British Speedway Forum
DC2

Poole 2020

Just now, E I Addio said:

The AGM was in November. The season didn’t start till March. Its the same every year. The team building rules are agreed at the AGM and then everyone has a level playing field to build a team within the rules set. 
Ford didn’t get a “little gang “ together. Every promoter left in the room after Cov and Peterborough walked out voted unanimously for the team building rules, including Ronnie Russell.

Correct they are . sadly the rules were spoken about  and sorted some time before by the little gang  that was the whole point  . not for the good of the sport but for Ford to make sure that had  the max effect on cov likely 1 to 7 .. as i asked you before are  you trying to tell  us the rules changes  were just a massive concidence ?

I would hardly say setting your own rules up by doing favs for each other is a level playing field or plotting with others while leaving other clubs  out in the dark .

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

He did not understand that Speedway even then was in the hands of Spivs and wideboys, and run under a totally different set of rules ,decency and morality  than the business  world he was used to.

You telling me normal business is not full of spivs and wideboys? I have been in business for 40 years and that’s what most business is made up of! Speedway is no different from the real world. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Matt Ford can be an easy target but if the sport had other promoters with the same brains and drive then it would be in a much better place than it currently finds itself.

My opinion and many of course will disagree.

i would hardly say driving most of your crowd away and having to end up in Div 2 takes much drive and brains  ..He started off ok but then started to cheat before running it into the ground the last few years .

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, orion said:

Correct they are . sadly the rules were spoken about  and sorted some time before by the little gang  that was the whole point  . not for the good of the sport but for Ford to make sure that had  the max effect on cov likely 1 to 7 .. as i asked you before are  you trying to tell  us the rules changes  were just a massive concidence ?

I would hardly say setting your own rules up by doing favs for each other is a level playing field or plotting with others while leaving other clubs  out in the dark .

The rules are changed every year. It’s what the fans are always moaning about. Nothing new there. If everyone knows in November what the team building rules are they all have the same ability to build a team within those rules, but as Steve said in his previous post there is no point in having a league with a few favourites and the rest also rans. 

52 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

The rules are changed every year. It’s what the fans are always moaning about. Nothing new there. If everyone knows in November what the team building rules are they all have the same ability to build a team within those rules, but as Steve said in his previous post there is no point in having a league with a few favourites and the rest also rans. 

Every year the basis for the next season is effectively agreed at pre meetings by August to then be ratified in November - a simple box tick in most cases

If those decisions were subsequently altered it would be perfectly 'legal' but unusual and arguably immoral if certain teams had started in good faith

Would be a typical example of not breaking the rules but being against the spirit

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Of course the rules are new every year but that has zero to do with what when on .. Making rules up that fav you in any sport does not give others the same  ability to build a team a within those rules ...thats just common sense 

1 hour ago, orion said:

Of course the rules are new every year but that has zero to do with what when on .. Making rules up that fav you in any sport does not give others the same  ability to build a team a within those rules ...thats just common sense 

Which specific rule favoured Matt Ford ?

48 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Which specific rule favoured Matt Ford ?

Making Cov weaker quite suited Ford and of course that was the main point . Ward being under 8 was also  perfect once the one rider over 8 was brought in, a point made by many at the time . We all know that rule would never seen the light of day if Ward and Holder were both over 8   . it also allowed  bjane to go to Eastbourne if i remember what of course is very handy when you want  another club to vote for the same rules as you . 

• Like 4

The PL conversion change was a typical Ford move. He used it to his benefit for Chris Holder and Darcy Ward.

After missing out on Kenni Larsen and Sundstrom, he was bitter and the conversion rate was moved to 60 percent.

Edited by KeirStarmerFan
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, E I Addio said:

The AGM was in November. The season didn’t start till March. Its the same every year. The team building rules are agreed at the AGM and then everyone has a level playing field to build a team within the rules set. 
Ford didn’t get a “little gang “ together. Every promoter left in the room after Cov and Peterborough walked out voted unanimously for the team building rules, including Ronnie Russell.

Ford was a major player in what was decided at AGM,s because he had the rider assets that a lot of clubs wanted for the next years Speedway, you would have to be incredible naive to think otherwise.

i can also remember a certain Poole match at Swindon and another involving Poole at Peterborough when averages were manipulated, both incidents were investigated by the SCB at the time.

I certainly have no wish to see Poole or any other speedway close but to paint Matt Ford as some kind of UK speedway saviour is a bit rich and just insults peoples intelligence.

As I said before Matt Ford just cared about Winning Titles and Making money at Poole.

• Like 8

and this is the issue with having the people who have a stake in the teams set the rules for the competition.

• Like 1

Imagine being a major company who wanted to get involved sponsoring the league and gaining access to this thread and reading about the way the sport self governs...

Fred Karno's circus would be a better bet for them..

Did Matt Ford manipulate the situation? Well, if he did, (and who will ever know?), it was because he could...

And that is the biggest nonsense in all of this..

A local Darts and Crib league would be embarrassed to run itself the same way.. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, one of clubs said:

Matt Fraud is one of the reasons British Speedway is in terminal decline, even before Covid. Whilst being brilliant for Poole, British Speedway has been decimated. Now he reaps what he has sewn. 

Wow, I wonder if he realises he has this much power! This thread is brilliant for entertainment value. I wonder if you all believe what you say. Worrying if you do! 

• Like 1

Interestingly Matt hardly ever went to the agm. Normally someone there on his behalf. 

36 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Interestingly Matt hardly ever went to the agm. Normally someone there on his behalf. 

Lol perhaps he didn't need to,  I expect he'd sorted everything to his liking beforehand 

• Like 5