British Speedway Forum
DC2

Poole 2020

2 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

I think EIA needs a reminder of what was going on around that time.Ford was unhappy that Coventry had managed to keep Shamek at reserve for so long, IMO they used the very same criteria that Ford himself used many times (ie they played Ford at his own game)and he didn't like it .Pawlicki's 16 +1  did for Poole on the second leg meeting and Ford reacted by taking in his firework display, turning off the hot water to the visitors shower room & removing the Champagne from the bar area. Hardly the reaction  expected from a mature person.

Then came the sudden rapidly arranged meeting by a select few who connived a change in the conversion factor for lower league riders moving up, effectively screwing up bees deals for two riders already in place. I've seen comments that the teams shouldn't be selected before the AGM but we all know that it was the accepted way of doing things for years ,and probably stilll is now. We also had the re assessment of Pawlicki's average, another very unfair decision. 

Despite all the protests to the contrary it seems blatantly obvious that Ford was the Prime Mover in all that went on in the winter of discontent, & to add insult to injury he then proceded to register Kildemand as a poole rider whilst the bees were in the middle of a team shuffle mid season 2011. Kildemand went public and stated that he had no knowledge of his transfer to Poole as he hadn't even spoken to Ford. But it did have the desired effect as it stopped Coventry using him again.Those are just some of the moves of a very underhanded & bitter man.

Who were the  “select few “ who connived the change ? When was it and who was present ?

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

Spot on.

It was downhill from there for the Elite League, culminating in the closure of one of the sports longest running, most successful and best supported teams.

The Elite League was already on the way down before that. Ipswich was already dropping to the lower league , and as I said before allegations of Poole cheating were in the air a year earlier when the SCB completely failed to investigate in any meaningful way, plus the TV meetings that got to heat 10 with Poole in front when the track “suddenly “became dangerous . They were appalling decisions and nails in the coffin which were unrelated to the winter of discontent.

However there were other things that contributed, like Belle Vue lying about their flooded track, and Kings Lynn cancelling a match because it was supposedly going to take 3 days to change a fuse. Most of them played a part in the decline, which got even worse when Chapman and especially Godfrey got control. As for Coventry Sandhu’s game always was to shut the place and in his words “ cover it in tarmac”

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

The Elite League was already on the way down before that. Ipswich was already dropping to the lower league , and as I said before allegations of Poole cheating were in the air a year earlier when the SCB completely failed to investigate in any meaningful way, plus the TV meetings that got to heat 10 with Poole in front when the track “suddenly “became dangerous . They were appalling decisions and nails in the coffin which were unrelated to the winter of discontent.

However there were other things that contributed, like Belle Vue lying about their flooded track, and Kings Lynn cancelling a match because it was supposedly going to take 3 days to change a fuse. Most of them played a part in the decline, which got even worse when Chapman and especially Godfrey got control. As for Coventry Sandhu’s game always was to shut the place and in his words “ cover it in tarmac”

I'm one of the 'Gods' biggest critics, but fair play to him for lobbying the council into letting him stage an excellent meeting at Scunny yesterday. Most of the promoters in this country are still hiding behind their sofas.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

All fiddling whilst Rome was burning around them....

It is wasn't so sad given the way they have so negatively impacted the sport by their actions, and driven so many fans away, it would be hilarious to list every piece of nonsense dreamt up..:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Spot on.

It was downhill from there for the Elite League, culminating in the closure of one of the sports longest running, most successful and best supported teams.

Their closure was down to their “saviour” Avtar Sandhu - who turned out be a very unsavoury character in his antics with the stadium! 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, orion said:

The point being made its that El Addio said that the rules he made were for the good of the sport .. what others are pointing out it that he only care about himself and his club

No I  didn’t say he made rules for the good of the sport. That’s your words. What I am saying is I don’t think it all blew up simply because Matt Ford was bitter about losing the Play off. There were other reasons. 

Edited by E I Addio

5 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

I think EIA needs a reminder of what was going on around that time.Ford was unhappy that Coventry had managed to keep Shamek at reserve for so long, IMO they used the very same criteria that Ford himself used many times (ie they played Ford at his own game)and he didn't like it .Pawlicki's 16 +1  did for Poole on the second leg meeting and Ford reacted by taking in his firework display, turning off the hot water to the visitors shower room & removing the Champagne from the bar area. Hardly the reaction  expected from a mature person.

