British Speedway Forum
Phil The Ace

Belle Vue Aces 2020

On 8/2/2020 at 5:59 PM, keepturningleft said:

Despite the claim of BV to a world class venue - mainly true - the highly visible sight of cars parked around turns 3 and 4 does it give that 'track in a field' look which doesn't do much for the image and status of the place.

If not terracing, it desperately needs something to block out those cars.  Even advertising boardings would look better.

I agree, would save me cleaning my car every tuesday

• Haha 2

On 8/1/2020 at 8:04 PM, ch958 said:

well i know the sport has no money. What do you think it will add?

well how did it get installed ????  someone  give it away :nono:

1 hour ago, geoff58 said:

well how did it get installed ????  someone  give it away :nono:

well they've obviously afforded it. My point, which you seemed to have missed, is that this is another thing which is not needed such as 4 valves, laydowns, etc - it is not adding anything to what is a sport which should be looking for savings, not more expense. 

This is not a dig against BV, who I've always admired.

I reiterate my question: what will it add to the customer experience at the speedway? 

On 8/2/2020 at 5:52 PM, Daniel Smith said:

Not really as it depends on the system used. Most transponders works from when it passes a certain point, i.e. the start finish. Depending on how you've gated the rider finishing 4th could break the track record. 

But do those other riders not pass the same point? Genuinely don’t understand how it could be different. Would you be kind enough to explain it to me? No wind up, I’m genuinely puzzled.

5 minutes ago, ch958 said:

well they've obviously afforded it. My point, which you seemed to have missed, is that this is another thing which is not needed such as 4 valves, laydowns, etc - it is not adding anything to what is a sport which should be looking for savings, not more expense. 

I reiterate my question: what will it add to the customer experience at the speedway? 

The customer will for the first time be able to believe the times of races - no human reaction time - just accurate timing which has been around in other motor sports for years.  Additionally, you shouldn’t get the human error (the ref) when deciding the result of a close finish (or dead heat).

Well done to Belle Vue for trying to take a dying sport in the UK forward using technology!

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, ch958 said:

you can't stand still in life technology moves on and we need this because we want to host a GP anything that improves our chances all good !! no  one likes VAR in Soccer but it's here to stay !! hawk eye in tennis & cricket !! you have to move on in life !!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ch958 said:

Nothing! 

1 hour ago, Steve0 said:

The customer will for the first time be able to believe the times of races - no human reaction time - just accurate timing which has been around in other motor sports for years.  Additionally, you shouldn’t get the human error (the ref) when deciding the result of a close finish (or dead heat).

Well done to Belle Vue for trying to take a dying sport in the UK forward using technology!

And in the Speedway Star, Adrian Smith once again mentions how an independent body running the sport would be a major move forward for it.. 

Tsk. These people coming into Speedway wanting to drag it out of its self inflicted malaise and modernise it..

I don't know.....

Who do they think they are?...:D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Diamondboy said:

But do those other riders not pass the same point? Genuinely don’t understand how it could be different. Would you be kind enough to explain it to me? No wind up, I’m genuinely puzzled.

Are you asking how 4th could possibly record a faster time than 1st?

Simply put, if you gate a second behind the others & finish half a second behind 1st but finish 4th your transponder will record a faster 4 laps than the rider who finishes 1st.

It also depends on where on the bike the responder is. 

Transponders activate buy passing a beam or cable that runs the width of the track so the start timing of the tapes going up is irrelevant. 

Hence, in speedway transponders can be more inaccurate than a guy with a stop watch. 

As another example, in formula one, they don't officially record the 1st lap time as it always records the guys at the back as being fastest as they get a better run up to the start finish line. 

7 hours ago, mikebv said:

And in the Speedway Star, Adrian Smith once again mentions how an independent body running the sport would be a major move forward for it.. 

Tsk. These people coming into Speedway wanting to drag it out of its self inflicted malaise and modernise it..

I don't know.....

Who do they think they are?...:D

He’ll soon have that enthusiasm squeezed out of him no doubt... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, geoff58 said:

you can't stand still in life technology moves on and we need this because we want to host a GP anything that improves our chances all good !! no  one likes VAR in Soccer but it's here to stay !! hawk eye in tennis & cricket !! you have to move on in life !!

FOOTBALL its FOOTBALL

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ben91 said:

He’ll soon have that enthusiasm squeezed out of him no doubt... 

I am sure it will soon feel like pushing water up a hill..

11 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I am sure it will soon feel like pushing water up a hill..

Indeed , & if he starts making too much noise on the issue he won't be long for this sport I fear.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Indeed , & if he starts making too much noise on the issue he won't be long for this sport I fear.

Many have been and many have gone....!!!

Even a genius innovation like the transponder won’t save him. The green eyed monsters in Rugby will be seething with jealousy at this fantastic BV achievement!

7 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

Bearing in mind the potential League Sponsorship deal is being negotiated by a business contact of Adrian Smith so I think his immediate future within the BSPL is assured.

• Like 2