British Speedway Forum
DC2

Poole 2020

35 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

What do you think you are watching now?

You have a PL/CL (Championship Team) in all but name now; The likes of Glasgow and Leicester could give this Poole Team a good run for there money for sure and if this team was to drop down they would not be a "shoe in" for to win anything.

What a crass comment...

Regards
THJ

Honestly? Who would Bickley/Bailey/Jensen x2 beat often enough in the Poole side to give them a run for their money? The same applies to Leicester, although they might have a slightly better chance.

The gap is smaller now than it was but the top 4 in the EL would beat any PL side. Their top 5s are essentially all PL number ones, if not more.

FWIW, even though I disagree, I can see Shovlar's point. It's like a Premiership side dropping to league one and then expecting all their fans to show up - being a "die hard" isn't enough for some.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JCookie said:

Honestly? Who would Bickley/Bailey/Jensen x2 beat often enough in the Poole side to give them a run for their money? The same applies to Leicester, although they might have a slightly better chance.

The gap is smaller now than it was but the top 4 in the EL would beat any PL side. Their top 5s are essentially all PL number ones, if not more.

FWIW, even though I disagree, I can see Shovlar's point. It's like a Premiership side dropping to league one and then expecting all their fans to show up - being a "die hard" isn't enough for some.

While I agree with your general point I can name seven Poole riders that Rasmus Jensen could beat on a regular basis. After all Rasmus would be number one in the Poole averages if he were in their team

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, arnieg said:

While I agree with your general point I can name seven Poole riders that Rasmus Jensen could beat on a regular basis. After all Rasmus would be number one in the Poole averages if he were in their team

Of course, my mistake, got my Andersens and Jensens mixed up.

2 hours ago, noggin said:

I guess it Poole were to drop down shovlar won't be on here as he has no interest.

not so sure,last nights semi was nothing to do with poole but it didnt stop him trolling the wolves v swindon thread continously all evening.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JCookie said:

Honestly I do think that Glasgow and Leicester at home would give that Poole side a good run for their money, in fact I could fancy my lot at Newcastle giving them a good go at Brough Park and they were 2nd Bottom in the Wobblers PL/CL 2nd Tier this year...

Gone are the days of Ward, Holder and many other of the top riders who were someting special, this current bunch are what you said possibly 1s or 5s in the current 2nd Tier but they ain't GP riders that's for sure...

Regards 

THJ 

5 minutes ago, poole keith said:

not so sure,last nights semi was nothing to do with poole but it didnt stop him trolling the wolves v swindon thread continously all evening.

The trollmeister general.

• Like 1

This argument/debate is totally pointless, realistically we won't drop down. Even if Matt wanted to, the Champ promoters have to accept you, do they not? Remember when Eastbourne wanted to drop down but weren't accepted and had to ride NL before being able to move up to Champ level. I don't see it happening. More likely to try and go back to Weds nights tbh. 

2 hours ago, Mediman said:

My company Medicare sponsors Poole not for any main reward but we love the sport and I go back many years working with the Knott family.

it must be hard  trying to balance books in a sport that has so much potential but continues to shoot itself in the foot.

i have posted before that I have asked for fans involvement  and to listen to some really good suggestions but the bspa  turn a blind eye and work in their own universe of make believe.

i could not run my business like they run our beloved sport. 

With a tv deal in place the powers that be should look to bring in more teams perhaps look at 6 man teams sort out the guest and rider replacement issues to allow for fairer racing and start marketing the product.

Alas this won’t happen and each promotion will want to look after their asset which is understandable but we really need some joined up thinking.

as for Poole next season  who knows II don’t blame Matt if he decides to drop leagues or even quit he has done his best for Poole not everyone’s cup of tea but at least he has provided us with years of entertainment and  his work with us has always been top draw.

100% agree with you

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly I do think that Glasgow and Leicester at home would give that Poole side a good run for their money, in fact I could fancy my lot at Newcastle giving them a good go at Brough Park and they were 2nd Bottom in the Wobblers PL/CL 2nd Tier this year...

Gone are the days of Ward, Holder and many other of the top riders who were someting special, this current bunch are what you said possibly 1s or 5s in the current 2nd Tier but they ain't GP riders that's for sure...

