British Speedway Forum
Hackett

Eastbourne 2020

2 hours ago, Najjer said:

I’ve had this argument about air fences many times in the past. Whilst you don’t see the ‘fences lifting’ or riders sliding under them anywhere near as much as you used to around 20 years ago, I’ve never understood why the fences aren’t sunk into the ground 12” or even more and then anchored down to prevent that being an issue?

Since I have been going to Kent after Arena folded, I have seen several riders slide under the air fence and get up and walk away without a scratch. Now

and then a rider will do that, but get tangled with his bike as well which obviously can cause injury.  But I suspect that if the rider and bike cannot slide under

the fence injuries would be worse..  I'm no expert, but just see what I see.  Don't know what is behind the air fence to hold it up, but it can't be much.

3 hours ago, Najjer said:

I’ve had this argument about air fences many times in the past. Whilst you don’t see the ‘fences lifting’ or riders sliding under them anywhere near as much as you used to around 20 years ago, I’ve never understood why the fences aren’t sunk into the ground 12” or even more and then anchored down to prevent that being an issue?

You've obviously never been in charge of the air fence like I was at Newcastle.. The idea of a 12in  hole is neither practical or affordable.

AirFences serve different situations. 

1 -  Fixed fence, that can be left in position each week. Again two different scenarios. Fences that can be left like foam fences(Berwick and Glasgow) needing only cleaning between meetings, and inflated fences that are in position (Redcar) but need to be deflated and then reflated before each meeting. In each case, it is beneficial to cover the fence with advertising and plain banners which are much easier to clean that the fence. Only need to spray the top and the skirts of the actual fence.

2 - Detached fence where, after the meeting, they have to be deflated and folded, and then inflated and attached to the fence by hooks(Newcastle) before the next meeting. The reason for this is that the Stadium owners insist on the fence being dropped, so that the doggies punters can see their legs when the dogs are racing in the outer track.   :o Again you should need banners to make fence cleaning easier and minimised.

3 - Moveabable fence, where the airfence is in front of Armco metal fence for the stocks racing (Scunthorpe), and folded over the back of the Armco for Stox meetings.

4 - Remove the fence totally like I believe Sheffield have to do, to accommodate the requests of the stadium owners to satisfy the dog owners. Why would happened to the hole then ?

As you can see there are differences, and the suggestion like digging the 12 in hole for the airfence is only a possibly a runner in situation 1 above, but the cost of the airfence would be considerably enhanced, but for what improvement ?

In situation 3, it would be impossible to run the stocks with a 12in hole in front of the Armco, as vehicles would lock their front wheel in the run caused a crash when previously the vehicle would just glance off the barrier and continue racing.

In situation 2. the hole would fill up with rain water which would have to be removed to insert the airfence, and which would be extremely messy, more messy than it is now. That water would have to be lifted to go somewhere, and during the week there is the possibility of the water ingressing into the track, and then making the track preparation difficult by having to squeeze the water out in order to deliver a uniformly water track for the next meeting. What happens if the edge collapses ? Again the extra cost the larger airfence would be considerably enhanced with no benefits, but great difficulties for the fence erectors and the track curator.   

No doubt you will repeat your opening sentence again in a years time. :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tsunami said:

You've obviously never been in charge of the air fence like I was at Newcastle.. The idea of a 12in  hole is neither practical or affordable.

1 -  Fixed fence, that can be left in position each week. Again two different scenarios. Fences that can be left like foam fences(Berwick and Glasgow) needing only cleaning between meetings, and inflated fences that are in position (Redcar) but need to be deflated and then reflated before each meeting. In each case, it is beneficial to cover the fence with advertising and plain banners which are much easier to clean that the fence. Only need to spray the top and the skirts of the actual fence.

2 - Detached fence where, after the meeting, they have to be deflated and folded, and then inflated and attached to the fence by hooks(Newcastle) before the next meeting. The reason for this is that the Stadium owners insist on the fence being dropped, so that the doggies punters can see their legs when the dogs are racing in the outer track.   :o Again you should need banners to make fence cleaning easier and minimised.

3 - Moveabable fence, where the airfence is in front of Armco metal fence for the stocks racing (Scunthorpe), and folded over the back of the Armco for Stox meetings.

4 - Remove the fence totally like I believe Sheffield have to do, to accommodate the requests of the stadium owners to satisfy the dog owners. Why would happened to the hole then ?

As you can see there are differences, and the suggestion like digging the 12 in hole for the airfence is only a possibly a runner in situation 1 above, but the cost of the airfence would be considerably enhanced, but for what improvement ?

In situation 3, it would be impossible to run the stocks with a 12in hole in front of the Armco, as vehicles would lock their front wheel in the run caused a crash when previously the vehicle would just glance off the barrier and continue racing.

In situation 2. the hole would fill up with rain water which would have to be removed to insert the airfence, and which would be extremely messy, more messy than it is now. That water would have to be lifted to go somewhere, and during the week there is the possibility of the water ingressing into the track, and then making the track preparation difficult by having to squeeze the water out in order to deliver a uniformly water track for the next meeting. What happens if the edge collapses ? Again the extra cost the larger airfence would be considerably enhanced with no benefits, but great difficulties for the fence erectors and the track curator.   

Dave's got the t-shirt.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

Dave's got the t-shirt.  ;)

Also helps to have a good group of track volunteers to help with the air fence's that have to be put up and taken down before and after meetings - newcastle have a particular good group that I know of. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Using these scenarios then, why would a trench not work in scenarios 1, 2 and 4? I appreciate it can’t be used at tracks where they have stox but that doesn’t stop it being a better solution for other tracks where it is possible.

For anybody with a basic understanding of fabrication, groundwork’s and construction, it would be very easy to solve the ‘issue’ you mention of the edge collapsing.

