British Speedway Forum
DC2

Poole 2020

Whilst not wanting to put them out of business,  in Peterboroughs case under Rick Frost that season he made sure that the Panthers didn't track the intended team that was being lined up by them, rumours of sly rule changes that were being brought in specifically to stop the Panthers being to strong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

Whilst not wanting to put them out of business,  in Peterboroughs case under Rick Frost that season he made sure that the Panthers didn't track the intended team that was being lined up by them, rumours of sly rule changes that were being brought in specifically to stop the Panthers being to strong.

Yes, but where did those rumours spring from and what is there validity.?

I have a lot of time for Rick Frost.He is a genuine bloke and Speedway is poorer without him but in 2010 he was still a bit of a novice promoter. I noticed as time went on he distanced himself from the Trump Sandhu position.

The dispute was primarily about points limit s and money paid to riders. Matt Ford at the time, could have afforded it as Poole were very successful but he good see that it was going to drive some clubs out of business or at least into the lower leagues, which wasn’t going to be good for the sport. It all became academic anyway because between the lot of them they still managed to lose the TV deal and mess the sport up completely.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, E I Addio said:

I have a lot of time for Rick Frost.He is a genuine bloke and Speedway is poorer without him but in 2010 he was still a bit of a novice promoter. I noticed as time went on he distanced himself from the Trump Sandhu position.

The dispute was primarily about points limit s and money paid to riders. Matt Ford at the time, could have afforded it as Poole were very successful but he good see that it was going to drive some clubs out of business or at least into the lower leagues, which wasn’t going to be good for the sport. It all became academic anyway because between the lot of them they still managed to lose the TV deal and mess the sport up completely.

Independent body anyone?:D

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Toto said:

How can I turn up at  Poole if its closed.

It's not closed 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arthur54 said:

It's not closed 

Certainly not open at the moment

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Peterborough are definitely poorer without him

Edited by scoobydoo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, orion said:

Plenty of validity ..  i was showed  the text messages being sent at the time .. The dispute was about Ford being bitter after losing the final and then going out of his way to make sure Cov never could track the side they wanted . Pure bitterness and revenge at the expense of sport . .Boro sadly just got caught in the crossfire .

That winter cause untold damage to the sport 

Poole didn’t lose the final until 4th October. Before that , in September there was a long interview in Speedway Star with Stuart Douglas about the financial issues that needed to be addressed at the AGM. Whatever input Ford may or may not have had the financial issues were there before Poole lost the Play Offs.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Poole didn’t lose the final until 4th October. Before that , in September there was a long interview in Speedway Star with Stuart Douglas about the financial issues that needed to be addressed at the AGM. Whatever input Ford may or may not have had the financial issues were there before Poole lost the Play Offs.

Now you're getting there.

Ford bought the votes he needed by pandering to the likes of Lakeside and Eastbourne.. who basically dragged the sport down and destroyed it.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Now you're getting there.

Ford bought the votes he needed by pandering to the likes of Lakeside and Eastbourne.. who basically dragged the sport down and destroyed it.

How did he pander to Lakeside and Eastbourne ? Swindon, Belle Vue and Wolves were also opposed to the higher points limit Coventry and Peterboro wanted . Eastbourne had been losing big money for years before 2010, 

The claim being made by Toto above is that Ford wanted to “ put Coventry and Peterboro out of business without a care in the world “ . He/she was asked to explain that but hasn’t done so.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, orion said:

Plenty of validity ..  i was showed  the text messages being sent at the time .. The dispute was about Ford being bitter after losing the final and then going out of his way to make sure Cov never could track the side they wanted . Pure bitterness and revenge at the expense of sport . .Boro sadly just got caught in the crossfire .

That winter cause untold damage to the sport 

The only things Ford was ever interested in was 

1. Winning the Title.

2. Making Money.

Once he couldn’t guarantee either he lost interest, he never gave a stuff about UK speedway. 

• Like 1

Wasn`t that the time that they brought in the new rule you could only have two riders above eight point average and  Coventry had three ! don`t think it was so much about the points limit. but hey I might be wrong.

3 minutes ago, Dornier said:

Wasn`t that the time that they brought in the new rule you could only have two riders above eight point average and  Coventry had three ! don`t think it was so much about the points limit. but hey I might be wrong.

I had it in my mind that it was more about the conversion rate for riders moving up a league which was agreed prior to the AGM at a meeting that Coventry weren't invited to.Consequently that screwed up the bees plans as they had got deals to take two riders from the lower division Kenni Larsen being one (can't recall the other ).

2 hours ago, E I Addio said:

How did he pander to Lakeside and Eastbourne ? Swindon, Belle Vue and Wolves were also opposed to the higher points limit Coventry and Peterboro wanted . Eastbourne had been losing big money for years before 2010, 

The claim being made by Toto above is that Ford wanted to “ put Coventry and Peterboro out of business without a care in the world “ . He/she was asked to explain that but hasn’t done so.

Rule changes were agreed to that benefited certain clubs, ones that wouldn't normally have past. It was you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. 

Lakeside were infamous for rolling over to Poole.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

I had it in my mind that it was more about the conversion rate for riders moving up a league which was agreed prior to the AGM at a meeting that Coventry weren't invited to.Consequently that screwed up the bees plans as they had got deals to take two riders from the lower division Kenni Larsen being one (can't recall the other ).

That was one of the reasons yes.