British Speedway Forum
DC2

Poole 2020

20 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

You beat me to it.

That's not going to work in PL is it with TV etc. ? 

They have had a few meetings abandoned after delays taking them over the curfew haven't they? 

Only really feasible if they can get amended planning consent 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

It should be 25% cheaper to get in. Matt Ford said cost are 25% less. So instead of £18 it should be £13.50 next season.

Seems very reasonable. Swindon fans normally pay 35-58.

Oh, hang on, that’s the score. :)

13 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Only really feasible if they can get amended planning consent 

Yes, but that’s always a possibility, if Kent put a water - tight case together 

• Like 1

It will be a shame if Poole do drop down. I hope they don't.  They are the most successful club of recent times and because of that they do tend to attract more fans when they travel. However, the reality is that, if the PL continues, whichever team turns out to be the most successful will replace them as the team the fans will turn out in greater numbers to see when they visit.

Costs may be 25% cheaper in the CL but the risk is that crowd numbers and sponsorship money may also drop and any savings may be minimised or non existent. I suspect that for many clubs life in the CL is as financially precarious as it is in the PL.

I also don't buy the argument that it is basically the same riders in both leagues, if that is intended to suggest that there is no significant difference in standards.

Generally,  most PL teams consist of at least 4 riders who are of CL number 1 standard or better, a fifth who is of CL heat leader standard and reserves who are of CL second string standard.  CL teams have a number 1who may be of PL heat leader standard,  other heat leaders who are of PL second string standard,  second strings who are of PL reserve standard and reserves who are NL standard.

• Like 2

What a strange thing to do. Why announce this the day between the two matches of the play off final? Seems very strange timing. Almost as though he is trying to take attention away from the teams in the final.

Why come out with all this today of all days? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Seriously, the PL cannot carry on as a loss making league.

Poole are highlighting that and about time too. For too long they’ve been the successful club that has strung others along.

Now it’s biting them on the bottom.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Seriously, the PL cannot carry on as a loss making league.

Poole are highlighting that and about time too. For too long they’ve been the successful club that has strung others along.

Now it’s biting them on the bottom.

Until now they have been the club with the best sponsorship which has allowed them to be out front. Now it seems they are not and perhaps can no longer compete

Obviously Poole feel that by moving to the CL they can still be the big fish they want to be 

8 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Until now they have been the club with the best sponsorship which has allowed them to be out front. Now it seems they are not and perhaps can no longer compete

Obviously Poole feel that by moving to the CL they can still be the big fish they want to be 

The difference is, for years they’ve been successful and have been “the example” for failing promotions that Poole have encouraged to continue, as without the others Poole would have no opponents to compete against.

But sadly Poole have led the others down the garden path of oblivion, when instead they should have had a more realistic view of what is financially viable.

Having first call on a ridiculous asset base, poaching riders from other clubs and manipulating rules for their own end, none of which has been in the best interests of speedway, has been detrimental to other clubs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve0 said:

I think you’ll find Swindon is closer to Somerset than Poole - so they will have a local derby! :rolleyes:

Wrong. Swindon is 78 miles from Somerset speedway. Poole is 74 miles.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Grachan said:

What a strange thing to do. Why announce this the day between the two matches of the play off final? Seems very strange timing. Almost as though he is trying to take attention away from the teams in the final.

Why come out with all this today of all days? 

Because yesterday was the pre AGM meeting where this was discussed in detail. So if it hadn’t been announced by Poole it would have come out elsewhere.

1 hour ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

You beat me to it.

That's not going to work in PL is it with TV etc. ? 

Be ok if Eurosport get involved...

Joining two thirds of a way through a Speedway meeting is what they do best... :D

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Wrong. Swindon is 78 miles from Somerset speedway. Poole is 74 miles.

I think I will believe Google maps over you.  Door to door - Swindon is 77.3m and Poole is 84.3m.  QED

• Like 2

what ever way we all look at it I think its a sad day for poole speedway and speedway as a whole .but at the end of the day we will still have speedway at Wimborne road next season 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

I think I will believe Google maps over you.  Door to door - Swindon is 77.3m and Poole is 84.3m.  QED

I just used the AA route planner,said the same pretty much.

5 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

Poole is 74 miles on google maps. Your taking the long route via Taunton.:lol:

Edited by Steve Shovlar