For what purpose you asked?? For increased safety. You can’t put a price on that.

• Haha 1

On 12/22/2020 at 3:16 PM, East End Fan said:

Since I have been going to Kent after Arena folded, I have seen several riders slide under the air fence and get up and walk away without a scratch. Now

and then a rider will do that, but get tangled with his bike as well which obviously can cause injury.  But I suspect that if the rider and bike cannot slide under

the fence injuries would be worse..  I'm no expert, but just see what I see.  Don't know what is behind the air fence to hold it up, but it can't be much.

I would highlight the exceedingly-severe (season-ending) injuries incurred by (for example) Chris Holder at Coventry, Jason Doyle at the Torun GP in 2016 and Tom Brennan at Eastbourne.   

In each case a bike lifted the fence and the following rider slid through unimpeded to hit an immovable object.      

Had there been regular foam-fences at these tracks, these accidents might not have had such severe consequences.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, crescent girl said:

I would highlight the exceedingly-severe (season-ending) injuries incurred by (for example) Chris Holder at Coventry, Jason Doyle at the Torun GP in 2016 and Tom Brennan at Eastbourne.   

In each case a bike lifted the fence and the following rider slid through unimpeded to hit an immovable object.      

Had there been regular foam-fences at these tracks, these accidents might not have had such severe consequences.

Just goes to show, there is no "One size fits all".  The injuries you describe to Holder, Doyle and Brennan, would not have happened with the same

accident situation at Kent, so he fence there can be different to other places Clearly, where those riders got hurt needed a different design of fence

so that riders cannot slide under. Maybe it is time for a campaign to make that happen ?  No one likes seeing riders hurt.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Just goes to show, there is no "One size fits all".  The injuries you describe to Holder, Doyle and Brennan, would not have happened with the same

accident situation at Kent, so he fence there can be different to other places Clearly, where those riders got hurt needed a different design of fence

so that riders cannot slide under. Maybe it is time for a campaign to make that happen ?  No one likes seeing riders hurt.

I’ve suggested a solution to that but been told it’s not feesible because people putting the fence up might get abit more muddy than normal :)

• Sad 1

I think the foam fences at Gillman  & Mildura speedways out here in Aussie, have a flap on the bottom which is covered in dirt when the where installed & helps keep them stuck on the ground. I’ve seen BK go over the fence, but can’t recall if anyone has gone under the fences.. I could be wrong though. 

1 hour ago, Duane said:

I think the foam fences at Gillman  & Mildura speedways out here in Aussie, have a flap on the bottom which is covered in dirt when the where installed & helps keep them stuck on the ground. I’ve seen BK go over the fence, but can’t recall if anyone has gone under the fences.. I could be wrong though. 

Yes, all fences have a relatively stiff rubber skirt on the bottom of the fence.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that the reason why we don't see many riders going under the fence, is that there are three straps on the ends and in the middle of the base of the fence fastened to the front under the skirt, and these go under the fence, under the kickboard and the  actual fence and pulled up and fastened by a hook to the middle of the back of the fence. When inflated the fence is then held by the hooks at about 3 foot high, and the 3 lashing straps about 2 foot up from the bottom of the fence. It's a very tight fastening.

2 hours ago, Najjer said:

I’ve suggested a solution to that but been told it’s not feesible because people putting the fence up might get abit more muddy than normal :)

So you think that despite what I've said it's all just about a bit of messy rainwater. :D

I am aware you are not a supporter these days or have a duty with a promotion, but you have proved you are still never wrong whilst never being right. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tsunami said:

So you think that despite what I've said it's all just about a bit of messy rainwater. :D

I am aware you are not a supporter these days or have a duty with a promotion, but you have proved you are still never wrong whilst never being right. ;)

Of course I’m a supporter - I wouldn’t be on a Speedway forum if I wasn’t a speedway supporter. It’s the level of that support is what has changed over the years along with a whole host of other people.... who are never right :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Is the issue at Eastbourne the same as Ipswich. Stock Car track outside the speedway track so they have to keep taking the speedway fence down and putting it back up again. There article suggest that?.

Some others like Kings Lynn, Mildenhall and Scunthorpe who stage stocks on the speedway track presumably have to take air fence down too.

Most other tracks simply have to deflate and inflate it.

I would imagine the more static your fence can be the easier it is and more likely to have foam fence.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Is the issue at Eastbourne the same as Ipswich. Stock Car track outside the speedway track so they have to keep taking the speedway fence down and putting it back up again. There article suggest that?.

Some others like Kings Lynn, Mildenhall and Scunthorpe who stage stocks on the speedway track presumably have to take air fence down too.

Most other tracks simply have to deflate and inflate it.

I would imagine the more static your fence can be the easier it is and more likely to have foam fence.

Yes, the stock car track at Arlington is on the outside of the speedway track and after the stadium is used for speedway it needs to be left ready for a stock car meeting, fence wise.

Cutting a 12" ditch for a safety fence is not an option for obvious reasons.

Arlington goes into tier 4 on the 26th, can we see that lifted by easter? I have my doubts..

• Sad 1

Great to see Eastbourne Speedway gearing up for the new season by unveiling plans to go digital. #DigitalEagles

This has to be the way forward for all clubs. Digital is so flexible and offers so many possibilities. Guess fans from clubs visiting Arlington might want to "buy-in' to the service on a one-off basis.

And there's no throwing out the baby with the bathwater...well not the baby – those who are older, more traditional who want a printed programme, PA announcements and interviews via the centre-green presenter.

The secret is to cater for all your fans and make speedway night a real night out.

Well done Eastbourne for having this vision

https://www.eastbourne-speedway.com/eagles-plan-digital-transformation/

• Like 3