British Speedway Forum
Hackett

Eastbourne 2020

6 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Interesting how this thread has bounced a long at quite a lick this morning. 

Is it older folk who have time to themselves of younger people 'working' from home?

No prizes for guessing in which group I sit ;-)

48 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

No it's not.

I'd love to see my club promoted in the same way as Barry Bishop's Flying Circus... come to think of it I'd like to see my club promoted in the same way even as an actual circus, posters in local chippies, boards attached to lampposts etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

No prizes for guessing in which group I sit ;-)

I think most of them are in the same group- and in a nutshell that is speedway's problem. An audience that is literally withering away.

Too few of us 'skivers' allegedly working from home.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

I think most of them are in the same group- and in a nutshell that is speedway's problem. An audience that is literally withering away.

Too few of us 'skivers' allegedly working from home.

and for many of the older group of supporters , Covid was the final straw, and put them off returning to support speedway. Seems pretty obvious to me that was always going to be the case, and I would be very surprised if any tracks are seeing average attendances back to the "pre Covid"  levels of 2019. 

39 minutes ago, iainb said:

I'd love to see my club promoted in the same way as Barry Bishop's Flying Circus... come to think of it I'd like to see my club promoted in the same way even as an actual circus, posters in local chippies, boards attached to lampposts etc.

I would imagine he’ll take over hear and double his profits. No brainer given the success of IOW. 

2 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

and for many of the older group of supporters , Covid was the final straw, and put them off returning to support speedway. Seems pretty obvious to me that was always going to be the case, and I would be very surprised if any tracks are seeing average attendances back to the "pre Covid"  levels of 2019. 

Redcar are up quite a bit compared to 2019

• Like 1

At least Brands Hatch and Thruxton will gain a bit more from me certainly this season, both only about 20 miles further than Arlington for me, maybe double the money for Superbikes or BTCC compared to a speedway meeting( club meetings no dearer)but an all day event and could do half a dozen for the same money as my speedway budget. The trouble is me and my family have been speedway fans at Arlington for the last 25 years( me longer) , but used to do Brands a lot more than now, but it's all habit, get back into that again and next season don't think speedway would come back into the equation, unless by some miracle we can revert back to the NL level of 4/5 seasons ago, personally I think that's the end of speedway at Arlington sadly, only people to step in would be the Dugards again, and I really think they've had enough at this point.

1 hour ago, Sir Sidney said:

Given that it appears that not enough people were interested in the higher level product then that's a dilemma 

I disagree about there not being enough people, it appears it was simple financial mis-management.  1000 for break even is always going to fail so cut the expenditure/gravy from within the club.

6 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I disagree about there not being enough people, it appears it was simple financial mis-management.  1000 for break even is always going to fail so cut the expenditure/gravy from within the club.

I'd certainly agree that British speedway as a whole needs to have a serious rethink, and only pay out what it can afford

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike0310 said:

It’s very sad obviously but there will be other riders out of a job soon when they are replaced in there respective teams by Eastbourne riders just watch the next few days will be interesting because I bet Richard Lawsons phone for 1 will be red hot.

Doubt it, can't see why Newcastle, Berwick or Plymouth would break the bank for the last few meetings with little at stake and any other team would have to ditch a top rider like Cook, Masters, Andersen or Nicholls to fit him in.

I would expect some of the other riders notably Brennan and Kemp to be more in demand.

3 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Doubt it, can't see why Newcastle, Berwick or Plymouth would break the bank for the last few meetings with little at stake and any other team would have to ditch a top rider like Cook, Masters, Andersen or Nicholls to fit him in.

I would expect some of the other riders notably Brennan and Kemp to be more in demand.

Glasgow are on the phone to Lawson right now I would imagine. Craig Cook has opted to take time out of the sport due to mental health problems.

2 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

I'd certainly agree that British speedway as a whole needs to have a serious rethink, and only pay out what it can afford

Yes.  However, there is so much more that could be done to provide entertainment and no longer are 15 races enough.  I've said this so many times and whilst some may think it a circus, IOW are giving those who attend a great night and it's not just about the racing.  People get bored and there needs to be more for them to do in venturing out to watch speedway.  More interaction, other attractions for different age groups - how many teenagers/early 20s people love to hang out together away from their parents, what would they like to do at the speedway etc. etc. Play some out of date music and watch a tractor go around is not very compelling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

Interesting how this thread has bounced a long at quite a lick this morning. 

Is it older folk who have time to themselves of younger people 'working' from home?

Most are working from home at the moment - Have you seen London recently "ghost town" - ;-)

As stated on thread the issue is the demographic of the speedway fan - For clubs like Birmingham , Newcastle and Eastbourne state that they were missing fans who could not order tickets online - In this "Amazon Age" and supporters couldn't order tickets online there is your problem. My family has always gone with an old guy - who only went because we were able to order his ticket. "Transfer the money - oh we can't do that .... would have to go to the bank" unfortunately that is the issue for many. Speedway is a hand to mouth existence - No support - leads financial problems. 

Hopefully this will be a case of bury the financial mismanagement and bad debt and start again - like many a business has over the years. However if the new promotion will have to clear the debts first (£30,000-50,000 has been posted on here.) No potential speedway promoter is going to look at that at an option - no oil oligarch's or Saudi Prince's in speedway. Nearest we had was the Dark Lord of Wimborne Road and he chose to move to France. 

Fingers cross for a return but SPEEDWAY needs to be restructured with an independent body leading it into a new era - not a group of promoters papering over the cracks - year after year year, after year. 

1 minute ago, tocha said:

Glasgow are on the phone to Lawson right now I would imagine. Craig Cook has opted to take time out of the sport due to mental health problems.

If Cookie chooses to take time out - Lawson and Brennan will be announced on Fri.