British Speedway Forum
Hackett

Eastbourne 2020

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

Torrential rain in Arlington area this morning. Eastbourne’s Forecaster spot on - again 

Can they do the BBC?

Which Part of the Arlington village do you live in Richard?

14 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I think the last 18 months have changed peoples lives forever. Many have lost family and friends, their jobs and in some cases their homes. It's impossible to carry on as normal. I know my relationship with my premier league football team will never be the same. I'm a lot more reluctant to hand over vast sums of money anymore. I'm sure a lot of speedway fans feel the same. For the sport to have any chance of survival, first it must learn to live within its means.

I think we had the product a few seasons ago at Eastbourne and clubs like Birmingham  and Kent, with the right balance of good racing and cost, the NL as it was at that time, too successful though for the upper echelon of the BSPA , so they had to put a stop to that. I know this will open up the 'but it's a development league', but it didn't do much harm to for the likes of Brennen, Kemp plus too many to mention.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gazzac said:

I think we had the product a few seasons ago at Eastbourne and clubs like Birmingham  and Kent, with the right balance of good racing and cost, the NL as it was at that time, too successful though for the upper echelon of the BSPA , so they had to put a stop to that. I know this will open up the 'but it's a development league', but it didn't do much harm to for the likes of Brennen, Kemp plus too many to mention.

The affordable 'de facto' standard that it would appear all clubs could race at in the UK without the threat of closure...

Or maybe one level up could be affordable? Championship Lite/NL plus?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mikebv said:

The affordable 'de facto' standard that it would appear all clubs could race at in the UK without the threat of closure...

Or maybe one level up could be affordable? Championship Lite/NL plus?

I think when the NL 'peaked' about 5 seasons ago it was probably around the standard of a Championship Lite today, so would be ideal. At one point we had Adam Ellis( on the way up) and Ellis Perks in the team ( and still didn't win the playoff that year). Similar standard today as of then, would still lead to the likes of Brennen, the Thompson's etc improving to heat leader status, and the likes of Abblit progressing maybe more quickly than now, and still leave room for the emerging talent to come in at reserve. Maybe be able to expand the second halves at these meetings and always have SDL and MDL meetings etc after to bring that talent. 

Won't happen though :unsure:.

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 2

All this back slapping and self congratulation   .... " correct call" , ......" Eastbourne's weather forecaster spot on again " :nono:

4 days ago the meeting was called off (Tuesday evening at Kent ) . The reasons later revealed were not just the poor weather forecast ... but other non weather related issues that heve been well aired by the promotion. Far more worrying IMHO than the weather.

So, I put it to you  ...... would the meeting have still been called off if the weather forecast was better ???

• Like 1

One thing you can be sure of, and don’t need Mystic Meg for, is a negative post from the serial hater of all things Eastbourne.

2 minutes ago, woofers said:

One thing you can be sure of, and don’t need Mystic Meg for, is a negative post from the serial hater of all things Eastbourne.

What master baiting!

4 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

All this back slapping and self congratulation   .... " correct call" , ......" Eastbourne's weather forecaster spot on again " :nono:

4 days ago the meeting was called off (Tuesday evening at Kent)

Unless you're party to information that wasn't made public from any source, (doubtful as, by your own admission, you've only been to two speedway meetings in living memory), the scheduled meeting at Arlington tonight wasn't cancelled until Thursday.

58 minutes ago, SuperSpeed said:

Unless you're party to information that wasn't made public from any source, (doubtful as, by your own admission, you've only been to two speedway meetings in living memory), the scheduled meeting at Arlington tonight wasn't cancelled until Thursday.

Overheard at Kent  on Tuesday evening.  Your new member of the management team at Eastbourne (Lee Kilby  ? ) was chatting to someone I didn't recognise.  Didn't really take a lot of notice until I read the official statement later in the week.

Just for your info, I have only been to 2 meetings  at Kent THIS SEASON . In my "living memory" would take me a lot longer to work out as I first went to a speedway meeting 62 years ago.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, gazzac said:

I've really enjoyed the NDL meetings l've seen this year (live and streamed) and think the relaxation of points which allowed Berwick and Armadale to host NDL teams has proved a huge benefit to the future at these clubs.

13 hours ago, gazzac said:

I don't know why a development league has to be a weak league? As you say lots of riders "developed" into Champ riders when the NL was stronger: Kyle Bickley, Leon Flint, Jack Thomas, Tom Brennan, Drew Kemp, Jason Edwards, Dan Gilkes, Dan Thompson, Joe Thompson, Max Clegg, Connor Mountain, Jack Smith, Alfie Bowtell, Danyon Hume, Anders Rowe, Jordan Jenkins, Jordan Palin, Ryan Kinsley & Luke Ruddick

• Like 2

12 hours ago, woofers said:

I don't think its personal, he was the same negative hater of all things Lakeside a few years back and that was his team then!

On 8/7/2021 at 11:12 AM, Jimsboy said:

Which Part of the Arlington village do you live in Richard?

I was walking in Abbots Wood.

No one knew whether the Fixture on Saturday would take place any way because Brummies made no announcement until yesterday about riding one match at a time. 

Who knows what discussion went on between the clubs? 

Hope Brummies get a good turn out on Wednesday again. 

• Like 1

It will be a three week gap before Redcar arrive at Arlington on the 21st. This meeting clashes with a 5.30pm kick off for Brighton in the Pemier league. Hopefully it won't have an impact on the attendance.