British Speedway Forum
DC2

Poole 2020

On 8/8/2020 at 11:34 AM, E I Addio said:

The dispute was primarily about points limit s and money paid to riders. Matt Ford at the time, could have afforded it as Poole were very successful but he good see that it was going to drive some clubs out of business or at least into the lower leagues, which wasn’t going to be good for the sport

:rolleyes:

Doris Johnson is killing British Speedway, Matt Ford is a Saint compared to that clown...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, E I Addio said:

I know where you are coming from Steve, but going back to the time Coventry signed Pawlicki they couldn’t possibly have know they were going to be in the play off final . It would have made more sense to keep Pawlicki  in the team to be sure of making the playoffs rather than just about making the cut. 
The number 8 rule that allowed this to happen was outdated, as were other things that were really aimed at getting PL riders into the EL , not class acts like Pawlicki. The whole thing needed amending and updating IMO but because it involved the old enemies Poole and Coventry all the conspiracy stories and urban myths sprang up.

Incidently I have a copy of the Speedway News dated April 1939 and even back then the editorial was saying that the important thing was to start the season with all teams on a level playing field. It seems that 70 years later the lesson still hadn’t been learned. 

Bottom line as far as I can see is that did the rules that allowed the Pawlicki situation arise need changing ? If the answer is yes, then the AGM was the appropriate time to do it.As has been said no unban myths or conspiracy stories the rules brought it was just anto cov everyone could see that and the text messages that were sent just confirmed what was crystal clear 

How could  they make sure of making the play offs ? they only just got into them from being bottom of the league . it made plenty of sense for Pawlicki to be at reserve rather than .  Sweetman .

as has been said no unban myths or conspiracy stories at. all  the rules brought it was just anti cov and  everyone could see that and the text messages that were sent just confirmed to me what was crystal clear .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Pawlicki was rested for a meeting just before the playoffs by Rossiter so it made sure he was at reserve for the playoffs and retained his average. Clear and deliberate manipulation which was Stated to be “in the rules’ but stank the sport out. As many promotions were voicing anger at the manipulation at the time, this loophole was always going to be closed. 

In all honesty, it was a Poole type move from Coventry. Ford didnt like it at all. 

• Like 2

all water under the bridge done and dusted . more concerned what happens to my speedway team now 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Blupanther said:

Doris Johnson is killing British Speedway, Matt Ford is a Saint compared to that clown...

How many promoters in this country really want to run meetings, not many I'd say. Rob Godfrey had to jump through hoops to run at Scunny on sunday, and what a great day out it was. Stock car promoters have shown what can be done. Where there's a will, there's a way.

4 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

How many promoters in this country really want to run meetings, not many I'd say. Rob Godfrey had to jump through hoops to run at Scunny on sunday, and what a great day out it was. Stock car promoters have shown what can be done. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Good point...

12 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

According to the Speedway Star the week after PL + CL were cancelled for the season very few committed to actually trying to run something if possible

Belle Vue, Kings Lynn, Ipswich; Berwick; Eastbourne ; Leicester; Redcar, Scunthorpe, Mildenhall; Plymouth indicated they would not rule out Meetings and of those, Belle Vue; Kings Lynn; Eastbourne; Leicester; Scunthorpe, Plymouth seemed most keen.  

39 minutes ago, HGould said:

According to the Speedway Star the week after PL + CL were cancelled for the season very few committed to actually trying to run something if possible

Belle Vue, Kings Lynn, Ipswich; Berwick; Eastbourne ; Leicester; Redcar, Scunthorpe, Mildenhall; Plymouth indicated they would not rule out Meetings and of those, Belle Vue; Kings Lynn; Eastbourne; Leicester; Scunthorpe, Plymouth seemed most keen.  

Scunthorpe, Redcar and Lydd have already run amateur meetings. Hopefully Scunny have shown what can be done. I feel more at risk in a supermarket than i did last Sunday.

14 hours ago, orion said:

You said that Ford knew  that putting the points limit up would mean clubs going under and only meaning 3 clubs could battle for the title and no one wants that and he could  see  the bigger picture  .. so not not my words at all,

You’ve done it again. “The bigger picture” is your expression.

13 hours ago, orion said:

How could  they make sure of making the play offs ? they only just got into them from being bottom of the league . it made plenty of sense for Pawlicki to be at reserve rather than .  Sweetman .

as has been said no unban myths or conspiracy stories at. all  the rules brought it was just anti cov and  everyone could see that and the text messages that were sent just confirmed to me what was crystal clear .

It was in the sense that when Coventry were down at the bottom it would have given them more chance to make the plays offs with Pawlicki riding, instead of being in Poland.

Do try to concentrate. I am putting forward the argument that it was not deliberate rule manipulation by Coventry, you now seem to be saying it was. To be clear, are saying Coventry manipulated the rules or not ? 

5 hours ago, E I Addio said:

It was in the sense that when Coventry were down at the bottom it would have given them more chance to make the plays offs with Pawlicki riding, instead of being in Poland.

Do try to concentrate. I am putting forward the argument that it was not deliberate rule manipulation by Coventry, you now seem to be saying it was. To be clear, are saying Coventry manipulated the rules or not ? 

If you can keep winning with or without Pawlicki and make the play offs with  him at reserve then its a perfect storm . little point in making plays off if you cant win them . Did Cov break any rules ? no 

Edited by orion

5 hours ago, E I Addio said:

You’ve done it again. “The bigger picture” is your expression.

You made out in your own words that Ford was making rules that for the future of the sport  rather than for his own club .. so yes the big picture 

2 hours ago, orion said:

You made out in your own words that Ford was making rules that for the future of the sport  rather than for his own club .. so yes the big picture 

Read my words again.  I said driving clubs out of business wasn’t going to be good for the sport , I didn’t say Ford was making all rules for the future of the sport rather than his own club.  If you are going to quote someone quote them verbatim instead of your own  interpretation of it . You do this all the time as a distraction when we get down to questions you dont want to answer,.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E I Addio said:

Read my words again.  I said driving clubs out of business wasn’t going to be good for the sport , I didn’t say Ford was making all rules for the future of the sport rather than his own club.  If you are going to quote someone quote them verbatim instead of your own  interpretation of it . You do this all the time as a distraction when we get down to questions you dont want to answer,.

My interpretation was spot on  . What are these questions on this subject for example  i have not answered by the way ? looking forward hearing them but i expect we might have one these distraction posts you are so fond of .

Never known someone get so upset and narky as you do ,, take your own advice its a only speedway forum not life and death