British Speedway Forum
Hackett

Eastbourne 2020

24 minutes ago, lewy said:

If Eastbourne pull out Leicester lose 7pts,is anyone from Leicester on the mc:blink:

Won't make any difference to  Leicester getting into the play offs really and more or less nailed on Poole will come top, then you've still every chance if everyone performs as they should. 

3 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Only if they've been indoctrinated that winning is everything.  Plenty of regular attendees (note l don't say fans) go to a speedway be entertained, to enjoy a night out in convivial company and to watch a good contest, good racing and a thrill and spill.   Your team wins, yes that's nice too, but it shouldn't be everything.

“Happiness is 40-38”, they used to say - not 65-13!!!!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, gazzac said:

Won't make any difference to  Leicester getting into the play offs really and more or less nailed on Poole will come top, then you've still every chance if everyone performs as they should. 

What matters is where the Eastbourne riders go, if the club closes...deadline day Friday.

3 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

What matters is where the Eastbourne riders go, if the club closes...deadline day Friday.

Hopefully nowhere. They remain at Arlington for 2021 and the club continues and sees the season out.

1 minute ago, Richard Weston said:

If Eastbourne close -- and I hope and pray they will not -- their rider-assets devolve to the SCB/BSPL.   I suspect that's only Tom Brennan from the current line-up.

The others -- loanees --will go back under the wing of whosoever "owns" their registration -- mostly Premiership clubs?

But even returned loanees would still be under SCB/BSPL control in such circumstances, and while MC permission might well be granted to allow clubs with long-term gaps (Glasgow for Ostergaard, Redcar for Stewart) to sign such riders "in the best interests of the sport" it might not be as easy for other clubs to just take on a former Eagle to bolster their side.     

That kind of move is -- surely -- less likely to gain MC approval without some further discussion.

However, as I said above, let's hope for the miracle.

1 hour ago, Marky_Mark said:

Yes, Leicester speedway owner Damien Bates 

And while there are many issues with British speedway, one of the biggest remains current promoters sitting on the committee. It's completely shambolic and has been for years. Until a genuinely objective committee sit at the top table our sport will always remain a joke.

Ex-riders / referees with an objective not speedway official should look after the sport to ensure decisions are made by people without a vested interest.

This of course takes away from the incredibly sad news that is another institutional brand in our sport has gone. I only hope the Eagles can find a way back to the tapes in 2022.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Difference being Poole is next to the town centre and Eastbourne is in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure that doesn't make it easy for them.

100% agree with you there,but with the super quick A22 to connect the 10 miles journey,ive just got this vision of  shuttle bus  sponsored shuttle bus  to and from Arlington.Also places like seaford and even brighton 40 mins drive could be targeted.

Praying for the miracle - but reading between the lines and seeing how speedway is organised I see today's non-announcement more about the SCB sorting out the situation with other promoters - lost points effecting the league and riders situations etc - rather than the delay being sorted to allow Eastbourne to find further funding. 

Eastbourne's location doesn't help them but it has been the same for years - All clubs are likely to struggle this season with the Covid restrictions and economic climate.  I remember seeing posters around Brighton in years past but as stated on other threads - the sport and fanbase is dying so the promoters have to look at other ways of targetting a younger demographic and bring in an independent Chairperson to run the sport. Love him or loathe him an Eddie Hearn type to promote the sport.  Social media coverage has improved but that is not difficult - the sport as a short sharp minute of action should be perfect for the younger generations attention span but needs experts in finding ways to tap into the digital age.. You-Tubers - instagram personalities riding on the back of a bike with a rider using go pros then using footage to their subscribers etc 

The greatest fear is that for anybody in London, Surrey + Sussex this is probably the last opportunity to watch the sport regularly live. My kids have been brought up with the sport taken in carrycots and now 11+15 - Kent Kings timings won't work , Poole is too far away ; so that will be it for a local side and  th speedway itch wil have to be scratched with SGP, British Finals and SoN if at Manchester. 

Should they look at cutting costs in the future and Eastbourne return to NL - those days with Martin + Connor Dugard were very good and a successful time for the club but the current level of NL racing is a far poorer offering and definately wouldn't hold the same interest in it's current format as it did previously. 

Fingers crossed but don't hold out much hope,  

• Thanks 1

Hope they survive wouldn’t be surprised if Godfrey has a few lined up for Scunthorpe’s final push for the playoffs.

7 hours ago, Hackett said:

Praying for the miracle - but reading between the lines and seeing how speedway is organised I see today's non-announcement more about the SCB sorting out the situation with other promoters - lost points effecting the league and riders situations etc - rather than the delay being sorted to allow Eastbourne to find further funding. 

Eastbourne's location doesn't help them but it has been the same for years - All clubs are likely to struggle this season with the Covid restrictions and economic climate.  I remember seeing posters around Brighton in years past but as stated on other threads - the sport and fanbase is dying so the promoters have to look at other ways of targetting a younger demographic and bring in an independent Chairperson to run the sport. Love him or loathe him an Eddie Hearn type to promote the sport.  Social media coverage has improved but that is not difficult - the sport as a short sharp minute of action should be perfect for the younger generations attention span but needs experts in finding ways to tap into the digital age.. You-Tubers - instagram personalities riding on the back of a bike with a rider using go pros then using footage to their subscribers etc 

The greatest fear is that for anybody in London, Surrey + Sussex this is probably the last opportunity to watch the sport regularly live. My kids have been brought up with the sport taken in carrycots and now 11+15 - Kent Kings timings won't work , Poole is too far away ; so that will be it for a local side and  th speedway itch wil have to be scratched with SGP, British Finals and SoN if at Manchester. 

Should they look at cutting costs in the future and Eastbourne return to NL - those days with Martin + Connor Dugard were very good and a successful time for the club but the current level of NL racing is a far poorer offering and definately wouldn't hold the same interest in it's current format as it did previously. 

Fingers crossed but don't hold out much hope,  

Top post. I'm lucky enough to be able to get to Kent on a Tuesday night, but after last nights farce, i do question my sanity sometimes.

39 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Took a look at the Spedeworth stock car fixtures,  http://www.spedeworth.co.uk/fixtures.php

all Eastbourne fixtures after the end of August are marked “provisional”.

I wonder what is going on down at Arlington ? 

It looks like fixtures at other tracks are listed as provisional as well, so I don't think there's too much to be gleaned from that.

58 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Took a look at the Spedeworth stock car fixtures,  http://www.spedeworth.co.uk/fixtures.php

all Eastbourne fixtures after the end of August are marked “provisional”.

I wonder what is going on down at Arlington ? 

So is every other track they operate at including Ipswich from September onwards. Nothing to read into there old Bob.