British Speedway Forum
Hackett

Eastbourne 2020

38 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Oxford might have a chance, if someone can be found to take it on. Who would though, when the sport is on it's last legs.

I believe Oxford is already sorted with a new promoter to run league speedway once the site is all ready to open 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Now that we've reached the endgame it would be helpful to understand what went wrong. Looking from the outside, at the start of the season, if asked to rank tracks most at risk of closure I think Eastbourne would have been quite low in my list (and most people's standings too)

What went wrong?

People didn't go in sufficient numbers. 

The audience for speedway on a regular basis in East Sussex has withered away to a few hundred.

7 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

Well, he will know where to find his first clown

Orion? Now that is harsh!

Edited by iainb

3 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Now that we've reached the endgame it would be helpful to understand what went wrong. Looking from the outside, at the start of the season, if asked to rank tracks most at risk of closure I think Eastbourne would have been quite low in my list (and most people's standings too)

I think its vital that what went wrong is analysed, publicised and learnt from. Eastbourne have been a lynchpin of British Speedway for just shy of 90 years. Any and every promotion at any club who is budgeting to unattainable figures is doing nothing but harm to the greater sport and the fans of the club they are custodians of. We feared that Brum and Newcastle wouldn't be the first but perhaps for once Eastbourne can be the last.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

Well, he will know where to find his first clown

i thought clowns had to be funny and interesting.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Richard Weston said:

What went wrong?

People didn't go in sufficient numbers. 

The audience for speedway on a regular basis in East Sussex has withered away to a few hundred.

That and over optimistic attendance breakeven numbers … due diligence on previous years attendances ?? Last time I went to Arlington several years ago would be amazed if they had 1000 there ( would have been a Lakeside away meeting

1 hour ago, hammer1969 said:

It was coming to the end of it's life and didn't meet the safety requirements for racing next year.

Thank you for the information. 

3 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I think its vital that what went wrong is analysed, publicised and learnt from. Eastbourne have been a lynchpin of British Speedway for just shy of 90 years. Any and every promotion at any club who is budgeting to unattainable figures is doing nothing but harm to the greater sport and the fans of the club they are custodians of. We feared that Brum and Newcastle wouldn't be the first but perhaps for once Eastbourne can be the last.

Dream on … speedway finances being made public ….don’t make me laugh. No one will ever be told the truth…. Just that not enough fans turned up … it’s the fans fault .

They have closed Eastbourne Speedway goodbye Mr Jordan Mr Fineing and goodnight. 

• Like 2

The biggest failure the Eastbourne promotion made was offering too high money to some riders just to get them to ride for Eastbourne with some being paid Premiership heatleader money as one rider described it to me it was “Telephone number worthy what they offered some people to ride for them. They also offered to high guarantee to some lesser riders again to get them in their team.

The promotors gambled on crowds returning and that Lee Kilby would be able to attract some lucrative corporate sponsors but they never materialised so right from the first meeting Eastbourne was not viable 

Edited by flagrag
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, flagrag said:

The biggest failure the Eastbourne promotion made was offering too high money to some riders just to get them to ride for Eastbourne with some being paid Premiership heatleader money as one rider described it to me it was “Telephone number worthy what they offered some people to ride for them.

The promotors gambled on crowds returning and that Lee Kilby would be able to attract some lucrative corporate sponsors but they never materialised so right from the first meeting Eastbourne was not viable 

Where were the checks and balances though... why was it left until the events at Leicester transpired for any alarm bells to start ringing at the BSPL offices

Sad news, first Charlie Watts, now this. Gutted doesn’t even come close. I guess I’ll get my fix at Kent now, could be their gain out of this.

Think it was probably wrong to build a Team budgeting for 1000 spectators at Championship level these days,how many other Teams actually achieve this figure.Poor Management.Obviously when the Club was run by the Dugards over the years any losses could be covered by their business,and probably was.Now the the New Promotion had to stand on its own two feet it was different.

7 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Think it was probably wrong to build a Team budgeting for 1000 spectators at Championship level these days,how many other Teams actually achieve this figure.Poor Management.Obviously when the Club was run by the Dugards over the years any losses could be covered by their business,and probably was.Now the the New Promotion had to stand on its own two feet it was different.

Nail on The head.