British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
krompa

League Finals - new dates

7 hours ago, Mike.Butler said:

i''m afraid that the british weather is so unpredictable...your suggestion means that for teams not in the play-offs then their season ends in august.. I've seen enough people complain on here when that happens to their side.... as long as all done by end of oct...next year the early October weather will be dry I expect... 

It's not simply about the wet weather though is it? It's also much colder in the evenings in October which affects crowd levels and track preparation, clubs are always moaning about the precarious state of their finances so surely it makes sense to run the meetings during the optimum months for the sport?

As for those that don't like their season finishing in August.....is the sport as a whole supposed to suffer to accommodate their wants? given the average attendance at most clubs, how many people genuinely feel like that? a dozen at each club? I attend every match at Swindon and whilst i'd be disappointed if our season finished at the end of August, I'd gladly take that to see the sport run in a more professional manner where the greater good of the sport is the main concern and not the wants of a few hundred people up and down the country, too often this sport has pandered to the few over the years and look at the state it is in.

There were 12 home league matches in the PL and even less in the CL, do people really want that strung out over 7 months? are people really going to complain about the season being 5 months instead? surely people can find other entertainment in the off season? for those that want to watch more speedway how about attending fixtures at other clubs or attending the away matches featuring your own club? There's bound to be a few that do that already and attend 60+ matches a season but I can't believe a majority favour Speedway in October.

Edited by The Weasel
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, The Weasel said:

It's not simply about the wet weather though is it? It's also much colder in the evenings in October which affects crowd levels and track preparation, clubs are always moaning about the precarious state of their finances so surely it makes sense to run the meetings during the optimum months for the sport?

As for those that don't like their season finishing in August.....is the sport as a whole supposed to suffer to accommodate their wants? given the average attendance at most clubs, how many people genuinely feel like that? a dozen at each club? I attend every match at Swindon and whilst i'd be disappointed if our season finished at the end of August, I'd gladly take that to see the sport run in a more professional manner where the greater good of the sport as a whole is the main concern and not the wants of a few hundred people up and down the country, too often this sport has pandered to the few over the years and look at the state it is in.

There were 12 home league matches in the PL and not many more in the CL, do people really want that strung out over 7 months? are people really going to complain about the season being 5 months instead? surely people can find other entertainment in the off season? for those that want to watch more speedway how about attending fixtures at other clubs or attending the away matches featuring your own club? There's bound to be a few that do that already and attend 60+ matches a season but I can't believe a majority favour Speedway in October.

A sport that only looks after the successful soon ends up with the successful only having themselves to play with, as nearly happened with the Premiership this year. 

What about supporters losing weeks of their season just because their team didn't win enough? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

A sport that only looks after the successful soon ends up with the successful only having themselves to play with, as nearly happened with the Premiership this year. 

What about supporters losing weeks of their season just because their team didn't win enough? 

I don't see your point, all you're doing is dragging the season out, what extra fixtures do such teams pick up in September and October at the moment? an 8 team league means 7 (once) or 14 (twice) home fixtures whether the season finishes in August or October, people don't want meaningless fixtures after the cut off date as attendances prove but if Promoters want to continue through these months there's nothing to stop them arranging some extra meetings for themselves.

Edited by The Weasel

Now Poland and the GP's are done and dusted why not run the Playoffs on Sunday's? 

5pm ish start would deliver a meeting under lights and bigger crowds I would think..

Oe even, if you can, run your home leg on a Saturday evening..

• Like 1

On 4 October 2019 at 4:37 PM, The Weasel said:

As for those that don't like their season finishing in August.....is the sport as a whole supposed to suffer to accommodate their wants? given the average attendance at most clubs, how many people genuinely feel like that? a dozen at each club? I attend every match at Swindon and whilst i'd be disappointed if our season finished at the end of August, I'd gladly take that to see the sport run in a more professional manner where the greater good of the sport is the main concern and not the wants of a few hundred people up and down the country, too often this sport has pandered to the few over the years and look at the state it is in.

There were 12 home league matches in the PL and even less in the CL, do people really want that strung out over 7 months? are people really going to complain about the season being 5 months instead? surely people can find other entertainment in the off season? for those that want to watch more speedway how about attending fixtures at other clubs or attending the away matches featuring your own club? There's bound to be a few that do that already and attend 60+ matches a season but I can't believe a majority favour Speedway in October.

A 'summer sport' that depends on the weather so much to deliver a crowd, runs well into Autumn..!:rolleyes:

The League and play offs could easily be done by September 1st..

Maybe then the KO Cup could take place, as well as maybe a one day four team tournament, and a best pairs to bring an end of season finale?. All ran in the months of September and October if there is a fanbase for it?

It's crackers to have so many gaps between meetings when the weather is at its best, so if you insist on running it like this then have the gaps on the colder evenings...

Edited by mikebv

Sorry can't post link, but witches announced final dates as next Monday 14th home/wolves and Thursday 17th home/Swindon 

15 minutes ago, Badge said:

Sorry can't post link, but witches announced final dates as next Monday 14th home/wolves and Thursday 17th home/Swindon 

You have just got to hope that the semi has been run by then, this Wed and Thurs look ok but with the weather being changeable who can tell.  Hope they are able to take place. 

1 hour ago, Badge said:

Other way round I think you'll find as wolves cannot ride on a Thursday at home.you will have 2nd leg.

41 minutes ago, Wolfie456 said:

Other way round I think you'll find as wolves cannot ride on a Thursday at home.you will have 2nd leg.

the slash was for or!!

As our opponents are at this time unknown it will either be home or Wolves Monday (should they win) or home or Swindon(should they win) on Thursday

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/home-play-off-date-for-witches-1-6309476

Edited by Badge
added link

Could Ipswich stage a home leg of the final this Saturday 12 Oct? This would allow Wolves to have 2nd leg on Mon 14th or Swindon to use Thur 17 Oct??

7 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Could Ipswich stage a home leg of the final this Saturday 12 Oct? This would allow Wolves to have 2nd leg on Mon 14th or Swindon to use Thur 17 Oct??

Swindon will use 17th if they win!!!

Obviously either Ipswich can't use 12th or BT can't cover the 12th not sure. I would prefer 12th and 14th personally as unavailable 17th for either at home or at Swindon

32 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Championship play-off S/F, Leicester v Redcar on the 12th, so if Wolves won, no  Douglas , if Swindon win Perks would be unavailable.