British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
A ORLOV

Swindon - Wolves Play Off Semi Final now 2nd leg 10.10. 19

1 hour ago, orion said:

Crowds were  declined on a yearly basis long before  domestic tv was  televised . Speedway has always been   first from the gate most of the time . 

But, don't you think that showcasing how bad speedway is to a national audience, does the sport more harm than good. At least get the product right befoe exposing it to the world. It amazes me there are still TV companies prepared to take it on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crazy robin said:

So if it wasn’t an advantage why do the higher team not choose to have the home leg first?.

Surely they all can’t be wrong?.

Why do think they do ...why is it advantage ?  simple question  .. the final is a simple one as you can pick up the cup in front of your home fans but from a tactical  view I can't any reason or any advantage .

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Crazy robin said:

So if it wasn’t an advantage why do the higher team not choose to have the home leg first?.

I doubt there is any difference between chosing first or second leg at home in terms of the chances of winning. Last season there were 38 two legged ties in the cup,shield and play-offs across all divisions. First leg home team won 20 of the 38.

What might be at issue is attendances. I suspect (but I am sure there are promoters who would know better) that experience shows that all other things being equal, having the second leg offers a better chance of a big crowd.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

I doubt there is any difference between chosing first or second leg at home in terms of the chances of winning. Last season there were 38 two legged ties in the cup,shield and play-offs across all divisions. First leg home team won 20 of the 38.

What might be at issue is attendances. I suspect (but I am sure there are promoters who would know better) that experience shows that all other things being equal, having the second leg offers a better chance of a big crowd.

Attendances might be the main reason but if you look at that its better to have the first leg first . If you get crushed in the first leg the crowd would be down for the  second leg

Edited by orion

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

But, don't you think that showcasing how bad speedway is to a national audience, does the sport more harm than good. At least get the product right befoe exposing it to the world. It amazes me there are still TV companies prepared to take it on.

You cant always tell if a match is going to be good or bad ..thou you can help yourself by putting the match on a better track Belle Vue etc .. You have to put the play offs on and you cant help if it's rains just before and during the meeting

5 hours ago, Crazy robin said:

The main advantage of finishing first in the league is to choose opponents, the reason most teams choose to have the home leg second is to celebrate with more of their fans if they win.

15 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

The main advantage of finishing first in the league is to choose opponents, the reason most teams choose to have the home leg second is to celebrate with more of their fans if they win.

And how did that go for you this season? :wink:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Wolves have never won the title in front of their own fans. This year would be a good time to start ! Swindon, obviously, will have others ideas though.

27 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

Wolves have never won the title in front of their own fans. This year would be a good time to start ! Swindon, obviously, will have others ideas though.

Neither have Swindon. All to play for.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Surely the logic is that no existing fans will be put off by going, so even  1 new fan is a bonus ? ( And yes I understand the logic of lost regular fans for TV matches)

Yep decent weather tomorrow but rain Thursday, tail end of Lorenzo!

2 hours ago, Beowulf said:

Dont think theyve finished top ?

Could a team that finishes fourth from bottom really win a League Title???  Name that Sport???