British Speedway Forum
Hackett

Eastbourne 2020

Just kicking the can down the road...

There are too many clubs anyway, although everyone seems to pitch it as "not enough riders"

• Like 1

My understanding is that Eastbourne owners have until Midnight Tuesday to pay the outstanding debts to the riders for wages  and SCB for their fees ,otherwise the SCB & BSPL will terminate their license with riders getting paid at standard BSPL rates out of the bond that is held for each club.

In the meantime as there is no guarantee that this demand can be met by the Eastbourne club all riders have been advised that they are free to speak to other clubs if they wish which as they have not been paid for so long  and had numerous false promises they may well consider moving on a safer option.

Edited by flagrag

If this is as you allege, then re assuring that the riders will get paid something from the BSPL "bond ".

Not likely that the stadium owners will ever rent the stadium out for speedway again  - given they are no doubt owed rent.  

13 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

If this is as you allege, then re assuring that the riders will get paid something from the BSPL "bond ".

Not likely that the stadium owners will ever rent the stadium out for speedway again  - given they are no doubt owed rent.  

The riders will still lose out significantly if this was to happen , Although I have heard one of the biggest issues they have had at Eastbourne was paying riders over the odds to get them to ride for them. It seems the promotion took a gamble on 2019 size crowds returning and that they could secure some lucrative commercial sponsorship but unfortunately neither materialised.

I do hope that some people can come forward to save the club in the next few days so the club can finish the season.

1 hour ago, woofers said:

Website statement:

https://www.eastbourne-speedway.com/eastbourne-eagles-speedway-statement/

Ongoing discussions, Saturday v Redcar off

I just get a message saying unsafe website

Though reading the following posts the future doesn't look bright.

Time for more promotions to follow the lead of Len Silver and the late Colin Hill. 

A decent day's pay for a decent day's work

Pay your employees on time

Your employees are happy as being paid and remain loyal

I bet many a rider has thought the grass was greener and realised their mistake over the years.

Also one of the biggest grumbles in the sport for what seems forever is too many team changes each season.

Both the above named promoters tended to keep the basis of the previous seasons squad so fans were happy as continuity in the team makeup. I doubt if the riders would stay loyal to the Promoter/club if they weren't getting paid.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, flagrag said:

The riders will still lose out significantly if this was to happen , Although I have heard one of the biggest issues they have had at Eastbourne was paying riders over the odds to get them to ride for them. It seems the promotion took a gamble on 2019 size crowds returning and that they could secure some lucrative commercial sponsorship but unfortunately neither materialised.

I do hope that some people can come forward to save the club in the next few days so the club can finish the season.

There lies the problem that blights the sport,the Promoters that run the sport  and set pay rates pay over the odds causing a lot of the trouble at other Clubs.The chickens are coming home to roost for the overpaid riders.

• Like 2

What happens if some of the riders go to other clubs,  as they have said they are free to do where will that leave eastbourne ? If they can pay off the debts,  would it be a team of guests.  

40 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

What happens if some of the riders go to other clubs,  as they have said they are free to do where will that leave eastbourne ? If they can pay off the debts,  would it be a team of guests.  

A rider can’t appear in two 1-7s. If a rider moved on, Eastbourne would have to put together a declared 1-7 made up of riders who are available.

I d say although speedway is looking a big doubt to finish the season. The long term future of the stadium must be pretty safe. Bangers are still putting 4 figure crowds in on a weekly basis.

My best guess would be that Eastbourne will come to the tapes in 2022 but under new management.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

I d say although speedway is looking a big doubt to finish the season. The long term future of the stadium must be pretty safe. Bangers are still putting 4 figure crowds in on a weekly basis.

My best guess would be that Eastbourne will come to the tapes in 2022 but under new management.

I think thats pretty much the only hope at the moment but its a slim one..

So there are "standard pay rates"...?

ie A financial control...

A shame then that it isnt followed isnt it?

If it was, it could help keep clubs solvent couldn't it?

Just a thought...

• Like 2

Sometimes to much is made of the state of uk  speedway for the problems clubs face .... Should Eastbourne really be in this much trouble due to one or two bad crowds ? 

Who knows what go's on behind closed doors and if all funds etc have gone back into the club ...sometimes its just down to poor people who run the club 

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, mikebv said:

So there are "standard pay rates"...?

ie A financial control...

A shame then that it isnt followed isnt it?

If it was, it could help keep clubs solvent couldn't it?

Just a thought...

I have asked that Question before ,but no one seem to know.

So how much do the riders get paid per point from BSPA if Club goes under..?

20 hours ago, Fromafar said:

There lies the problem that blights the sport,the Promoters that run the sport  and set pay rates pay over the odds causing a lot of the trouble at other Clubs.The chickens are coming home to roost for the overpaid riders.

Not really .. you pay what you can and cut you cloth to that level ...if your going to get 500 fans each week your team should reflect that just like any other sport and if you come near the bottom so be it .

Eastbourne quite clearly put  a shocking Business plan together based on silly numbers coming to watch 

Edited by orion
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, orion said:

Not really .. you paid what you can and cut you cloth to that level ...if your going to get 500 fans each week your team should reflect that just like any other sport and if you come near the bottom so be it .

Eastbourne quite clearly put  a shocking Business plan together based on silly numbers coming to watch 

The crowds at Arlington have crashed post lockdown. I would imagine apart from the first 2 meetings, they are probably 300 down. If you multiply this x £18, it's a small fortune to lose on a weekly basis. Add on the payments for away meetings and it's easy to see that the sums don't add up.

Edited by cityrebel
Spelling mistake