British Speedway Forum
Hackett

Eastbourne 2020

40 minutes ago, rocket007 said:

So it's ok for Eastbourne to run up big debts, close down then re-open under a different company not owing anything. What about the poor sod's out of pocket, or is that just tough luck. If Eastbourne want to open again, all previous debts should be paid off first.

Yes. Fully agree. All us fans have suffered loses this season in some shape or form

2 minutes ago, Jimsboy said:

Yes. Fully agree. All us fans have suffered loses this season in some shape or form

That's why I'd never contribute to a begging bowl. Eastbourne's demise has been brought about by poor management. I've paid out more than enough over the years.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BEATTHEBOOKIEBOB said:

Thank you Hammer 1969 for the link - I have listened to it and indeed hope all debts are paid off in due course - And for the many that go I hope the Eagles come back next year - I class myself as a fan but have not been down to Arlington for about 3 years - I used to go regularly years ago following Wimbledon’s closure but gradually stopped as I found other speedway tracks offering better racing - trips to proper racetracks like Peterborough, Scunthorpe, Redcar, Perry Barr, and the king of them all the NSS - and this year regularly going to Central Park where until the last two meetings the racing has been really good especially when Scotty and Paul Starke miss the gate - I do however follow and cheer for the Eagles at away meetings - If racing does return next year I for one would like to see the track re-designed - Anyone else think it should be re-designed? - Or are fans happy with the current shape? - 

Not much they can do with it with in the constraints of the stock car track I imagine, shame it couldn't originally have built where the stock car track is now really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocket007 said:

So it's ok for Eastbourne to run up big debts, close down then re-open under a different company not owing anything. What about the poor sod's out of pocket, or is that just tough luck. If Eastbourne want to open again, all previous debts should be paid off first.

Come on, this happens in professional sport all the time! It's always the little guy who loses out.

In the BBCRS interview, Jordan does say "everything" from 2021 will be "cleared up".

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

3 hours ago, iainb said:

Who issues the safety certificate?

It's rather complex to explain. Pop alone to the start line between 6:30-7:15 tomorrow night & I will explain if you are at the Plymouth meeting.

Edited by W9 Lion
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, W9 Lion said:

It's rather complex to explain. Pop alone to the start line between 6:30-7:15 tomorrow night & I will explain if you are at the Plymouth meeting.

I'll be going to watch the Speedway, not argue the toss over safety certificates, thank you very much. All I'm thinking is if it's a self imposed rule by the speedway authorities they're not doing themselves any favours by requiring a whole tracks worth of fencing panels to be changed in one go. It's like chucking a pair of socks away when when develops a hole in it.

2 hours ago, rocket007 said:

That’s how any limited liability company works, and it happens. Small company directors usually have to give personal guarantees to cover any loans or debts, I doubt that Ian Jordan is walking away from this laughing, and I suspect he is out of pocket to a bigger tune than any of us, because as it stands I won’t be out of pocket, I’ve just received an email regarding my season ticket refund.

1 hour ago, Jimsboy said:

Such as? 

10 minutes ago, iainb said:

I'll be going to watch the Speedway, not argue the toss over safety certificates, thank you very much. All I'm thinking is if it's a self imposed rule by the speedway authorities they're not doing themselves any favours by requiring a whole tracks worth of fencing panels to be changed in one go. It's like chucking a pair of socks away when when develops a hole in it.

If you were out there racing and smacked an old panel at 60 m.p.h. as opposed to a newer more durable panel, you might change your opinion!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PowerfulPierre said:

If you were out there racing and smacked an old panel at 60 m.p.h. as opposed to a newer more durable panel, you might change your opinion!

Yes, that's exactly right, it's just what I said in my post, I distinctly said all tracks should have unsafe air bag panels all the way around the track... smh

So, by your logic they should be replaced with brand new ones for every match :drink:

10 minutes ago, iainb said:

Yes, that's exactly right, it's just what I said in my post, I distinctly said all tracks should have unsafe air bag panels all the way around the track... smh

So, by your logic they should be replaced with brand new ones for every match :drink:

They have a "shelf life" of a number of years as has been previously explained, and once that period is reached, they have to go, hence why Leicester replaced their red and yellow one's.

Edited by PowerfulPierre

20 minutes ago, iainb said:

I had no intention of argueing, especially the toss, just showing you the relevant section from the rule book regarding track certification. It's eight plus pages so I dont have the time to upload it onto here.

For several of those riders its deja vu, Lawson, Newman and Kerr were all at Lakeside in the final season and that ended up folding with riders owed money they will never get back even if the Hammers team is reborn as Thurrock, which lets face it, if we are honest, its not going to happen and those riders still wont get their money as it will be classed as a new business.

Ironic that Thurrock Hammers was sponsoring the National League team.

36 minutes ago, marko said:

For several of those riders its deja vu, Lawson, Newman and Kerr were all at Lakeside in the final season and that ended up folding with riders owed money they will never get back even if the Hammers team is reborn as Thurrock, which lets face it, if we are honest, its not going to happen and those riders still wont get their money as it will be classed as a new business.

Ironic that Thurrock Hammers was sponsoring the National League team.

I tell you what is ironic. Ian Jordan closes Eastbourne speedway, yet one of his unpaid riders Richard Lawson, signs for Plymouth, another Ian Jordan track. That's real irony for you!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Trackerman48 said:

Iain you will find a  airfence only last for 6 or 7yrs . Same as Birmingham they need a new one.

Lakesides air bags lasted a lot longer then that.  They got some second hand ones from Coventry around 2012/13 which were still,in use at the end, but some of the others were from Ronnie Russell’s days or perhaps earlier and they were still in use at the end, so they could possibly have been 15+ years old . However because of stock cars the airfences were taken down after every meeting so that might have had something to do with their longevity. Another thing is that the ones they got from Coventry were a lot lighter than the older ones. I don’t know whether the ex- Coventry ones were more modern materials, or whether the older Lakeside ones were better quality but they were back breaking to lift, usually taking at least two teams of five to lift alternately and throw them on a trailer , with two more going ahead getting the air out and folding them. Very hard work! 
The figure I heard for the cost of new ones was £20,000,  but that was several years ago , so it could well be 25,000 in today’s money.