Then came the sudden rapidly arranged meeting by a select few who connived a change in the conversion factor for lower league riders moving up, effectively screwing up bees deals for two riders already in place. I've seen comments that the teams shouldn't be selected before the AGM but we all know that it was the accepted way of doing things for years ,and probably stilll is now. We also had the re assessment of Pawlicki's average, another very unfair decision. 

Despite all the protests to the contrary it seems blatantly obvious that Ford was the Prime Mover in all that went on in the winter of discontent, & to add insult to injury he then proceded to register Kildemand as a poole rider whilst the bees were in the middle of a team shuffle mid season 2011. Kildemand went public and stated that he had no knowledge of his transfer to Poole as he hadn't even spoken to Ford. But it did have the desired effect as it stopped Coventry using him again.Those are just some of the moves of a very underhanded & bitter man.

Love this conspiracy that Ford turned hot water off to The away dressing room. Farcical.

• Like 1

Having read the Bournemouth Echo online, sadly I have to say this news has a sense of "deja vu" about it. 

In the case of Lakeside's venue  their demise started with the Banger Racing Promotion pulling out.  Despite all the promises from the Thurrock planning people about retaining a sports stadium ion thier Local Plan ,  it all came to nought and the site sold up for more housing. With UK government relaxing planning for the hysteria to build ever more houses I can only see this heading one way .........

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

I think EIA needs a reminder of what was going on around that time.Ford was unhappy that Coventry had managed to keep Shamek at reserve for so long, 

They didn’t  “manage “ to keep Pawlicki at reserve. Coventry didn’t manipulate the rule. Pawlicki was injured for one meeting and apparently needed in Poland , for matches not listed when he signed for Coventry. You must be about the only Coventry fan not moaning about Pawlicki being absent. I don’t think Coventry were manipulating anything, but the Pawlicki situation simply exposed a rule, in fact two rules that needed amending.  Fans then started various conspiracy theories.

1 minute ago, E I Addio said:

They didn’t  “manage “ to keep Pawlicki at reserve. Coventry didn’t manipulate the rule. Pawlicki was injured for one meeting and apparently needed in Poland , for matches not listed when he signed for Coventry. You must be about the only Coventry fan not moaning about Pawlicki being absent. I don’t think Coventry were manipulating anything, but the Pawlicki situation simply exposed a rule, in fact two rules that needed amending.  Fans then started various conspiracy theories.

The rules only needed amending when certain clubs (and mine was one of them) weren't in position to take advantage that season. 

Very co-incidental.

1 minute ago, BWitcher said:

The rules only needed amending when certain clubs (and mine was one of them) weren't in position to take advantage that season. 

Very co-incidental.

The close season AGM is the time for amending rules. 

5 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Pawlicki was rested for a meeting just before the playoffs by Rossiter so it made sure he was at reserve for the playoffs and retained his average. Clear and deliberate manipulation which was Stated to be “in the rules’ but stank the sport out. As many promotions were voicing anger at the manipulation at the time, this loophole was always going to be closed. 

1 minute ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Pawlicki was rested for a meeting just before the playoffs by Rossiter so it made sure he was at reserve for the playoffs and retained his average. Clear and deliberate manipulation which was Stated to be “in the rules’ but stank the sport out. As many promotions were voicing anger at the manipulation at the time, this loophole was always going to be closed. 

For your Pawlicki, I raise you one Joe Screen!

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I know where you are coming from Steve, but going back to the time Coventry signed Pawlicki they couldn’t possibly have know they were going to be in the play off final . It would have made more sense to keep Pawlicki  in the team to be sure of making the playoffs rather than just about making the cut. 
The number 8 rule that allowed this to happen was outdated, as were other things that were really aimed at getting PL riders into the EL , not class acts like Pawlicki. The whole thing needed amending and updating IMO but because it involved the old enemies Poole and Coventry all the conspiracy stories and urban myths sprang up.

Incidently I have a copy of the Speedway News dated April 1939 and even back then the editorial was saying that the important thing was to start the season with all teams on a level playing field. It seems that 70 years later the lesson still hadn’t been learned. 

Bottom line as far as I can see is that did the rules that allowed the Pawlicki situation arise need changing ? If the answer is yes, then the AGM was the appropriate time to do it.

2 hours ago, E I Addio said:

No I  didn’t say he made rules for the good of the sport. That’s your words. What I am saying is I don’t think it all blew up simply because Matt Ford was bitter about losing the Play off. There were other reasons. 

You said that Ford knew  that putting the points limit up would mean clubs going under and only meaning 3 clubs could battle for the title and no one wants that and he could  see  the bigger picture  .. so not not my words at all,