British Speedway Forum
Phil The Ace

Belle Vue Aces 2020

On 2/21/2021 at 2:04 PM, Gunner85 said:

Barry  Briggs was quoted once as saying the following about Hyde Road..... if you cannot RACE at Hyde road you are no Speedway rider

A quote to qualify what a super track we had at Hyde Road.

Now we have ridden at the NSS for a while I believe that the NSS Is better than Hyde Road.

One more quote about Hyde road from Hans Nielsen this time..... it is the only track where I can be leading going into one of the bends and one rider goes under me with another taking me on the outside  coming out of the bend in3rd place

Briggo's favourite track was West Ham, which was in my eyes the Hyde Road of the south.

On 2/17/2021 at 5:16 PM, TheWatcher said:

But wouldn't it have been nice, and the correct way to do it, for the BSPL to have explained the process to us, the fans, instead of it coming out via a question on this forum?

And there you you have the biggest frustration for all fans trying to make sense of rules. It's simple psychology. The BSPL / promoters keep the rules to themselves and then they wonder why social media makes up 10 reasons why they are the way they are. And those reasons are nearly always perceived to be unfair or self serving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, False dawn said:

And there you you have the biggest frustration for all fans trying to make sense of rules. It's simple psychology. The BSPL / promoters keep the rules to themselves and then they wonder why social media makes up 10 reasons why they are the way they are. And those reasons are nearly always perceived to be unfair or self serving.

Aren't the rules and regs mainly for the promoters, officials and then the riders in any case?

Yes its fun - and sometimes very frustrating - for fans but the season doesn't start for another 3 months or so!!

Any rule change always prompts more negativity so maybe they simply keep things close to their chest until the SCB formally approves and makes them public - usually about 1 month prior to season start.

Edited by Skidder1

On 2/21/2021 at 2:04 PM, Gunner85 said:

Barry  Briggs was quoted once as saying the following about Hyde Road..... if you cannot RACE at Hyde road you are no Speedway rider

A quote to qualify what a super track we had at Hyde Road.

Now we have ridden at the NSS for a while I believe that the NSS Is better than Hyde Road.

One more quote about Hyde road from Hans Nielsen this time..... it is the only track where I can be leading going into one of the bends and one rider goes under me with another taking me on the outside  coming out of the bend in3rd place

Made me go back in time to the fridays when I used to pop across London to Hackney speedway (In those days I was a Wimbledon fan and Thursday night was Plough Lane night)  - I can remember when Belle Vue ( with Ivan at 1) were the visitors and Bengt Jansson, Hackney’s number one, got passed on either side at one of the bends by Peter Collins on one side and Chris Pusey on the other at the same time - It was one of those ‘WOW’ moments. I think Peter was one of the reserves at the time. I regret never having seen the racing at Hyde Road but although I still live in South London I do get up to the NSS when I can. Just a fantastic track. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BEATTHEBOOKIEBOB said:

Made me go back in time to the fridays when I used to pop across London to Hackney speedway (In those days I was a Wimbledon fan and Thursday night was Plough Lane night)  - I can remember when Belle Vue ( with Ivan at 1) were the visitors and Bengt Jansson, Hackney’s number one, got passed on either side at one of the bends by Peter Collins on one side and Chris Pusey on the other at the same time - It was one of those ‘WOW’ moments. I think Peter was one of the reserves at the time. I regret never having seen the racing at Hyde Road but although I still live in South London I do get up to the NSS when I can. Just a fantastic track. 

I went to Hackney v Belle Vue  , the night before a Wembley world final.

Typical Len Silver, he made the introductions of both teams and then made  the following announcement..... if Belle Vue have 26 engine failures we will win !!!!!!!

Edited by Gunner85

So Belle Vue now have one of three opening fixtures on 17th May

8 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Brady Kurtz & Richie Worrall announced.

Brady giving up Poland  or Sweden then ????

1 minute ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Brady giving up Poland  or Sweden then ????

Doesn't need to as doesn't ride in top league in Poland.

• Like 1

So that's 

1 Kurtz 2.richie 3.steve 4.wright 5.???

6.???? 7.Brennan

Who for the next 2 and how much left..?

7 minutes ago, Paddy The Rebel said:

So that's 

1 Kurtz 2.richie 3.steve 4.wright 5.???

6.???? 7.Brennan

Who for the next 2 and how much left..?

bewley / jye etheridge !!

Seen a bit from Kurtz that he leaves for Poland soon and HOPES to be able to travel between countries to compete in Britain

He is not the only one in this position and I cant see it being the UK coming off best

I can see a shambles approaching.......

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Seen a bit from Kurtz that he leaves for Poland soon and HOPES to be able to travel between countries to compete in Britain

He is not the only one in this position and I cant see it being the UK coming off best

I can see a shambles approaching.......

only saving grace on the travelling for riders is that sportsmen are allowed to travel and they will have been tested for covid in poland or where ever they ride before travelling to england or elsewhere :t:

2 hours ago, GAH said:

only saving grace on the travelling for riders is that sportsmen are allowed to travel and they will have been tested for covid in poland or where ever they ride before travelling to england or elsewhere :t:

But isn't there a presumption that sportsmen stay in bubbles with their team mates/ fellow competitors - a model that doesn't work when riders ride for different teams in different countries.

• Like 5

It also applies to International Events of all sports. Football, Rugby, Athletics to name a few that have training groups then mixing with others, even though they are tested regularly.