British Speedway Forum
Hackett

Eastbourne 2020

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

Under Covid restrictions, I read they could have 1,000 people in the stadium. That probably meant 900 fans with the other 100 or maybe a bit less being riders, mechanics staff etc. 

Poole was a sell-out (ie around 900). That was the top crowd. They dropped away thereafter and fell noticeably for Scunthorpe. Leicester didn't look very good and Plymouth was really no better than the NDL crowds of the past.

The drops were most noticeable drop came after the end of all restrictions..

Since the first meeting the promoters have said 1000 was the break even figure. Poole was a sell out and Kent with a good number of travelling fans was relatively close but the crowds have dropped steadily week to week. With the back-straight grandstand restricted in numbers the crowd is situated around the track but definitely noticeable that the numbers have dropped. The double headers, tapes delays, air-fence delays have not helped BUT as die-hard speedway fans are aware of these problems because they inevitably happen year on year.  As Ruckerroo stated I would of definitely been looking to load the local derbies during the summer months BUT this season has been a little different and taxing for all. In fairness Jordan + Kilby have been pretty transparent from meeting one stating that we need 1000 in the stadium to break even but who knows what was going on behind the scenes with the owners. Birmingham + Newcastle stated the difficulties they had faced - Eastbourne it would seem that we won't even get a "call to arms" like the Brummies + Diamonds - Just a couple of non committal statements - wait and see.  

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Mike0310 said:

Hope they survive wouldn’t be surprised if Godfrey has a few lined up for Scunthorpe’s final push for the playoffs.

If he has there should be mass protests and a petition to remove him, he's acting like a dictator.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Great Central said:

You may see it as the flying circus but we don't. We provide an evening packed full of entertainment for all ages at a very reasonable price for all people to watch, but moving on to your last comment about running from March to October. When running in the NL, we never planned to run in March or October, as we recognised that those months would be difficult for us but we did try and stage a meeting every week.. This year we are running later than in previous years so we will see how things look after those meetings but we may spring a surprise later on. 

I think you guys doing a great job dont get  me wrong  .so its nothing against you guys ...Just saying that i don't think  it will work elsewhere thou i could be wrong of course .. saying that Barry Bishops flying Circus has a  certain ring to it :D  Ps have you got Charlie Cairoli number ? 

Edited by orion

Beep Beep Beep, stand well clear, Orion reversing 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Hackett said:

Since the first meeting the promoters have said 1000 was the break even figure. Poole was a sell out and Kent with a good number of travelling fans was relatively close but the crowds have dropped steadily week to week. With the back-straight grandstand restricted in numbers the crowd is situated around the track but definitely noticeable that the numbers have dropped. The double headers, tapes delays, air-fence delays have not helped BUT as die-hard speedway fans are aware of these problems because they inevitably happen year on year.  As Ruckerroo stated I would of definitely been looking to load the local derbies during the summer months BUT this season has been a little different and taxing for all. In fairness Jordan + Kilby have been pretty transparent from meeting one stating that we need 1000 in the stadium to break even but who knows what was going on behind the scenes with the owners. Birmingham + Newcastle stated the difficulties they had faced - Eastbourne it would seem that we won't even get a "call to arms" like the Brummies + Diamonds - Just a couple of non committal statements - wait and see.  

Break even is 1000 people..? :o

Really?

Wow...

Optimistic to say the least I think..

Not many 2nd Div clubs get that amount as an average every week do they?...

• Like 2

All this talk of Brennan not being allowed to ride for Newcastle at Kent - I thought he wasn't there because the averages now no longer had him as their second heat leader, and they could not use a guest? Which is it?

19 minutes ago, hawks 1975 said:

All this talk of Brennan not being allowed to ride for Newcastle at Kent - I thought he wasn't there because the averages now no longer had him as their second heat leader, and they could not use a guest? Which is it?

Wethers is 2nd in the averages so entitled to a guest i would have thought

I’m hearing that Eastbourne are now allowing their riders to talk to other clubs although 3 of their riders have apparently already done deals with clubs , Up north they have been very busy with maybe 2/3 changes happening and a surprise exit with a 4th one now appealing to a club to give him a job which would result in another rider losing his team spot   It's going to get interesting over the next two days.

1 hour ago, M.D said:

In what way ? i said it works on the island but wont work elsewhere ...No reversing at all .

1 hour ago, W9 Lion said:

I’m hearing that Eastbourne are now allowing their riders to talk to other clubs although 3 of their riders have apparently already done deals with clubs , Up north they have been very busy with maybe 2/3 changes happening and a surprise exit with a 4th one now appealing to a club to give him a job which would result in another rider losing his team spot   It's going to get interesting over the next two days.

Sounds like Lawson & Brennan to Glasgow!

1 hour ago, W9 Lion said:

If that is the case Arlington soon to be housing. 

As has been hinted at before on this thread, I can't believe the current promotion thought that 1000 break even was achievable every week, absolute madness. Poole, aside, how many other teams in the Championship hit those kind of numbers?

Predictions

Kennett or Newman to Plymouth    Kemp to Redcar    Kerr to Scunthorpe     Brennan & Lawson to Glasgow 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Predictions

Kennett or Newman to Plymouth    Kemp to Redcar    Kerr to Scunthorpe     Brennan & Lawson to Glasgow 

Brennan and Lawson to Glasgow. Kerr to Scunthorpe. Newman to Plymouth. Kennett to quit. Kemp to Kent 

• Like 1

lawson won’t fit unless we drop cookie and can’t see the promotion dropping craig brennan in place of ulrich rather than RR   lewi kerr will slot into redcar in place of jordan stewart the rest will struggle to fit in really 

Edited by mac101