British Speedway Forum
DC2

Poole 2020

51 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Klindt has already ruled himself out on Twitter, calling it a backward step.

I was talking about Klindt in the PL not CL, to the point Bwitcher was making about Poole having Weds in the PL. I don't see how it can happen with Denmark riding Weds too and would rule out 2 riders that you would want to have. 

5 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

And then you woke up...

Why do you have to belittle other clubs all the time, no wonder you get so much flak.

• Like 1

Biggest crowd I’ve seen in years at Leicester last night for the play off 1st leg against Glasgow. I certainly didn’t dream that either

On 10/19/2019 at 3:36 PM, lisa-colette said:

I guess it depends on if people's work hours are fixed or are in shift patterns. They do need to think about doing 'child free with a paying adult' in the holidays though. They used to do that all the time in the early 2000 era. 

Any club that doesn’t go for a children and parent deal in the summer is beyond crazy.

Get families with children is the lifeblood of all clubs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I don't think your point about success can be under estimated. Word I got was that a hugely successful NL Birmingham drew bigger gates than a disastrously unsuccessful EL Brummies side - there were certainly some on here who swore that they would never go given the drop in standards and ended up choking on their own venom as Birmingham won back to back titles.

It is true that if the team is poor attendances could fall lower than the 70% figure stated, but if they are successful some of the 30% might go anyway. Stopping going altogether in the face of a winning side is much harder than walking away if they are rubbish whatever league they are in, and it isn't as though the team will be massively different - as Matt Ford stated, 70% of the riders will be the same anyway. He's right. 

One thing I believe is certain : Ford won't have made this decision without a deal of thought, analysis and consideration. 

How many times is this going to be trotted out.. NO THEY WILL NOT.

Championship teams are significantly weaker and that will soon be realised when the Poole team is announced.

The difference between Leicester and Poole.. and Birmingham you mentioned... Poole are used to success, used to the top riders. A lot of their fans have already left as the top riders disappeared... even a table topping side this year couldn't bring them back... 

Edited by BWitcher

47 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Don't think the hospital let him go out further than Poole. 

Thankfully.

2 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Any club that doesn’t go for a children and parent deal in the summer is beyond crazy.

Get families with children is the lifeblood of all clubs.

They might do a family ticket. But they always used to do U16s free with a paying adult. But it seemed to get gradually phased out. They might do it for Good Friday but I didn't see anything for the Summer holidays. 

Just now, lisa-colette said:

They might do a family ticket. But they always used to do U16s free with a paying adult. But it seemed to get gradually phased out. They might do it for Good Friday but I didn't see anything for the Summer holidays. 

All kids under 16 should be free with a parent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I don't think your point about success can be under estimated. Word I got was that a hugely successful NL Birmingham drew bigger gates than a disastrously unsuccessful EL Brummies side - there were certainly some on here who swore that they would never go given the drop in standards and ended up choking on their own venom as Birmingham won back to back titles.

It is true that if the team is poor attendances could fall lower than the 70% figure stated, but if they are successful some of the 30% might go anyway. Stopping going altogether in the face of a winning side is much harder than walking away if they are rubbish whatever league they are in, and it isn't as though the team will be massively different - as Matt Ford stated, 70% of the riders will be the same anyway. He's right. 

One thing I believe is certain : Ford won't have made this decision without a deal of thought, analysis and consideration

not to say more than a cursory glance at his bank balance!!!!!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

Currently 67% of riders in the premiership ride in the championship. 

Josh G would have a converted average of at least 10.93 and Klindt 11.14 in the CL , that shows you the difference in standard of the two leagues.

25 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

How many times is this going to be trotted out.. NO THEY WILL NOT.

Championship teams are significantly weaker and that will soon be realised when the Poole team is announced.

The difference between Leicester and Poole.. and Birmingham you mentioned... Poole are used to success, used to the top riders. A lot of their fans have already left as the top riders disappeared... even a table topping side this year couldn't bring them back... 

I suggest you check the figures.

Its actually 61% ( including 40% of heat leaders) at present. Include Porsing, Lidsey & Berge (who all average under 5) and it goes up to 65%. Conceivably, any rider averaging under 6.5 could do, too (Andersen has already been mentioned on this thread as a potential no 1). Now we are up to 71%.  

It depends on the points limit, of course, but I think Ford is - at worst - only slightly out.  

Many have mentioned that it was the change of race night that damaged Poole's attendances not their on track performances or the quality of riders, for 2019 at least. A switch back to Wednesday night with a successful team could actually improve attendances despite the overall drop in rider quality.  

Taking into account Matt Ford's estimate of a 25% cut in costs, you can see his reasoning for the change.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

Josh G would have a converted average of at least 10.93 and Klindt 11.14 in the CL , that shows you the difference in standard of the two leagues.

True, but if you discount all those over 7 (other than those who already ride CL such as Cook, Masters, King etc) there are just 10 who almost certainly couldn't or wouldn't drop down. That's 20% of the PL rider strength. 

I think its more a question of the CL points limit being high enough to include all those who could ride at that level. 

I also think those assessed averages are hugely inflated. Danny King would be over 11 (8.67), Erik Riss 9.9 (8.4) and Sam Masters 11.02 (9.05).

Edited by Halifaxtiger

1 minute ago, Halifaxtiger said:

True, but if you discount all those over 7 (other than those who already ride CL such as Cook, Masters, King etc) there are just 10 who almost certainly couldn't or wouldn't drop down. That's 20% of the PL rider strength. 

I think its more a question of the CL points limit being high enough to include all those who could ride at that level. 

Well riders signed so far suggests to me that the limit will be high. 

• Like 1