Regards 

THJ 

I don't think you'd need peak Holder or Ward, or even any GP riders. Grajczonek, Kurtz and Holder have been PL number ones, Klindt/Covatti are extremely good second/third heatleaders and even Wells would clean up at reserve. I don't think any PL side could beat Poole and I would confidently say Newcastle would have 0 chance - they can't even beat most PL sides.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, JCookie said:

I don't think you'd need peak Holder or Ward, or even any GP riders. Grajczonek, Kurtz and Holder have been PL number ones, Klindt/Covatti are extremely good second/third heatleaders and even Wells would clean up at reserve. I don't think any PL side could beat Poole and I would confidently say Newcastle would have 0 chance - they can't even beat most PL sides.

A rehashed version every year seems to happen by some saying that 2nd tier teams can beat top tier teams. I laugh every time.

All anyone has to do is check the results when that happens and rarely does a 2nd tier come out winners.

By any definition the top tier is the stronger league, and whilst its at its weakest ever form it remains to strong to be threatened by a 2nd tier team.

And for someone to suggest that Newcastle could beat a top level tier made me sit down due to severe discomfort thru laughing so much. :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mediman said:

My company Medicare sponsors Poole not for any main reward but we love the sport and I go back many years working with the Knott family.

it must be hard  trying to balance books in a sport that has so much potential but continues to shoot itself in the foot.

i have posted before that I have asked for fans involvement  and to listen to some really good suggestions but the bspa  turn a blind eye and work in their own universe of make believe.

i could not run my business like they run our beloved sport. 

With a tv deal in place the powers that be should look to bring in more teams perhaps look at 6 man teams sort out the guest and rider replacement issues to allow for fairer racing and start marketing the product.

Alas this won’t happen and each promotion will want to look after their asset which is understandable but we really need some joined up thinking.

as for Poole next season  who knows II don’t blame Matt if he decides to drop leagues or even quit he has done his best for Poole not everyone’s cup of tea but at least he has provided us with years of entertainment and  his work with us has always been top draw.

Good post mate. And i think the majority of Poole fans would back that bottom sentance  decision.

• Like 1

Judging by the article in Speedy Star this week whichever league Poole Somerset or any club operate in next year, they could be without Nico Covatti who is seriously considering  giving British speedway a miss!

Just got in to read this thread and have a good chuckle.

To be clear. I am not a fan of second division speedway. The top flight is bad enough and has tested my resolve this season. I am not interested in handing over money to watch lower league racing. I won’t be the only one who has this opinion. Crowds have dropped in recent seasons as the top flight has watered down. Less top riders equals smaller crowd. Fact. 

I don’t believe Poole will drop down. Hopefully the any tv deal will be decent enough for clubs to remain secure financially. But rather no deal and no tv than BT getting a free ride to the detriment of the sport.  If fans want to watch league racing they need to come along and watch it live. Alternatively a tenner a meeting to watch the stream. But only for fans living outside a 30 mile radius. The sport would do far better with no deal, unless the money offered was close to what Sky were paying.

3 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Just got in to read this thread and have a good chuckle.

To be clear. I am not a fan of second division speedway. The top flight is bad enough and has tested my resolve this season. I am not interested in handing over money to watch lower league racing. I won’t be the only one who has this opinion. Crowds have dropped in recent seasons as the top flight has watered down. Less top riders equals smaller crowd. Fact. 

I don’t believe Poole will drop down. Hopefully the any tv deal will be decent enough for clubs to remain secure financially. But rather no deal and no tv than BT getting a free ride to the detriment of the sport.  If fans want to watch league racing they need to come along and watch it live. Alternatively a tenner a meeting to watch the stream. But only for fans living outside a 30 mile radius. The sport would do far better with no deal, unless the money offered was close to what Sky were paying.

You dont have to be a fan of lower league speedway.............but you certainly arent a fan of Poole speedway if you dont feel its worth going if they drop down..............good job Ipswich fans didnt walk away from their club when we had to drop down...........and now look where we are .... a fully deserved grand final in our first season back

I do hope for Poole speedways sake that the rest of your fans arent fickle and you are simply a lone voice............because if other Poole regular fans who attend have the same stance as you then Poole speedway will go under

'If fans want to watch league racing they need to come along and watch it live'...............what a load of tripe............we cant all be like you and have nothing else in our lives that mean we can go to every meeting..........

You live in your own unique little world

For the real true Poole fans out there i hope you continue to support your club through good and bad and not just be so used to success that when it appears to be fading you desert your team