British Speedway Forum
Phil The Ace

Belle Vue Aces 2020

53 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

Charles Wright I believe is 31, which is not the end of the world. But certainly you couldn't expect a huge improvement at this age, so would this be a case of the average fits ? To refer to the earlier question would you be signing him for home form alone ?

In his case I wouldn't rule out any improvement. Charles Wright was never going to amount to anything more than a PL reserve a few years ago, he's now British champion. If Cook can manage a GP season then I reckon Wright could too.

• Like 1

With the 2.5% deduction from wright it's actually 6.51. 

He achieved an average of 6.68 riding at no1 or 5. He will be swapping places between 3rd hl and end string with bewley. So should get a high 6 or low 7 point average for me

• Like 1

Charles has been gradually improving. He's a classic, run of the mill British rider. Will do well in this league and as 3rd HL he should get himself over a 7 point average.

So, it's looking like:

Kurtz

Worrall

Wright

Bewley

Kildemand

Lidsey 

Pickering/Etheridge

Given where I was a couple weeks back, I'm very happy with that team. A slight step back in the top 2 but I think we now have a stronger 3rd heatleader and better reserves. 

Bewley and Worrall for similar reasons, were poor last season. If they can get back to pre 2019 form then we will make the play offs I'm sure.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

I think he will improve again next year because a big part of speedway is confidence and his successes last year should mean he starts next season feeling very confident. 

However,  it's a matter of opinion. I think I saw enough in him last year to think that he has not yet reached his peak but I've seen too many riders have a good season and then stand still, or even go backwards, to know that you can never be sure. 

If you look at the detail, I don't think he's got worse as the seasons have passed. Last year was a breakthrough season for him and he was an and out heatleader in the top league.

He's the classic British rider, does well on his own shore. 

I've described him as bang average previously and by that I mean what I've typed above.

He's the kind of rider you'd prefer in your team than against it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, acef said:

If you look at the detail, I don't think he's got worse as the seasons have passed. Last year was a breakthrough season for him and he was an and out heatleader in the top league.

He's the classic British rider, does well on his own shore. 

I've described him as bang average previously and by that I mean what I've typed above.

He's the kind of rider you'd prefer in your team than against it.

Quite Interesting that you would be happy to have a 'bang average' rider in your team. Your description, not mine !

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

Quite Interesting that you would be happy to have a 'bang average' rider in your team. Your description, not mine !

He also said previously,last season he improved enough to be British champion.

1 hour ago, Beowulf said:

Another who takes things far too literal. I've explained what I mean when I use said terminology.

In this country he is absolutely fine and more than apt as a 3rd heatleader.

Craig Cook is also very average but the type of rider who will do you a job in a heatleader role in the UK.

It's pretty straightforward stuff and I have acknowledged the improvement that Charles has made.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

With the 2.5% deduction from wright it's actually 6.51. 

He achieved an average of 6.68 riding at no1 or 5. He will be swapping places between 3rd hl and end string with bewley. So should get a high 6 or low 7 point average for me

He actually spent all but the last month riding at 3 or 4 but did a lot of heat 15s which tends to lower your average a bit. He’s kicked on hugely in the last year or 2.  Not unlike Jason Doyle who till his late 20s was “ bang average” so who knows what the future holds but he’s on an improving curve right now. Wouldn’t surprise me if by mid season he’s riding at number 5 for you. 

19 hours ago, acef said:

Charles has been gradually improving. He's a classic, run of the mill British rider. Will do well in this league and as 3rd HL he should get himself over a 7 point average.

So, it's looking like:

Kurtz

Worrall

Wright

Bewley

Kildemand

Lidsey 

Pickering/Etheridge

Given where I was a couple weeks back, I'm very happy with that team. A slight step back in the top 2 but I think we now have a stronger 3rd heatleader and better reserves. 

Bewley and Worrall for similar reasons, were poor last season. If they can get back to pre 2019 form then we will make the play offs I'm sure.

What about Danny Ayres at 7?

3 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

Heat 15 doesnt affect your average so it didnt lower it all 

Sense when? Its always included??

Average is worked out by rides per meeting not just first 4.

eg a 4 ride 12 point maximum works out at 12.00 average

A 5 ride maximum is still 15 points divided by 5 rides  times 4 to give a 12.00 average. (15 /5 x 4)

Averages are easy to work out. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

Heat 15 doesnt affect your average so it didnt lower it all 

Of course Ht 15 affects the averages!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, stevebrum said:

A 5 ride maximum is still 15 points divided by 5 rides  times 4 to give a 12.00 average. (15 /5 x 4)

... unlike gradings.   :)

1 minute ago, stevebrum said:

There you go!! Honestly thought it wasn't and sure i read that it wasnt.. my apologies  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DC2 said:

... unlike gradings.   :)

But not as bad as rolling averages. :D

9 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Sense when? 

Not in your lifetime, Steve.  :)