British Speedway Forum
Hackett

Eastbourne 2020

14 minutes ago, M.D said:

Apparently there was a short statement but this has now been removed from the website

It was this:

We have been asked by the BSPL Management Committee not to make any detailed statement today, as we had planned.

We remain in constant contact and communication with the Management Committee and they have requested us to make no further comment while various options and avenues are considered.

Whilst we are sure that this is frustrating for you, our supporters – and for us – it does allow us the opportunity to optimise all our energies on working through various options and solutions for the short, medium and long-term future.

Further detailed updates will follow as soon as possible.

6 minutes ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

It was this:

We have been asked by the BSPL Management Committee not to make any detailed statement today, as we had planned.

We remain in constant contact and communication with the Management Committee and they have requested us to make no further comment while various options and avenues are considered.

Whilst we are sure that this is frustrating for you, our supporters – and for us – it does allow us the opportunity to optimise all our energies on working through various options and solutions for the short, medium and long-term future.

The statement is there, slightly amended from the above.

43 minutes ago, Hackett said:

They were never planning to race this weekend as they were due to be on the Northern Tour - so I would imagine that it was never an option.

That wasn't great planning was it... Holiday resort club plans to bugger off up north for the weekend!

Christ, what a mess. Makes you wonder why a club waits until its 50k in debt (apparently) and can't pay riders before coming to the conclusion that it's in trouble... 

So basically season over for the Eagles then  , as it’s the 24/7/21 now and I’m sure to qualify for the playoffs it’s deadline for results is mid September and the playoffs are going to be run straight away  . So as a speedway fan would you come and watch fixtures which sre virtually null and void to the league table . I think at best for the eagles is re group and get a strategy ready for the next season in April , I wish the directors and management team good luck in there quest to continue 

2 minutes ago, Tosh1218 said:

So basically season over for the Eagles then  , as it’s the 24/7/21 now and I’m sure to qualify for the playoffs it’s deadline for results is mid September and the playoffs are going to be run straight away  . So as a speedway fan would you come and watch fixtures which sre virtually null and void to the league table . I think at best for the eagles is re group and get a strategy ready for the next season in April , I wish the directors and management team good luck in there quest to continue 

I feel for the management and fans.  In 2019 I saw massive strides being taken by the management  to bring in new fans which appeared to be working then along came 2020 and Covid and all the hard work of the previous year was lost and although there has been Speedway this year  with so many restrictions in place for the first few months of 2021 it seemed to me it was impossible for the management to try to pick up from where they had left off.  I hope Eastbourne manage to sort their problems and can compete in the Championship next year and if they do I will be there.

35 minutes ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

It was this:

Typical BSPL though……communication and openness is definitely not their strong point and with Eastbourne having promised us an honest statement today, they have obviously requested that the club say nothing!

Surely though as each day ticks past, this is going to get more and more difficult to rescue the season. Fixture dates running out, and riders missing out on other meetings if they haven’t been paid and want to be released to other teams, just 2 obvious things that spring to mind.

• Like 1

maybe ive missed a lot of the info to the build up to this season,but does anyone think the sad passing of Jon Cook was the start of things to come,as he had so much knowledge of how to go about things and get them done,a massive loss to the sport let alone eastbourne.Also dont the Dugard family have any input into the running of the club? I really dont understand how Eastbourne get themselves in this mess time and time again when they have all the assets of the stadium to full back on,either to promote other things specially during the holiday season,it cant be that much differance to Poole who DONT own the stadium but have made a fine go of it over the years(i know they are even struggleing at the moment).I know that other fans done on the south coast,most prob wont enjoy what im about to say but  why not ALL CLUB OWNERS just pull together and promote SPEEDWAY down there,trying to attract old fans to travel,and also promote new blood coming in.

Edited by speedwaysliders

20 minutes ago, Tosh1218 said:

What does the league table matter?  Surely, first of all, you go to watch the speedway racing.  If there’s a meeting on, it hardly matters whether it’s for the Gold Cup, European Cup, League Title, Grand National or whatever.  At the end of the day, it’s 14 riders battling it out on track with no brakes.  Why cut your nose off to spite your face, just because the Mickey Mouse league title is out of reach.  Support your club, pay your money, help to secure a future, enjoy the racing.  

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, speedwaysliders said:

I really dont understand how Eastbourne get themselves in this mess time and time again when they have all the assets of the stadium to full back on,either to promote other things specially during the holiday season,it cant be that much differance to Poole who DONT own the stadium but have made a fine go of it over the years

Eastbourne Eagles and Arlington Stadium are two separate concerns now, the speedway club rent the stadium from the Dugards on race nights.

5 minutes ago, SuperSpeed said:

Eastbourne Eagles and Arlington Stadium are two separate concerns now, the speedway club rent the stadium from the Dugards on race nights.

THANK you for that info,but as they are speedway people,would it not be possible  for the Dugards to somehow  set some kind of plan in place and not let it get this far,as they have been down this road before?

Edited by speedwaysliders

11 minutes ago, screm said:

Very poor from Eastbourne management.

Eastbourne have been asked by BSPL not to make their statement today, I am sure as soon as they are allowed to speak they will.

15 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

What does the league table matter?  Surely, first of all, you go to watch the speedway racing.  If there’s a meeting on, it hardly matters whether it’s for the Gold Cup, European Cup, League Title, Grand National or whatever.  At the end of the day, it’s 14 riders battling it out on track with no brakes.  Why cut your nose off to spite your face, just because the Mickey Mouse league title is out of reach.  Support your club, pay your money, help to secure a future, enjoy the racing.  

Unfortunately that's not how everyone feels about speedway. Some people want to see their teams win, and have a chance of winning silverware.

It's the same in every sport, when football teams get relegated their fans drop off in their thousands.

Not everyone is happy to spend what little money they may have on just seeing some speedway 

51 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Of course it matters quite clearly not to you but to the  majority it will ... People go to  watch there  team win 

Edited by orion