindon.  :)

Just now, Steve0 said:

Poole stadium to Somerset stadium is 84.3 miles on google maps using their respective postcodes :rolleyes:

Arguing over a distance of a couple of miles.   This forum hits new depths.  :drink:

• Like 4

I’ll chip in with Apple maps. “Fastest routes” have Somerset stadium to Poole stadium, 75 miles, or 1 hour 43 minutes. 

Somerset stadium to Swindon stadium, 78 miles, but a much quicker travelling time of 1 hour 13 minutes. 

So that clears that one up :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

Poole Stadium to Somerset Speedway Is exactly 74 miles. Poole, Dorchester, Yeovil, Somerton,  Street, Puritan, Oak Tree Arena.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9kdqeizt9ll3sl7/IMG_7529.PNG?dl=0

28 minutes ago, DC2 said:

The difference is, for years they’ve been successful and have been “the example” for failing promotions that Poole have encouraged to continue, as without the others Poole would have no opponents to compete against.

But sadly Poole have led the others down the garden path of oblivion, when instead they should have had a more realistic view of what is financially viable.

Having first call on a ridiculous asset base, poaching riders from other clubs and manipulating rules for their own end, none of which has been in the best interests of speedway, has been detrimental to other clubs.

How can Poole be to blame for other clubs runnings / circumstances? Is it our fault clubs like lakeside, Coventry, Oxford, Stoke have closed? Clubs have closed for years for one reason or another before the current Poole promotion so your "lay the blame at Poole's doorstep" is rather unfair and misinformed. 

Poole have had their own fair share of hardships over the years when they had to drop down a league before. They were nothing years ago whilst other clubs were very successful. Now the balance is changing with Swindon, Belle Vue and Wolverhampton very strong. 

There have been deep set problems within the sport for years for one reason or another and I feel you are extremely naive with your opinion that it is all Poole's fault because they were successful for a period of time. 

1 minute ago, Jason.C said:

How can Poole be to blame for other clubs runnings / circumstances? Is it our fault clubs like lakeside, Coventry, Oxford, Stoke have closed? Clubs have closed for years for one reason or another before the current Poole promotion so your "lay the blame at Poole's doorstep" is rather unfair and misinformed. 

Poole have had their own fair share of hardships over the years when they had to drop down a league before. They were nothing years ago whilst other clubs were very successful. Now the balance is changing with Swindon, Belle Vue and Wolverhampton very strong. 

There have been deep set problems within the sport for years for one reason or another and I feel you are extremely naive with your opinion that it is all Poole's fault because they were successful for a period of time. 

Yes, I take your point, but Poole have pulled far too many stunts, like signing Miedzinski despite Swindon’s objections, pinching Klindt on a bargain average, keeping Newman as a protected draft pick, and the Swindon meeting EFs and Joe Screen injury pretence to manipulate averages.

Sharp practice for short term success may appeal but if it pushes your opponents closer to season on season losses, it eventually comes home to roost.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Yes, I take your point, but Poole have pulled far too many stunts, like signing Miedzinski despite Swindon’s objections, pinching Klindt on a bargain average, keeping Newman as a protected draft pick, and the Swindon meeting EFs and Joe Screen injury pretence to manipulate averages.

Sharp practice for short term success may appeal but if it pushes your opponents closer to season on season losses, it eventually comes home to roost.

Don’t forget ‘textgate’..:wink:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DC2 said:

So you're telling me that no other club ever has signed a rider on a bargain average, signed a rider who wants to ride for the club which he is perfectly entitled to do so by law or manipulated an average, pulled up or laid down a bike?  

7 minutes ago, DC2 said:

I suppose, in retrospect, Poole can be forgiven all of that as they did accept the Shovlar transfer from Swindon to be their number one fan.

Phew, we dodged a bullet there.  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jason.C said:

So you're telling me that no other club ever has signed a rider on a bargain average, signed a rider who wants to ride for the club which he is perfectly entitled to do so by law or manipulated an average, pulled up or laid down a bike?  

On the same scale?  No.

Just now, Jason.C said:

What has been illustrated is a repeat pattern of p*** poor behaviour that has been detrimental to British speedway. We won’t mention Coventry and Peterborough.

Using your examples, shown above, how many instances can you demonstrate of other clubs poor behaviour?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, theblueboy said:

What has been illustrated is a repeat pattern of p*** poor behaviour that has been detrimental to British speedway. We won’t mention Coventry and Peterborough.

Using your examples, shown above, how many instances can you demonstrate of other clubs poor behaviour?

We'd be here a long time :lol:

No club is perfect. Fact. A big problem is other clubs and their fans with a holier than thou attitude who are too easily prepared to blame Poole for their mistakes & misfortunes. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jason.C said:

No doubt you could find an example or 2 for every club.

The difference with Poole is doing so has seemed to be the basis of their operating model almost to the point where if they play it straight you find yourself second guessing what the angle must be....:rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

What a strange thing to do. Why announce this the day between the two matches of the play off final? Seems very strange timing. Almost as though he is trying to take attention away from the teams in the final.

Why come out with all this today of all days? 

I was thinking that. On my timeline on Twitter it is about Poole dropping down! And I follow a few Swindon fans too. Sure it will change back tomorrow!