British Speedway Forum
Hackett

Eastbourne 2020

Sounds like Gordon Kennett may have a spin at Arlington on a Weslake upright engine with the old GK red and black colours, bike sorted by Gordon and Steve Weatherly. Great to see the master have a few laps again if it can be sorted..

• Like 4

8 hours ago, eaglesno1 said:

No you do still have Somerset v Glasgow, check the fixtures. Eastbourne v Poole is the 2nd round. It exactly the same as the original draw except Newcastle and Poole swapping places.

So why did Poole & Newcastle swap places rather than Edinburgh & Eastbourne swapping places then? Answers on a postcard please!

14 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

So why did Poole & Newcastle swap places rather than Edinburgh & Eastbourne swapping places then? Answers on a postcard please!

Save on the stamp though, its done now and as usual probably be no explanation. 

22 hours ago, M.D said:

Sounds like Gordon Kennett may have a spin at Arlington on a Weslake upright engine with the old GK red and black colours, bike sorted by Gordon and Steve Weatherly. Great to see the master have a few laps again if it can be sorted..

Last time I saw him do some laps I seem to remember he did 4 laps in 63secs. Only about a second or so a lap slower than todays times, and still looked as effortless as he did all those years ago.

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

In answer to that question on the Eastbourne club Facebook page, Ian Jordan said:

......, we were originally drawn a bye in Round 1 and v Newcastle who also had a Round 1 bye in Round 2.

There were 8 teams in 4 ties in R1 and 4 teams in R2 (including us and Newcastle) given byes to R2 and those 4 teams were drawn against each other.

That was published by BSPA.

So when we got draft Fixtures about 3 weeks ago I was shocked to see we had drawn Poole in Round 2 and still had a R1 bye.

It was queried and a valid and confidential explanation was given to us.

The revised Draw is what it is, we abide by it and it is non negotiable.

I have seen speculation that the change is due to "cost cutting" "geographical considerations" and various conspiracy theories.

I am always happy to be 100% transparent about Eastbourne matters when ethically possible and it is a fact that the change was nothing to do with us.

The reasons once explained were perfectly acceptable, common sense and out of respect to all Clubs involved we are happy to be riding v Poole in Round 2.

Some may think they are tougher opponents and others may argue it is a commercially more attractive tie.

It's all swings and roundabouts and whoever gets to the next stage will do so on merit and hopefully massive crowds and we wish Newcastle all the best and may be we can mét them in the semi or final.

Honestly though nothing here for any conspiracy theories  ......Ian Jordan

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

In answer to that question on the Eastbourne club Facebook page, Ian Jordan said:

......, we were originally drawn a bye in Round 1 and v Newcastle who also had a Round 1 bye in Round 2.

There were 8 teams in 4 ties in R1 and 4 teams in R2 (including us and Newcastle) given byes to R2 and those 4 teams were drawn against each other.

So when we got draft Fixtures about 3 weeks ago I was shocked to see we had drawn Poole in Round 2 and still had a R1 bye.

I have seen speculation that the change is due to "cost cutting" "geographical considerations" and various conspiracy theories.

I am always happy to be 100% transparent about Eastbourne matters when ethically possible and it is a fact that the change was nothing to do with us.

The reasons once explained were perfectly acceptable, common sense and out of respect to all Clubs involved we are happy to be riding v Poole in Round 2.

Some may think they are tougher opponents and others may argue it is a commercially more attractive tie.

It's all swings and roundabouts and whoever gets to the next stage will do so on merit and hopefully massive crowds and we wish Newcastle all the best and may be we can mét them in the semi or final.

Pity Ian Jordon isn't in charge of speedway in this country  in all my many years of going to speedway never known anyone so straight forward and truthful with his comments. A few sentences and everyone knows what's what with any situation. :t:

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

That statement will not quell any options of favouritism or a conspiracy I'm afraid!

5 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

That statement will not quell any options of favouritism or a conspiracy I'm afraid!

19 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

“Valid and confidential “ this years new buzz words in the rule book it seems.:rolleyes:

52 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

With reference to the KO Cup and the change in the draw....it was Poole what done it!

They have admitted they wanted the change.

So now we know.  

Details on Poole website

https://www.poole-speedway.com/news/view/2020-01-27-second-round-cup-confirmation

Link doesn’t seem to be working at the moment. Assume Poole won’t be taking part in the play offs then if they qualify and draw a team north of Sussex. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

Link doesn’t seem to be working at the moment. Assume Poole won’t be taking part in the play offs then if they qualify and draw a team north of Sussex. 

So is the mystery over?

Poole up to silly games before season started; Newcastle acted with great integrity and Eastbourne once they knew what had been done played a straight bat and tried not to spill the beans, forcing a statement from Poole to fess up??? 

Or is there another theory?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

I just checked and link has worked for me.

Someone has copied and pasted the text into the Knock out cup thread.

It is something I personally don't like doing because the original material is the copyright of Poole speedway and extra visitors to the Poole website may help the Pirates sell adverts etc or give exposure to sponsors. 

I would say the same about any club website - I don't usually look to do Poole favours:lol: but in this case I happily will because it is the right way, in my view.

1 hour ago, HGould said:

So is the mystery over?

Poole up to silly games before season started; Newcastle acted with great integrity and Eastbourne once they knew what had been done played a straight bat and tried not to spill the beans, forcing a statement from Poole to fess up??? 

Or is there another theory?

An even greater incentive for Eastie to continue their annually good KO cup form and dump Poole out of it.

• Like 1

Looking at the April fixtures, Poole are not racing on Wednesday 8th & Poole v Birmingham on the 15th could have been re-arranged.

Poole did not have to have a busy start to the season as all other teams have spare days. What is their alternative race night? :rolleyes:

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Looking at the April fixtures, Poole are not racing on Wednesday 8th & Poole v Birmingham on the 15th could have been re-arranged.

Poole did not have to have a busy start to the season as all other teams have spare days. What is their alternative race night? :rolleyes:

You hit the ail on the head, got nothing to do with available dates 

Everything to do with-:

1000 mile round trip

Sam Masters / Richie Worrall / Josh Pickering !

Early exit in KOC and locals would be despondent

• Haha 1