British Speedway Forum
DC2

Poole 2020

4 minutes ago, therefused said:

Just because Poole don’t get those crowds doesn’t mean other clubs don’t 

Yep, gutting for Poole fans that a badly prepared, dusty track, early season home defeats, underperforming Aussie superstars and a lack of interest and promotion from Matt Ford, has seen their once competitive club go down the drain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

And then you woke up...

You are a fool :icon_smile_clown: 

I have no need to dream it - I've seen it each week with my own eyes and have no reason to lie or exaggerate 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

You are a fool :icon_smile_clown: 

I have no need to dream it - I've seen it each week with my own eyes and have no reason to lie or exaggerate 

its a sad world down here at poole sometimes .its nice to see some tracks are heading in the right direction its a shame that my team may not be with you next season :t:

Surely with the right level of promotion, crowds at Poole should be one of the highest in the country?  I appreciate that there were financial losses mainly due to the loss of their title sponsor but surely with the new TV deal and the success Poole have become accustomed to, there isn’t a need to drop a league.  Around the country, it can be shown that crowd levels increase with success on track - so given that Skidder says there isn’t much room in the trophy cabinet for more trophies, it just doesn’t stack up that crowd levels have decreased by about 20%.  Unless this is another example of people falling out of love with speedway and finding other More stimulating and value for money interests to spend their leisure funds.  If Poole are having that problem then British Speedway is closer to extinction than I thought - and dropping a league won’t solve that.

Edited by Steve0

5 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

Surely with the right level of promotion, crowds at Poole should be one of the highest in the country?  I appreciate that there were financial losses mainly due to the loss of their title sponsor but surely with the new TV deal and the success Poole have become accustomed to, there isn’t a need to drop a league.  Around the country, it can be shown that crowd levels increase with success on track - so given that Skidder says there isn’t much room in the trophy cabinet for more trophies, it just doesn’t stack up that crowd levels have decreased by about 20%.  Unless this is another example of people falling out of love with speedway and finding other More stimulating and value for money interests to spend their leisure funds.  If Poole are having that problem then British Speedway is closer to extinction than I thought - and dropping a league won’t solve that.

Good post Steve. Some of that 20% is down to race night. I know SS dismisses it but I think it plays a bigger part than he thinks.

About dropping down a league, maybe they have looked at the success Leicester have had since dropping down. Plus a Poole rider did ride for Leicester last season maybe they have had an insight into that success. 

• Like 1

I remember Poole dropping to the Second Division and they were very good  in it with the likes of Steve Schofield and Craig Boyce... 

What were the crowds like then compared to when they dropped down and did they increase a lot when coming back up when Marvyn Cox was the new number 1 if not mistaken? 

11 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

Surely with the right level of promotion, crowds at Poole should be one of the highest in the country? 

What? More than the often quoted national 'best' of 1,500?

8 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Good post Steve. Some of that 20% is down to race night. I know SS dismisses it but I think it plays a bigger part than he thinks.

About dropping down a league, maybe they have looked at the success Leicester have had since dropping down. Plus a Poole rider did ride for Leicester last season maybe they have had an insight into that success. 

Significant difference in that Leicester have been challenging near the top, compared to there time in the top flight.

Poole is a different kettle of fish.

Also significant that only 70% have said they would support a Championship team.. so that could mean an immediate loss of 30%.

Then when some of those 70% see what the actual side is... could be even more.

I still believe Poole are hoping simply to get Wednesday back and stay in top flight.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, gustix said:

What? More than the often quoted national 'best' of 1,500?

Ya should have been at Swindon the other night, a few thousand there, blokes singing and dancing without tops on, you'd have loved it!

30 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Significant difference in that Leicester have been challenging near the top, compared to there time in the top flight.

Also significant that only 70% have said they would support a Championship team.. so that could mean an immediate loss of 30%.

I still believe Poole are hoping simply to get Wednesday back and stay in top flight.

1. Who knows what percentage of the crowd voted 'online' on the Echo survey.

2. I would hope people use other teams in the CL team as comparison before condemning the team.

3. They can't be given Weds nights in the PL. I'm sure Buster would offer it straight away if he could. Even if in the slim chance that Buster could offer it, you could have no Danes, that rules out Klindt and Josh! (As he has signed for a Danish team next season too.)

Edited by lisa-colette

39 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Have you read steve shovler on twitter interesting comment 

1 minute ago, ray c said:

Have you read steve shovler on twitter interesting comment 

Yeah, it is a fair enough point. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

1. Who knows what percentage of the crowd voted 'online' on the Echo survey.

2. I would hope people use other teams in the CL team as comparison before condemning the team.

3. They can't be given Weds nights in the PL. I'm sure Buster would offer it straight away if he could. Even if in the slim chance that Buster could offer it, you could have no Danes, that rules out Klindt and Josh! (As he has signed for a Danish team next season too.)

Klindt has already ruled himself out on Twitter, calling it a backward step.

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

I don't think your point about success can be under estimated. Word I got was that a hugely successful NL Birmingham drew bigger gates than a disastrously unsuccessful EL Brummies side - there were certainly some on here who swore that they would never go given the drop in standards and ended up choking on their own venom as Birmingham won back to back titles.

It is true that if the team is poor attendances could fall lower than the 70% figure stated, but if they are successful some of the 30% might go anyway. Stopping going altogether in the face of a winning side is much harder than walking away if they are rubbish whatever league they are in, and it isn't as though the team will be massively different - as Matt Ford stated, 70% of the riders will be the same anyway. He's right. 

One thing I believe is certain : Ford won't have made this decision without a deal of thought, analysis and consideration.