British Speedway Forum
Phil The Ace

Belle Vue Aces 2020

3 hours ago, KIRKYLANE said:

Good to see that Belle Vue wish to run some meetings even if the league does not start

I think that will be the case with a few tracks, not too many though!

Hearing that Dan Bewley has suffered a broken shoulder blade in a practice crash in Wroclaw.

34 minutes ago, screm said:

Hearing that Dan Bewley has suffered a broken shoulder blade in a practice crash in Wroclaw.

Turns out it wasnt a practice crash, it was a fall off his BMX bike that caused the injury. He only just got it back after he reported it as stolen a week or so a go.

17 minutes ago, screm said:

Turns out it wasnt a practice crash, it was a fall off his BMX bike that caused the injury. He only just got it back after he reported it as stolen a week or so a go.

Ban speedway riders from riding moto x bikes and normal bikes during the season, don't know what it is, but it never seems to end well! Must be safer ways to keep fit and sharp. 

Edited by gazzac

1 hour ago, gazzac said:

Ban speedway riders from riding moto x bikes and normal bikes during the season, don't know what it is, but it never seems to end well! Must be safer ways to keep fit and sharp. 

Especially when it affects their livelihoods.

Just watched an old meeting from the dog track - BV v oxford 1988.

Does anyone know when the stand on the back straight was demolished and why was it demolished?

Possibly an illusion but the clip appeared to make the place look like a top class venue.

The Chieftain Stand was I believe knocked down in 1991, as it had an asbestos roof and Health & Safety deemed it unsafe. The stadium then looked quite smart then, not like the tip it became. Stock cars wrecked the back straight, as they used it to park the cars.

When will speedway riders ever learn? 

55 minutes ago, woodenspoon said:

The Chieftain Stand was I believe knocked down in 1991, as it had an asbestos roof and Health & Safety deemed it unsafe. The stadium then looked quite smart then, not like the tip it became. Stock cars wrecked the back straight, as they used it to park the cars.

Stock cars at kirky lane put money in Perrins pocket but it was the start of the decline of the Speedway track and the stadium as a good venue.

Stock cars were supposed to put the track back to normal... but that never happened so the track went through slow deterioration.

Edited by Gunner85
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gunner85 said:

Stock cars at kirky lane put money in Perrins pocket but it was the start of the decline of the Speedway track and the stadium as a good venue.

Stock cars were supposed to put the track back to normal... but that never happened so the track went through slow deterioration.

Used to stand on the steps of that stand on the second bend..

Used to be lots of Wolves fans there too when we raced them..

Always good for some "good natured" banter..:D

I remember some Aces fans used to stand in front of us who made the trip up from Rugby every Friday..

Amazing to think that the crowds on the home straight in those days were considerably more than the home straight crowd it ended up with at the end of its use, and the back straight and bar were also very well attended...

From 91 to its closure I reckon there must have been around two thirds of the crowd who were lost to the sport..

Not an exclusive Aces thing either I would imagine..

3 hours ago, keepturningleft said:

Just watched an old meeting from the dog track - BV v oxford 1988.

Does anyone know when the stand on the back straight was demolished and why was it demolished?

Possibly an illusion but the clip appeared to make the place look like a top class venue.

I went to a couple of meetings there in 1988. It was a very smart stadium at the start.

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

When will speedway riders ever learn? 

18 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Especially when it affects their livelihoods.

YOUR point would be more valid if Bewley had a full racing calendar but recently he has no rides anyway including Poland so hardly surprising that a young kid who loves riding motorbikes and has plenty of free time he gets the BMX out.

4 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

YOUR point would be more valid if Bewley had a full racing calendar but recently he has no rides anyway including Poland so hardly surprising that a young kid who loves riding motorbikes and has plenty of free time he gets the BMX out.

Qiuite possibly, but there has been plenty of riders over the years that have got injured doing non speedway activities.

55 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Qiuite possibly, but there has been plenty of riders over the years that have got injured doing non speedway activities.

I AGREE - Adams and Gollob stand out. But if Bewley basically has nothing else to do you can surely understand why he resorts to something he loves and under normal circumstances would help him keep fit.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

I AGREE - Adams and Gollob stand out. But if Bewley basically has nothing else to do you can surely understand why he resorts to something he loves and under normal circumstances would help him keep fit.

Absolutely, were all bored stiff Phil.