British Speedway Forum
Hackett

Eastbourne 2020

On 8/22/2021 at 2:37 PM, KEITH M said:

So how can clubs cancel fixtures against Eastbourne ( or visa versa ) if the announcement isn’t until Tuesday? What if they announce everything is fine and they are continuing,what was the point in postponing the fixtures before the announcement?

How can you promote a fixture if you don't know it's going ahead or not? Better to call it now and sort other arrangements than commit to the costs like rent/programmes/paramedics that will all need paying in advance of the meeting.

On 8/22/2021 at 2:37 PM, KEITH M said:

So how can clubs cancel fixtures against Eastbourne ( or visa versa ) if the announcement isn’t until Tuesday? What if they announce everything is fine and they are continuing,what was the point in postponing the fixtures before the announcement?

It’s pretty obvious that Eastbourne agreed don’t you think.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

"cityrebel"   well, as you asked the question,  yes it is possible ......

maybe more then 2 riders haven't been paid ? (allegedly it is  only Kennett and Lawson)

maybe the stadium owners have refused them permission to race on the track ?. (allegedly owed  back rent)

tbh the longer this drags on, the more I fear that this might be the end of the Jordan/Fineing/Kilby/Gear era of Eastbourne Speedway Limited.

Both Birmingham and Newcastle are clearly struggling this season,  but both appear to have access to a track and a team of 7 riders who are willing to race for them in any of the 15 heats.

My remark was tongue in cheek. Eastbourne are in dire straits and I'm expecting the worse. The situation at Birmingham and Newcastle is different. The fans rallied and tried successfully to raise funds. At Arlington there has been no such response. Maybe the will isn't there, who knows. The silence has been deafening from both sides of the fence. Hopefully miracles do happen and we get a positive outcome tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

It’s pretty obvious that Eastbourne agreed don’t you think.:rolleyes:

Obvious to most but not all obviously.

43 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

My remark was tongue in cheek. Eastbourne are in dire straits and I'm expecting the worse. The situation at Birmingham and Newcastle is different. The fans rallied and tried successfully to raise funds. At Arlington there has been no such response. Maybe the will isn't there, who knows. The silence has been deafening from both sides of the fence. Hopefully miracles do happen and we get a positive outcome tomorrow.

I think with all the 'stuff' over the last 18 months ( covid and the continuing ineptitude of the people who 'run' speedway)it feels like you've been continually hit with a cricket bat in the face one way or another and it almost has got to point where what will be will be, hence the silence from the fans. I've got to the point where it's easier to see what is announced tomorrow than worry about it and comment beforehand, probably a lot feel the same.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gazzac said:

I think with all the 'stuff' over the last 18 months ( covid and the continuing ineptitude of the people who 'run' speedway)it feels like you've been continually hit with a cricket bat in the face one way or another and it almost has got to point where what will be will be, hence the silence from the fans. I've got to the point where it's easier to see what is announced tomorrow than worry about it and comment beforehand, probably a lot feel the same.

Fair points. My relationship with speedway has changed post lockdown. I will continue to support my two local tracks, Eastbourne and Kent, but apart from the odd trip, i don't do the miles anymore. Maybe it's an age thing, but i don't have the enthusiasm like i used to.

Edited by cityrebel
Mistake in post
  • Like 3

Hoping Eastbourne come out of this successfully as hopefully Newcastle & Birmingham have as well . But due to 3 lots of fixtures to arrange home an away in some cases.  ,have the Championship fixtures got a deadline date due to the play offs  . 
Thanks in advance

3 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Fair points. My relationship with speedway has changed post lockdown. I will continue to support my two local tracks, Eastbourne and Kent, but apart from the odd trip, i don't do the miles anymore. Maybe it's an age thing, but i don't have the enthusiasm like i used to.

Could have written the post myself (apart from the Kent bit) as you say probably an age thing, even the 100 mile round trip seems harder at 65 than 35!! 

1 minute ago, gazzac said:

Could have written the post myself (apart from the Kent bit) as you say probably an age thing, even the 100 mile round trip seems harder at 65 than 35!! 

I do a similar Journey from Surrey, but i try to make a day of it now, with a non league football match in the afternoon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Maybe the Eastbourne promotion/team aren't allowed to use the stadium due to outstanding rent issues. Therefore they can't rally the public to turn out in numbers like Newcastle and Birmingham did.

4 minutes ago, Bellers101 said:

Maybe the Eastbourne promotion/team aren't allowed to use the stadium due to outstanding rent issues. Therefore they can't rally the public to turn out in numbers like Newcastle and Birmingham did.

Tell the fans then.

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Tell the fans then.

They will tomorrow. That’s when they said there would be a statement. Not long to wait. 

1 minute ago, Richard Weston said:

They will tomorrow. That’s when they said there would be a statement. Not long to wait. 

What time you putting it on website @Richard Weston after you been to Abbots Wood?

7 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Birmingham & Newcastle were open & honest with the fans & asked for help! Eastbourne chose to kept it quiet (I certainly had no idea they were in trouble till riders missed rides at Leicester) until perhaps too late!

• Like 2