British Speedway Forum
Hackett

Eastbourne 2020

17 hours ago, SuperSpeed said:

Renovation and upgrade work, possibly (but do not hold your breath) including the long awaiting improvements of the toilets. 

I stopped by there at the start of the summer and it looked like there was some sort of work taking place as the main gates were unlocked and there were a lot of vehicles there.  In terms of speedway the club have said that they wouldn't be able to run meetings at any level until September at least due to the works on the stadium, without elaborating further.

It seems like Dugard and Co may be taking the enforced break as an opportunity to carry out some much needed work, but of course the speedway and the stadium are separate concerns these days so there is not a whole lot of information forthcoming.

If renovation hasn't been done on the toilets you will have to hold your breath as usual :)

Edited by gazzac
  • Haha 1

BRUMMIES IN YOUR LIVING ROOM - PART 20
THE next instalment of 'Brummies in Your Living Room' will go live on Wednesday night (September 2, 7.30).
In association with Clean Cut Sports, and kindly sponsored by Image Cleaning Consultants Ltd, the latest fixture coming your way sees a pivotal clash five years to the day since Birmingham and Eastbourne battled it out to put themselves in the driving seat for the 2015 National League title.
It stars the likes of Zach Wajtknecht, Adam Ellis, Tom Perry, Bradley Wilson-Dean and Daniel Spiller.
 The live broadcast will begin at 7.30 on Wednesday night on the following link:
Birmingham are still inviting individuals or businesses to sponsor their forthcoming Wednesday Night meeting rewinds online in order to help them continue through until the end of October.
 Anybody interested should e-mail laurencerogers@blueyonder.co.uk for more details.
Image may contain: 8 people

On 8/25/2020 at 1:32 PM, gazzac said:

If renovation hasn't been done on the toilets you will have to hold your breath as usual :)

when i read this i got to the ' you will have to hold ' and i was holding my breath . :blush:

Edited by gee jay

i see Eastbourne are now looking forward to the 2021 season, they are now renting the stadium facilitys directly off Eric and Margret Dugard and no longler through the company owned by Martin Dugard and Jon Cook..

Off speedway topic but Spedeworth Motorsport and the oval circuit car racing appear very active with their Arlington ventures at the moment.

11 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

Off speedway topic but Spedeworth Motorsport and the oval circuit car racing appear very active with their Arlington ventures at the moment.

Yes Spedeworth had a meeting last week (I think) and have one scheduled for tonight and the big finale on 31st. They have been leading the way in getting stadium set up for dealing with fans in Covid era. I'm told Spedeworth have done a great job. Lots learned by stock cars which will help speedway next year, I would imagine.

Speedway couldn't really find dates, especially as it has to be 'amateur' = NDL. Eagles youngsters had fixtures on or around potential dates when speedway might have run and then here are always concerns about the October weather.

Real quality again from Eastbourne Speedway this morning. They have just published an online magazine for supporters which is free to download. Lots to read, some great photographs and a really, really, really good comment column from . . .  me!!!!

Hugely surprised to be asked to contribute but a real pleasure to have a small part to play in something like this.

A free magazine for supporters is a great idea. It just shows what can be done for fans and Eastbourne have done it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Real quality again from Eastbourne Speedway this morning. They have just published an online magazine for supporters which is free to download. Lots to read, some great photographs and a really, really, really good comment column from . . .  me!!!!

Hugely surprised to be asked to contribute but a real pleasure to have a small part to play in something like this.

A free magazine for supporters is a great idea. It just shows what can be done for fans and Eastbourne have done it.

Had a quick look, not a full read yet, but looks really well put together as you say, well done to everyone involved. 

the second issue of 'flying high' is available to view on the eagles website. the proposed new air fence for the 2022 season , though seemingly a long way off after this last year is interesting . £20.000-£25.000 for the updated version of the regular air fence as opposed to £40.000- £45.000 for the foam version . to anybody with knowledge of , or especially hands on experience with the fences at glasgow or berwick ? if the money can be found is the foam fence a good option at double the expence ? 

21 hours ago, gee jay said:

the second issue of 'flying high' is available to view on the eagles website. the proposed new air fence for the 2022 season , though seemingly a long way off after this last year is interesting . £20.000-£25.000 for the updated version of the regular air fence as opposed to £40.000- £45.000 for the foam version . to anybody with knowledge of , or especially hands on experience with the fences at glasgow or berwick ? if the money can be found is the foam fence a good option at double the expence ? 

I would say yes, the Berwick foam-fence has needed virtually no maintainance since installation some years ago.    I believe the same is true at Glasgow (and King's Lynn, where the first such fence was installed, and like Arlington, is also a stock-car venue). 

There is no tedious inflation/deflation time required before or after matches and no delays where a punctured air-fence segment is removed and replaced.    At Berwick, the fence just sits there all week, gets a quick power-wash after a meeting, and is ready to go next race, next meeting, next season even, without any setting-up work.  

Much-more importantly, I have seen several huge impacts into the foam-fence over recent seasons -- Shielfield is a high-speed circuit -- yet I can recall no serious injuries which came from a rider hitting the fence.    

Equally, when there have been such impacts, there has been no damage to the fence, either!   No hold-ups to racing.

In short, a foam-fence -- in my estimation and opinion -- is a worthwhile investment.

• Like 1

if the fence can stay in place all season as it is solid once filled up the foam fence is better also no  maintenance really if it needs to be taken down every now and then needs to be a air one also the foam will not lift up at the bottom like the air fence and never get a puncture so no time waiting to be repaired 

Good article about the fence options in a very good and free publication.

Dean Barker Feature and the look at 2021 from Andrew Skeels and 2 others was very interesting.

isn't the problem they have there with having a foam fence is that they have weekly Stock meetings and not like Kings Lynn where stocks / speedway same track. 

I assume stock track is the concrete one outside the speedway track.

On 12/21/2020 at 10:49 AM, mac101 said:

if the fence can stay in place all season as it is solid once filled up the foam fence is better also no  maintenance really if it needs to be taken down every now and then needs to be a air one also the foam will not lift up at the bottom like the air fence and never get a puncture so no time waiting to be repaired 

I’ve had this argument about air fences many times in the past. Whilst you don’t see the ‘fences lifting’ or riders sliding under them anywhere near as much as you used to around 20 years ago, I’ve never understood why the fences aren’t sunk into the ground 12” or even more and then anchored down to prevent that being an issue?

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Najjer said:

I’ve had this argument about air fences many times in the past. Whilst you don’t see the ‘fences lifting’ or riders sliding under them anywhere near as much as you used to around 20 years ago, I’ve never understood why the fences aren’t sunk into the ground 12” or even more and then anchored down to prevent that being an issue?

some of the new ones are the Briggo a+   are  ...Plymouth have one