British Speedway Forum
Hackett

Eastbourne 2020

So it's official, the Eagles have gone. Another huge blow for us fans in the South East, following on from the recent demise of Lakeside and Rye House. I really will miss my Saturday nights in Sussex by the sea.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

I am equally positive that speedway will be at Arlington in 2022 under new management.

I wish I could share your optimism but, unless any prospective new management is willing to stump up £35,000 for a new air fence, I fear this may be it for speedway at Arlington.

17 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

So it's official, the Eagles have gone. Another huge blow for us fans in the South East, following on from the recent demise of Lakeside and Rye House. I really will miss my Saturday nights in Sussex by the sea.

The bigger question is.....are we nearing the end of League Speedway in this Country.

The amount of teams that have fallen by the wayside is frightening.

And it sounds like there could be more.:cry:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

Gutted is an understatement.  I have no doubt Eastbourne tried everything to keep coming to the tapes and my heart goes out to all the Management involved with this awful decision that has had to be taken.

Why is a new air fence required? Are you saying it belongs to somebody else?

3 minutes ago, Great Central said:

It was coming to the end of it's life and didn't meet the safety requirements for racing next year.

2 minutes ago, Great Central said:

Im guessing all assets will be seized to cover the outstanding finances? Really does need a thorough examination and publication of what, where and who went wrong (obviously that won't happen and it will all get brushed under the carpet). Those at the helm were clearly more stupid than they appeared and have destroyed a long running institution. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Gambo said:

I believe that all Eastbourne matches would be expunged from the records with Eastbourne riders reverting to their 2021 starting average.

So any team that has raced against Eastbourne would therefore probably have their averages re-calculated too.

Can I get my money refunded for the match at Leicester?

• Haha 1

Very sad for the Eastbourne fans. 

The more I read the more baffled I am about this sorry mess. Tom Brennan quoted in Star today saying riders owed money for SEVERAL  meetings. 

Alleged rent arrears to stadium owners. 

Then EB statement promising everyone refunds on tickets , merchandise for future events, donation to air fence fund etc etc So they must have some money in the bank ??

So with a ludicrous 1000 breakeven crowd target one wonders whether they ever got 1000 and every meeting in 2021 ran at a loss? 

Desperately sad that the late Charlie Dugard’s Speedway site didn’t quite make its 90th Anniversary

It will be a brave man/woman to take on EB speedway again, stocks to continue this season then I wonder about  the planning status of the Arlington site ?

Like Rye House Swindon Coventry Oxford does anyone seriously  really believe these tracks will ever be revived ??

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

The more I read the more baffled I am about this sorry mess. Tom Brennan quoted in Star today saying riders owed money for SEVERAL  meetings. 

Then EB statement promising everyone refunds on tickets , merchandise for future events, donation to air fence fund etc etc So they must have some money in the bank ??

So with a ludicrous 1000 breakeven crowd target one wonders whether they ever got 1000 and every meeting in 2021 ran at a loss? 

Desperately sad that the late Charlie Dugard’s Speedway site didn’t quite make its 90th Anniversary

It will be a brave man/woman to take on EB speedway again, stocks to continue this season then I wonder about  the planning status of the Arlington site ?

Like Rye House Swindon Coventry Oxford does anyone seriously  really believe these tracks will ever be revived ??

Oxford might have a chance, if someone can be found to take it on. Who would though, when the sport is on it's last legs.

9 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

There's little I can add really,saw Eastbourne at Leicester the other Saturday and if that's the last time it will be a very sad occasion,my heart goes out to the management,riders and most of all the passionate supporters of Eastbourne speedway,I loved my time watching the Tigers down there,very welcoming  and warm people and I loved the set up.Really hoping that you can come to the tapes next season.jesus.....what is happening to our wonderfull sport...it's so damn sad...

Edited by Moranboys
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cityrebel said:

Oxford might have a chance, if someone can be found to take it on. Who would though, when the sport is on it's last legs.

There is a circus promoter based in Oxford I believe...

• Haha 2