British Speedway Forum
DC2

Poole 2020

9 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

Could I have been right all along :)

I am afraid you are wrong .I would have preferred top league speedway but what will be will be 

In all honesty Ford has had 20 trophy laden years at Poole , wouldn’t blame him to just walk away now and why not? 

He’s made a mint from the club and that’s buisness. 

2 hours ago, foreverblue said:

It may be sensible financially but dropping down a league is not brilliant, we are the most successful team in the modern era, one bad year and we jack in the top league,i will still go but it won't be the same. Teams in most sports do everything they can to stay in the top league, we just give it up willingly. 

I know you are a regular away supporter  will you still do it next season ? or will you wait  and see . I am the same as you not happy with this at all .I thought it was ok in the beginning but thinking about it no

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foreverblue said:

It may be sensible financially but dropping down a league is not brilliant, we are the most successful team in the modern era, one bad year and we jack in the top league,i will still go but it won't be the same. Teams in most sports do everything they can to stay in the top league, we just give it up willingly. 

Somerset have done it having almost bankrupted their club after one season in Premiership.  MF hasn't got a bottomless pit of money. Much of Poole's top level success has come on the back of much hard work in and around the local area in getting big sponsorship deals.  The season just gone has seen not only the new, last minute main sponsor going into liquidation and costing the club around £35k but also saw the departure of 3 'major' club sponsors before the season started - one expected because they were at the end of their 2-year deal and 2 others due to a shift in their own respective business development plans.

No club can afford to lose a six figure income from their bottom line without it having a major effect. 

To operate at a level which has - according to MF - a 25% lower cost base at a time when he is also less 'hands-on' due to his developing new business interest abroad, is a very sensible approach when leaving the day-to-day running of the club to his son Danny!

Resuming 'local' derbies with the likes of Somerset and Eastbourne (and maybe Plymouth and Kent too) and seeing some other different opposition is all good as its all about the racing and the atmosphere for me - and many others it would seem. 

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

To operate at a level which has - according to MF - a 25% lower cost base at a time when he is also less 'hands-on' due to his developing new business interest abroad, is a very sensible approach when leaving the day-to-day running of the club to his son Danny!

You best change your name to Spinner1!

It seems clear that the Fords have lost interest, whether that be due to moving elsewhere or to failing to replace the sponsors who have left.

To lose one sponsor might be unfortunate but to lose three sounds careless!

And it gives a terrible message to potential buyers of Poole Speedway: we’ve run it and been successful for years but we’re getting out now because it’s no longer viable. 

This decision alone has probably made the club valueless.

It’s clear that anyone coming in will have to start from scratch so why would they pay for no sponsorships, a fan base that can’t sustain the club and an asset base that can’t be used in the CL?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Somerset have done it having almost bankrupted their club after one season in Premiership.  MF hasn't got a bottomless pit of money. Much of Poole's top level success has come on the back of much hard work in and around the local area in getting big sponsorship deals.  The season just gone has seen not only the new, last minute main sponsor going into liquidation and costing the club around £35k but also saw the departure of 3 'major' club sponsors before the season started - one expected because they were at the end of their 2-year deal and 2 others due to a shift in their own respective business development plans.

No club can afford to lose a six figure income from their bottom line without it having a major effect. 

Resuming 'local' derbies with the likes of Somerset and Eastbourne (and maybe Plymouth and Kent too) and seeing some other different opposition is all good as its all about the racing and the atmosphere for me - and many others it would seem. 

I agree with that financially it makes sense but as a fan it doesn't sit well, we have been so long in the top league it seems sad to me to have to drop out and I think despite all the flak we get we will be missed. I know MF has worked very hard to make the club viable but maybe not being here on a day to day basis and leaving running of the club to his son hasn't worked.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, foreverblue said:

That's put it better than me. All the years loyal Poole fans have lined his pockets. Ford only seems loyal to himself, not the fans, or even riders over the years.

The worry i got if we lost money this season what happens next season if it happens again will they walk away .19 yrs being a success 1 yr losing money and we drop a league ? Just my opinion 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

That's put it better than me. All the years loyal Poole fans have lined his pockets. Ford only seems loyal to himself, not the fans, or even riders over the years.

Well it is his bloomin' money, up to him what he decides to do with it! 

I definitely do not see it as being as bad as Ray, FB and SS make out. I've seen CL racing before and tends to be a lot better than PL. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Well it is his bloomin' money, up to him what he decides to do with it! 

I definitely do not see it as being as bad as Ray, FB and SS make out. I've seen CL racing before and tends to be a lot better than PL. 

My comment has nothing to do with the racing just see it as a negative step ps yes i know its his money but we give it to him in the first place :D

Edited by ray c
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

He is a businessman at the end of day.  Definitely more loyal than Avtar Sandhu who ultimately killed off the club he said he wanted to save.  It’s like politicians, they will tell you what you want to hear to get your support and then do whatever they want!

Good luck to Poole in the CL and don’t forget to take SS, LC,SM and S1 with you!

3 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

This is surely no surprise? You have summarised it excellently.

4 hours ago, foreverblue said:

I agree with that financially it makes sense but as a fan it doesn't sit well, we have been so long in the top league it seems sad to me to have to drop out and I think despite all the flak we get we will be missed. I know MF has worked very hard to make the club viable but maybe not being here on a day to day basis and leaving running of the club to his son hasn't worked.

Hasn't worked??? It hasn't happened yet. That's the plan for 2020!!

5 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Anyone care to estimate the sale price of Poole Speedway ? I struggle to understand what I would be getting for my money ? 

Depends whether you would want to run Premiership or Championship?