British Speedway Forum
DC2

Poole 2020

9 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

You should know more than me.. Just my opinion at the mo.

If Ford has really asked to drop down, then let him.. Don't rally around to keep them up, or give him what he wants to stay up..

It's said that he runs it as a business for the last 15 years plus. Best sponsored, best crowds, dearest for families with kids. Made money. One season he hasn't the toys come out of the pram.

Put that against most of the other clubs that struggle, and run despite a loss, year after year, hoping it will pick up. People moan about Buster trying to keep speedway at the top level going with TV coverage, yet Ford wants out at the fist sign of a loss. Yet Poole fans think Ford is the ** ??

Poole fans have respect for Ford as if it wasn't for him we would have folded long ago, he bought the club and made it profitable, all of the clubs don't lose money every year, some have but they wouldn't exist if they lost money every year, that is why you have sponsors and if your main sponsor folds and you lose a lot from your expected budget then you have to consider other options. I am sure this decision hasn't been done lightly and i can understand why it has been done. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Poole fans have respect for Ford as if it wasn't for him we would have folded long ago, he bought the club and made it profitable, all of the clubs don't lose money every year, some have but they wouldn't exist if they lost money every year, that is why you have sponsors and if your main sponsor folds and you lose a lot from your expected budget then you have to consider other options. I am sure this decision hasn't been done lightly and i can understand why it has been done. 

will it be a cheaper option at the end of the day not so sure myself . when we see the quality of riders on show we shall see also there may not be as many league meetings as we had in the premiership last season 

10 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

You should know more than me.. Just my opinion at the mo.

If Ford has really asked to drop down, then let him.. Don't rally around to keep them up, or give him what he wants to stay up..

It's said that he runs it as a business for the last 15 years plus. Best sponsored, best crowds, dearest for families with kids. Made money. One season he hasn't the toys come out of the pram.

Put that against most of the other clubs that struggle, and run despite a loss, year after year, hoping it will pick up. People moan about Buster trying to keep speedway at the top level going with TV coverage, yet Ford wants out at the fist sign of a loss. Yet Poole fans think Ford is the ** ??

I agree with a majority of what you said.

I get they lost money last year through sponsors leaving....................but you would have thought a top club like Poole would have sponsors lining up.....you would have thought that winning the league would lead to more season ticket sales not fewer........something must be badly wrong with the way the club was promoted hence why ticket sales were low....

Poole fans are used to being one of the best teams and paying out for the best riders.....................i can see many Poole fans voting with their feet this coming season.

Brand new TV deal on the table and still Poole want to drop down.

Matt Ford is a business man and when Poole speedway is doing well he was happy to pay out and get his return................the sport is in a mess and so rather then try and change the fortunes he decides to sell up and walk away............

Matt Ford is not a speedway man , he is only in the sport for his gain...............when he sees he isnt going to get a gain he walks away................

11 hours ago, jenga said:

klindt has a championship averge , does that count ?

No, it doesn’t. It’s calculated against his latest average, which is a PL one.

14 minutes ago, Gavan said:

I agree with a majority of what you said.

I get they lost money last year through sponsors leaving....................but you would have thought a top club like Poole would have sponsors lining up.....you would have thought that winning the league would lead to more season ticket sales not fewer........something must be badly wrong with the way the club was promoted hence why ticket sales were low....

Poole fans are used to being one of the best teams and paying out for the best riders.....................i can see many Poole fans voting with their feet this coming season.

Brand new TV deal on the table and still Poole want to drop down.

Matt Ford is a business man and when Poole speedway is doing well he was happy to pay out and get his return................the sport is in a mess and so rather then try and change the fortunes he decides to sell up and walk away............

Matt Ford is not a speedway man , he is only in the sport for his gain...............when he sees he isnt going to get a gain he walks away................

Skidder has already said what you say is factually incorrect (I'm sure as a Poole sponsor he would know) so maybe read what he said? 

If the TV deal hasn't changed Poole's mind, then you have to wonder if the money being paid out is that much? 

10 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

About 4 :P As I have said. Will hold my hands up if i'm wrong.

Feels like a hundred! Too much effort to be a bluff imo. Though have to see if CVS can change his mind yet? 

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Skidder has already said what you say is factually incorrect (I'm sure as a Poole sponsor he would know) so maybe read what he said? 

If the TV deal hasn't changed Poole's mind, then you have to wonder if the money being paid out is that much? 

Whats factually incorrect?

Did Poole lose 2 main sponsors? Yes

Were season ticket sales down even though you won the league? Yes

Based on those facts has Matt Ford has decided to drop a league? Yes

All im alluding to is that at the first sign of problems he has decided to walk away..........

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gavan said:

All im alluding to is that at the first sign of problems he has decided to walk away..........

He hasn't walked away, he has the club up for sale but won't walk away until a suitable buyer is found. Ford saved the club when it was on its knees. I am not his biggest fan when it comes to some of the things he has done over the years but it is my view the club would have gone under without him. 

Edited by foreverblue
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Gavan said:

But yet again you are being very selective with your opinions.

Matt has not 'walked away' as you put it. He still owns the club and is merely attempting to ensure that the club has a sustainable financial base for his son to run day-to-day whilst he is almost permanently out of the country. His personal approach to existing and potential sponsors will be on a much more remote basis, but he has another co-promoter to look after that side of things alongside son, Danny!!

The big fall-off in attendances were on the TV league meetings, of which Poole had more than any other club. The season-ticket area of the main grandstand always looked reasonably busy - and I didn't miss a single home meeting.

8 hours ago, chris4gillian said:

I don't and never have done...that's just the very few Poole eediots on here!

Whilst it will be a huge shame us dropping down, we need to continue to support the Pirates to ensure they're existence continues!

I'm in the minority, but I think the Pirates will be in the Prem .It would be a shame for Poole fans, because you are used to being, at or very near the top of the tree for a long time. It will come hard for a lot of the supporters to take if i'm wrong, and you do drop down. Ford said it's 25% cheaper  to run in the lower league. That sounds about right to me. But the price to get in will be a bit less, and theres the TV money (if it's worth having next season), sponsors may not get the advertising on TV, so won't be some keen. When you think about it you have only got to be 2-300 fans down and it all gets very tight. I think Ford is cleverer than that. 

• Like 1

Well the jungle drums have Josh G and the Holder brothers riding for Sheffield. Surely if Poole weren’t moving down then that wouldn’t be the case?

I believe Klindt has also already done a deal elsewhere. Of course nothing is confirmed, but if it’s a “bluff” from Matt Ford and Poole then it’s one of the biggest bluffs I’ve ever seen. 

On another note, if Chris Holder does come back and ride for Sheffield with his brother, that would annoy me even more if I were a Poole fan. One or the other on their own not so much, but together they’ll get the best out of each other I’m sure. 

Edited by Arch Stanton
  • Like 1

Theres a couple of 2019 Premiership riders that have been offered contracts at Poole for 2020.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Well if we do drop down to the championship, i wonder if Gavan will join us 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Theres a couple of 2019 Premiership riders that have been offered contracts at Poole for 2020.:rolleyes:

As 70% of them ride in the CL, that’s no surprise!

It’s the 30% of good ones that you’ll miss!  :)

Edited by DC2
  • Like 3