British Speedway Forum
Phil The Ace

Belle Vue Aces 2020

On 10/6/2019 at 2:34 PM, Bagpuss said:

I’d have thought it’s time to move on from Worrall. 

Find me a better rider on his average.

On 10/6/2019 at 6:55 PM, Baldyman said:

Bewley might be someone that benefits from riding a smaller track to improve his skills. 

You could well be correct, but I can't think of any of the current world's best riders improving their skills at smaller tracks, even Tai left to better his world title chances.

On 10/6/2019 at 6:55 PM, Baldyman said:

Bewley might be someone that benefits from riding a smaller track to improve his skills. 

Dan’s ability shone from the word go.... track size made no difference..

He oozes talent....

Dan has had to overcome a mammoth injury this year and no doubts he gave it everything he could.

He is the best rider I have seen since the emergence of Peter Collins

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gunner85 said:

Dan’s ability shone from the word go.... track size made no difference..

He oozes talent....

Dan has had to overcome a mammoth injury this year and no doubts he gave it everything he could.

He is the best rider I have seen since the emergence of Peter Collins

Did you not see Darcy Ward?

On 9/30/2019 at 5:39 PM, Phil The Ace said:

Early ending season for us this year so need to make sure that doesnt happen again. 

I think this will be the nucleus of the team. Then just fill in the blanks

Fricke 8.81

Kurtz 7.54

Bewley 6.31

Lidsey 5.16

Assuming limit will stick at 42.50 it leaves 14.68 for 3 riders

Do we go top heavy or get good reserves. 

I'd take hans on a 5.79 average and possibly keep Etheridge 4.35 leaving 4.54 for the final rider (jordan stewart maybe)

Fricke

Kurtz

Bewley

Hans

Lidsey

Etheridge

Stewart

Yep add Allen and Holder (jackass) and call it team aus,get rid of lemon  (withdrawal depression away from max)and start winning trophies

10 hours ago, Spiderman1 said:

Yep add Allen and Holder (jackass) and call it team aus,get rid of lemon  (withdrawal depression away from max)and start winning trophies

Not bothered what nationalities lemon picks. If it's more Aussies then fine by me. 

Fricke 

Lidsey 

C holder

Bewley

B kurtz

Bickermouse

Ayres

2 English riders for ya ;)

On 10/15/2019 at 10:48 AM, DC2 said:

Did you not see Darcy Ward?

I think the comparison is unfair. Dan Bewley has improved his skills riding on the speedway tracks around Europe , whilst Darcy Ward "honed his" by riding around Aussie streets dodging the local police.:D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Anyone else notice Dan appeared on Rip Off Britain this morning complaining about being ripped off for car insurance lol.Some of it is filmed in the Trafford Centre in Manchester and Dan was with Jack Smith.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, colin wood said:

Anyone else notice Dan appeared on Rip Off Britain this morning complaining about being ripped off for car insurance lol.Some of it is filmed in the Trafford Centre in Manchester and Dan was with Jack Smith.

2 years old that !!

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:26 AM, hyderd said:

You could well be correct, but I can't think of any of the current world's best riders improving their skills at smaller tracks, even Tai left to better his world title chances.

Tai became World Champion in 2013 when he was Wolves top man, so you are incorrect.  This kind of thinking does annoy me a little. Wolves world champions also include Ole Olsen and Sam Ermolenko, it didn't do them any harm (and Hans Nielsen spent his first 4 years there). What you learn on a small track is throttle control and how to turn a bike quickly and easily. Both of these skills are handy on big tracks.

Not having a go at you Hyderd, you are generally one of most reasonable posters.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

Tai became World Champion in 2013 when he was Wolves top man, so you are incorrect.  This kind of thinking does annoy me a little. Wolves world champions also include Ole Olsen and Sam Ermolenko, it didn't do them any harm (and Hans Nielsen spent his first 4 years there). What you learn on a small track is throttle control and how to turn a bike quickly and easily. Both of these skills are handy on big tracks.

Not having a go at you Hyderd, you are generally one of most reasonable posters.  

True, Nikki Pedersen won his 3 World Titles whilst riding at Eastbourne and always said riding there and places like Wolves improved his ability on larger tracks. 

23 minutes ago, gazzac said:

True, Nikki Pedersen won his 3 World Titles whilst riding at Eastbourne and always said riding there and places like Wolves improved his ability on larger tracks. 

Pedersen was at Arlington in 2003 & 2007 but not 2008.

Crump called Kirkmanshulme Lane is home track during all 3 of his World Championship winning years, that was certainly not a large track.

19 hours ago, gazzac said:

Whilst I don't doubt it improved technique riding on smaller tracks, I would suggest that the level of competition brought on the riders more..

Top riders of the past rode against the other top riders several times on a weekly basis in the UK, which meant they had to improve accordingly if they wanted to be No1..

Nowadays someone like Dan Bewley won't get the same impact to his career riding a smaller circuit as the opposition level won't give any kind of barometer of where he sits globally...

The likes of Bewley and Lambert need to be riding in Poland and Sweden's top leagues (on any shaped tracks) to improve their racing and position in the World rankings...

Too many times British riders have settled for a 'successful' domestic career which nowadays, in the grand scheme of World Speedway, means very little...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Whilst I don't doubt it improved technique riding on smaller tracks, I would suggest that the level of competition brought on the riders more..

Top riders of the past rode against the other top riders several times on a weekly basis in the UK, which meant they had to improve accordingly if they wanted to be No1..

Nowadays someone like Dan Bewley won't get the same impact to his career riding a smaller circuit as the opposition level won't give any kind of barometer of where he sits globally...

The likes of Bewley and Lambert need to be riding in Poland and Sweden's top leagues (on any shaped tracks) to improve their racing and position in the World rankings...

Too many times British riders have settled for a 'successful' domestic career which nowadays, in the grand scheme of World Speedway, means very little...

Very true, back in the day the Elite league truly was, just at little old Eastbourne, one week Pedersen riding against Crump, then Adams, then Rickardson, sometimes both and even the other heat leaders were generally top international riders. Just a shame we'll never see the like again.