British Speedway Forum
Phil The Ace

Belle Vue Aces 2020

2 minutes ago, TheWatcher said:

What is the point of the Colts if both Bickley and Palin, both crowd favourites at the NSS I believe, get overlooked for an outsider at the first opportunity to promote one of them into the first team?

Personally i think its  good move for Jordan in the long term. Still a big fast track at Peterborough and gaining vital experience. Riding all his home meetings at the NSS isn't going to boost his interest or help him prepare in the right way for either level (providing he satays in the Colts team). Bickley has some work to do to prove he ready for the step up and its not essential that these riders get dunked into the top flight at the first opportunity as it will break just as many and it helps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Personally i think its  good move for Jordan in the long term. Still a big fast track at Peterborough and gaining vital experience. Riding all his home meetings at the NSS isn't going to boost his interest or help him prepare in the right way for either level (providing he satays in the Colts team). Bickley has some work to do to prove he ready for the step up and its not essential that these riders get dunked into the top flight at the first opportunity as it will break just as many and it helps.

From what I've seen at Perry Barr and some away matches, Brennan is currently better than Palin and Palin is better than Bickley. 

Brennan could make decent European level, as could Palin, Brennan has more experience. 

Bickley I think has plateaued and never be more than a second string CL rider. 

1 hour ago, TheWatcher said:

What is the point of the Colts if both Bickley and Palin, both crowd favourites at the NSS I believe, get overlooked for an outsider at the first opportunity to promote one of them into the first team?

In all sports the "youth team" rarely become "first team" regulars at the place they learned their craft, with the vast majority never actually "making it" at all in their sport..

And often, the best of them will be sent out on loan to other teams to enhance their experience of the wider world.. 

A good move for both Tom and Jordan I would say...

IF brennan hadnt kopped for that diabolical injury hes a mile better than the likes of palin, he was better than kemp too but he really had a dreadful crash, i think its a gd move for tom and the aces

4 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Maybe wrong but I Don’t think. You can ride in 3 leagues so that would rule out Bickely and if the NL team ave is said to be now 35 one of the big hitters will need to go so he might be the one to be dropped 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheWatcher said:

Was Palin overlooked or did Peterborough get to pick their choice of rider before Belle Vue? 

Bickley hasn’t move forward as expected. 

17 hours ago, baxiboy said:

Was Palin overlooked or did Peterborough get to pick their choice of rider before Belle Vue? 

Bickley hasn’t move forward as expected. 

You raise an interesting point. But why would Peterborough get to pick their rider ahead of Belle Vue? Or is there something about the selection process we have not been told?

39 minutes ago, TheWatcher said:

You raise an interesting point. But why would Peterborough get to pick their rider ahead of Belle Vue? Or is there something about the selection process we have not been told?

Balls in a sack..?

Edited by gazzac

37 minutes ago, TheWatcher said:

Yes.

After new boys Sheffield, the rest allegedly got to pick in order of the 2019 finl league table, worst to best, so the order of picking was Peterborough, King's Lynn,, Belle Vue, Ipswich, Wolves.    (Though that does make you wonder why Drew Kemp wasn't picked earlier)

In the Daily Star today, there is a little snippet of speedway news(almost always now), about Palin & Peterboro having first choice, although I would think via the zoom meetings, clubs will have said "we are interested in this rider as being ours" so can you pick another. Surprised Dan Thompson was not chosen but most clubs have chosen a higher starred rider so Palin must be very highly regarded although, I think, another year at NDL level might have been required, but now we know more these last few weeks, what standard would the NDL be, if raced, in 2021. Probably lower than in 2019 so, he might learn more. Hope these "Rising Stars" are not out of their depth and suffer like some in the past. I have always said that a Premiership/Elite reserve should have, at least, a 4 - 4.5 Championship/Premier CMA. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

Yes.

After new boys Sheffield, the rest allegedly got to pick in order of the 2019 finl league table, worst to best, so the order of picking was Peterborough, King's Lynn,, Belle Vue, Ipswich, Wolves.    (Though that does make you wonder why Drew Kemp wasn't picked earlier)

Wolves wouldn’t be last pick, it would be Ipswich who made the PO final surely? 

4 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Final league positions brum...

8 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Wolves were 3rd in the league standings, Ipswich 4th.   (The top 2 - Poole and Swindon - are no longer competing).

Edited by PotteringAround

1 hour ago, PotteringAround said:

Yes.

But wouldn't it have been nice, and the correct way to do it, for the BSPL to have explained the process to us, the fans, instead of it coming out via a question on this forum?

• Like 1