British Speedway Forum
Phil The Ace

Belle Vue Aces 2020

3 hours ago, Col said:

Just seen that the Greyhound Stadium is to be demolished for housing.

Sad but inevitable unfortunately.

kirky lane was the first greyhound stadium in Britain

14 hours ago, Gunner85 said:

Sad but inevitable unfortunately.

kirky lane was the first greyhound stadium in Britain

Sad for the punters, great news for Greyhounds. As for the Stock cars, no chance at the NSS but Buxton could hold more Stock Car events surly.?????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hyderd said:

Sad for the punters, great news for Greyhounds. As for the Stock cars, no chance at the NSS but Buxton could hold more Stock Car events surly.?????

spot on !! no need to try and run it at NSS when a perfectly good local track not far away with the facilities they need !! i expect this is not over yet plenty objections to follow could well be a long drawn out affair ???

27 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

I hope there is never any stock cars at NSS.

new long term lease signed recently by owners so we own the rights to the track for a fair few years also infield problems half/million 4g pitch there not going to dig that up in a hurry :nono:

20 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

I hope there is never any stock cars at NSS.

Were there any stock car events at Hyde Road ?

7 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

Were there any stock car events at Hyde Road ?

Hundreds....

Probably the No1 Stock Car track in the UK..

It didn't have a 4G pitch worth a good few hundred grand in the middle of it though.. :o

50 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Hundreds....

Probably the No1 Stock Car track in the UK..

It didn't have a 4G pitch worth a good few hundred grand in the middle of it though.. :o

Ahh I see, the NSS would be plenty wide enough but protection of the pitch would be paramount.

28 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

Ahh I see, the NSS would be plenty wide enough but protection of the pitch would be paramount.

Plenty wide enough and probably a perfect shape..

Stocks can do all sort of damage to 'tight' circuits but the more circular ones tend to handle them well..

As you say the protection of the 4G would ensure no chance of Stocks I would think..

It would be a decent money earner for the Aces/Council though I would suggest if there was ever a chance..

Unfortunately there was stock cars at Belle Vue Hyde Road, always made a mess of the track, never made it better.  Cant imagine any speedway fan wishing any track to be shared with stock cars.   NSS is one of the worlds best tracks for speedway. I wonder if any of the other top five tracks in the world share speedway with a sport that wrecks the track.

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

Unfortunately there was stock cars at Belle Vue Hyde Road, always made a mess of the track, never made it better.  Cant imagine any speedway fan wishing any track to be shared with stock cars.   NSS is one of the worlds best tracks for speedway. I wonder if any of the other top five tracks in the world share speedway with a sport that wrecks the track.

I suppose it depends how solvent they are..?

A multi purpose stadium can benefit the "main occupants" tremendously financially...

And to be fair to Stocks there is a large following in the North West with probably as many watching a season of racing at Kirky Lane as watch the Aces at the NSS..

Ten or so meetings usually each deliver circa 3000 crowd levels, which, in total, won't be too far away from the Aces 20 or so meeting total I would think..

Anyway, it won't happen at the NSS given the 4G would be destroyed..

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

I suppose it depends how solvent they are..?

A multi purpose stadium can benefit the "main occupants" tremendously financially...

And to be fair to Stocks there is a large following in the North West with probably as many watching a season of racing at Kirky Lane as watch the Aces at the NSS..

Ten or so meetings usually each deliver circa 3000 crowd levels, which, in total, won't be too far away from the Aces 20 or so meeting total I would think..

Anyway, it won't happen at the NSS given the 4G would be destroyed..

Surely Stocks income would far out way that of the use of the 4G pitch. 

Is the 4G serving any purpose apart from looking nice currently?

It would be daft if the Belle Vue owners are excluding stock car on the basis of an extremely expensive, unused plastic pitch. That's madness. 

22 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Surely Stocks income would far out way that of the use of the 4G pitch. 

Is the 4G serving any purpose apart from looking nice currently?

It would be daft if the Belle Vue owners are excluding stock car on the basis of an extremely expensive, unused plastic pitch. That's madness. 

There was an American Football team using it...

Not sure if still the case..

Local amateur football leagues definitely use it..

However, as you say, probably not the return 3000 minimum punters would bring to the bar and food outlets, the car parks, and the rental to use the track, which must be around 10k a pop minimum I would think given the crowds delivered at £20 a throw..

Cowdenbeath Racewall is around a football pitch and they have solved the problem of cars on the grass by having a full safety fence on the inside of the track. The posts slot into suitable holes and are removed for the football. The resulting holes then have a short post under a flat plate which covers the hole. Seems to work well and keeps the cars off the grass very well. Maybe a similar solution could be found for NSS if stock cars were to race there but from comments on the Startrax website the stock car promoter has not even considered the idea at the present time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikebv said:

Plenty wide enough and probably a perfect shape..

Stocks can do all sort of damage to 'tight' circuits but the more circular ones tend to handle them well..

As you say the protection of the 4G would ensure no chance of Stocks I would think..

It would be a decent money earner for the Aces/Council though I would suggest if there was ever a chance..

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the old kirky lane track shared it with the stocks, it was also a tight track and seemed to handle the stocks well.

I would hate the Stocks to move into the NSS, but if it was that or no speedway, then I think most speedway fans would grit their teeth and accept it.

At the moment though it's thank god for the 4g pitch.