British Speedway Forum
Hackett

Eastbourne 2020

20 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

My big hope is that the 3rd tier is allowed to govern itself once more. All promotions who have a team in the league get a say and all those that don't can bugger off. Let those who are affected by the decisions make the decisions and hopefully allow a fuller and more prosperous league to flourish. 

Yes fans clamour for higher league racing but they clamour for a team to support more and id happily wager that Eastbourne, Kent, Brum, Newcastle supporters would much rather turn out and support their NDL team (with all the balanced and exciting racing that goes with it) than no speedway at all. 

Dare i say it but could a breakaway league even occur? If the powers that be aren't going to get behind clubs and address the problems then perhaps the calls for more radical action are growing.

It's a tough one, there will be some supporters like me who just won't be attracted by NDL level Speedway. I'm fortunate in that I live centrally so have the pick of quite a few tracks to attend, but I've never been to a Leicester Cubs match, it has absolutely no appeal to me what so ever, much like when I used to follow the Bees, the Storm had no appeal. If Leicester were to run just NDL only I would not attend. If I lived in a different part of the country I would be looking to attend my nearest "professional" club but probably on a less frequent basis. When the Storm tried to continue at Leicester it was pretty much a  disaster

Edited by iainb
  • Like 6

I have just been on the Eagles Website. Clicked on the link to purchase tickets for Saturday's match v Redcar. It is not opening the link to purchase tickets.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Reliant Robin said:

I'd say that Eastbourne & Kent should be comfortable in a sustainable 2nd tier with the crowds that they get. It is made unsustainable by the more affluent or bigger backed 2nd tier Clubs signing higher end riders that really shouldn't be at that level.

So the solution becomes for Eastbourne and Kent to drop back down and become the more affluent at a lower level, with the knock on effect being felt by those lower down as the 3rd tier gets stronger and more competetive.

Speedway is a sport, and so should be competetive, but the problem is not just one of the NL being made too weak, there is a fundamental issue with the structure right the way through the leagues, and how that structure is voted/brought in

You are correct that it should be sustainable for teams like Kent and Eastbourne to prosper in a 2nd tier but the realities are far from that. You can also blame other clubs for signing riders that shouldn't be in the league but both have some pretty big hitters on their payroll and a payroll that appears to have issues with payments.

Dropping down would have a knock on effect to other lower tier clubs but that is why the rules need to be drawn up by all clubs involved. Its no greater benefit for Eastbourne to be in the CL or NDL if they are overpaying and not making things sustainable. A league can flourish when all the teams within it are able to compete and survive. A NDL with a payment cap, sensible points limit (possibly varied team build limits dependent on the success of the previous year) and a few minor tweaks could ensure the future of not just the individual clubs but the sport itself.

11 minutes ago, iainb said:

It's a tough one, there will be some supporters like me who just won't be attracted by NDL level Speedway. I'm fortunate in that I live centrally so have the pick of quite a few tracks to attend, but I've never been to a Leicester Cubs match, it has absolutely no appeal to me what so ever, much like when I used to follow the Bees, the Storm had no appeal. If Leicester were to run just NDL only I would not attend. If I lived in a different part of the country I would be looking to attend my nearest "professional" club but probably on a less frequent basis. When the Storm tried to continue at Leicester it was pretty much a  disaster

Fully respect that as each level has its attractions in much the same way as i very much pick and choose higher tier meetings i attend as i see that value for money dwindling but thats personal preference. Should there be no NDL i would likely not bother attending at all but i do respect that its horses for courses.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sings4Speedway said:

You are correct that it should be sustainable for teams like Kent and Eastbourne to prosper in a 2nd tier but the realities are far from that. You can also blame other clubs for signing riders that shouldn't be in the league but both have some pretty big hitters on their payroll and a payroll that appears to have issues with payments.

Dropping down would have a knock on effect to other lower tier clubs but that is why the rules need to be drawn up by all clubs involved. Its no greater benefit for Eastbourne to be in the CL or NDL if they are overpaying and not making things sustainable. A league can flourish when all the teams within it are able to compete and survive. A NDL with a payment cap, sensible points limit (possibly varied team build limits dependent on the success of the previous year) and a few minor tweaks could ensure the future of not just the individual clubs but the sport itself.

Completely agree, and the same could be said of all 3 leagues. The issue stems from those who wish to push the levels higher and higher within the lower leagues as they can afford to, but do not want/cannot sustain a higher level. I'm certainly not saying any Club should be forced up anywhere along the line, but they should be restricted in how strong they can go and have some distance put between each league so that each one can serve their purpose.

• Like 1

Think a pay cap at NDL would be a great idea. No problem with Eastbourne and other 'bigger' NDL clubs on an even playing field. As riders at that level are essentially part time then most fixtures can be held at weekends,  which helps crowds in most locations.

• Like 1

i just wonder if the team sport in the UK is being run down to a 'survival of the fittest' and work around that with one league and enough riders to fill the slots. 

allowing clubs to fold a bit too easy recently

• Like 1

I know I'm in the minority, but i support all of my local tracks, regardless of what level they race at. I've also been to amateur meetings this season at Lydd, Iwade and the Isle of Wight. I realise this does not appeal to majority of fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebaker said:

I have just been on the Eagles Website. Clicked on the link to purchase tickets for Saturday's match v Redcar. It is not opening the link to purchase tickets.

They're not on trybooking either when you search

It seems to me that Speedway in this country is in a pretty bad state. 

The number of people the vast majority of teams get through the door makes being a promotor near on impossible I would have thought. I'm afraid, in terms of the paying  public it just can't compete with what's on offer elsewhere. Facilities at most venues are, to say the least poor. The way the whole thing is presented is something like what was happening in the 1970S. Stupid rules that people who were going in the 1960s don't understand let alone new punters. The whole experience is old-fashioned and dated.

I know it's not a fair comparison, and a lot of money has been thrown at it. But, The 100 is an old fuddy-duddy sport that has been reinvented and offers just fantastic entertainment and value for money for the whole family. ........ But, this is the kind of thing that speedway is up against, I know which one will win.   

Edited by justathought
  • Like 1

As much as I dislike him - Speedway needs somebody like Eddie Hearn to promote it. The sport's demographic is dying so needs to attract they younger fan. 15 minutes of racing in 1min bursts should appeal to their attention span. However most stadia is knackered and dated + few promoters will invest in stadia or PA systems to any degree. The sport is a short sharp entertainment so should be easy to package on social media feeds. 

• Like 2

Interesting comments from Ben Barker in the Speedway Star re how the 2nd tier is "too strong" given so many top tier riders now double up and ride in it...

Which is making the costs to compete far too high for some 2nd tier tracks..

A very fair point.. 

Several pages later Ben says how delighted he is to get a place at Kings Lynn...:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Interesting comments from Ben Barker in the Speedway Star re how the 2nd tier is "too strong" given so many top tier riders now double up and ride in it...

Which is making the costs to compete far too high for some 2nd tier tracks..

A very fair point.. 

Several pages later Ben says how delighted he is to get a place at Kings Lynn...:D

Hes got a point, you need more clubs in the top league and a watered down lower legue with minimal doubling up..

trouble is, riders wouldnt make that pay in either league

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, M.D said:

Hes got a point, you need more clubs in the top league and a watered down lower legue with minimal doubling up..

trouble is, riders wouldnt make that pay in either league

Soon we will need to test if the riders wouldn’t make it pay.Minimal doubling up has to be introduced to make the sport Credible as a Team Sport.

• Like 3