British Speedway Forum
Hackett

Eastbourne 2020

5 minutes ago, orion said:

The subject is  Eastbourne .. Eastbourne had bigger crowds at a early stage so there plight the subject we are talking about has little to do with covid  just rank bad mangerment .. To much is made of what is going on in the iow .. its a captive audience in Holiday season .Fair play to the people who run it because they have maximize it but the chances of it  working elsewhere are zero 

Everyone needs to embrace change .. 

1 hour ago, M.D said:

I may be wrong but I thought that Martin didn't have anything to do with the Stadium anymore?

I agree with you MD …. remember reading that Martin and Connor “stepped aside” when the successful NDL team was closed down afterJordan/ Fineing/Cook took the reins. Looking on the Companies House Website no sign of Martin Dugard  as a director ….  nor listed as a promoter . 

Must only be waiting for BSPL to approve the final statement from the club … with every other club cancelling their EB fixtures weeks in advance, and Tom Brennan unable to guest for Newcastle as not being registered in a teams 1-7? 

How the club has sunk so quickly from the start of 2021 with 2 teams lined up ….To such a position of debt …. We shall never know ……

1 minute ago, old bob at herne bay said:

I agree with you MD …. remember reading that Martin and Connor “stepped aside” when the successful NDL team was closed down afterJordan/ Fineing/Cook took the reins. Looking on the Companies House Website no sign of Martin Dugard  as a director ….  nor listed as a promoter . 

Must only be waiting for BSPL to approve the final statement from the club … with every other club cancelling their EB fixtures weeks in advance, and Tom Brennan unable to guest for Newcastle as not being registered in a teams 1-7? 

How the club has sunk so quickly from the start of 2021 with 2 teams lined up ….To such a position of debt …. We shall never know ……

Just not true.      A tale that has grown wings.

Any rider, currently in any 1-7 (including Eastbourne's, until anything changes permanently) can guest for anyone.

6 minutes ago, Jonnybegood said:

Everyone needs to embrace change .. 

Only if its for the better 

1 hour ago, orion said:

iow is speedway ran   on a holiday island in holiday time  . As for covid Eastbourne crowds were bigger at the start before covid restrictions were lifted .Do you really think that the iow circus act would work elsewhere ? 

Stock Cars seem to work at Eastbourne...

A proper "circus act"...

Have you seen the bangers? :D

The same track that is in exactly the same place, ie still miles away from the town, when either Stock Car racing or Speedway is there.. 

Yet one sport pays for itself and one obviously doesnt..

You can only therefore presume it's down to what's on offer, rather than how far from town it is..

Maybe that IOW "Circus" could work too given Eastbourne through this summer in particular will be packed with holiday makers..?

I suppose sadly we will never know...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mikebv said:

A proper "circus act"...

The same track that is in exactly the same place, ie still miles away from the town, when either Stock Car racing or Speedway is there.. 

You can only therefore presume it's down to what's on offer, rather than how far from town it is..

Maybe that IOW "Circus" could work too given Eastbourne through this summer in particular will be packed with holiday makers..?

And the truth of this is.... we have based our "circus" on my experience travelling to speedway in the US, Canada, across Europe where with the exception of Poland it is run very successfully... I know its not for everyone but there is no reason AT ALL, why the "Circus" cannot be run at the same time as a league meeting...  We do not proclaim to be the font of all knowledge, please remember we were in our view bullied out of the BSPL  and then took the bull by the horns and sad no, no this isnt right and decided we will now run speedway how we wanted to run it 6 years ago but were stopped. There is no one to stop it now, and it will, without doubt, grow. 

Enjoy your speedway wherever you view it and keep supporting your clubs.

Edited by barrybishop
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Have no interest in "Banger Racing" but Bob + Martin both made it clear that bangers generated far more revenue than speedway ever did. 

12 hours ago, Hackett said:

Praying for the miracle - but reading between the lines and seeing how speedway is organised I see today's non-announcement more about the SCB sorting out the situation with other promoters - lost points effecting the league and riders situations etc - rather than the delay being sorted to allow Eastbourne to find further funding. 

This is spot on. However I cannot help but think this is about finding a way for certain promoters not to lose out rather than any greater good.

If I were in the Eastbourne team I'd be seeking legal advice for loss of earnings as right now they could be signing for other clubs and earning money, something they can't do while those while the BSPA / SCB mess about trying to find a way for them not to lose out.

• Like 1

So what if IoW is a circus... have you seen Nitro Circus? Pulls in the punters... The real Circus are the clowns running the BSPL vehicle until the wheels and doors fall off :icon_smile_clown:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I still cant see how theyve got in so deep, unless of course someones done a moonlight flit with the readies

Where were all these controls regarding riders being paid,though the Team Captain had to watch over these situation and report any riders not being paid.

just to back up hackett's post , martin/connor put a couple of pictures up on social media during the n.l.years after murmurs of discontent from fans about having 3 and 4 week gaps between home meetings in july and august while the bangers and possibly a firework display ? took over . one showed the crowd literally shoulder to shoulder with no obvious gaps anywhere around the stadium . the other was a post meeting view of an empty stadium showing the mess left behined from the food and drinks which absolutely covered the floor as far as you could see in the photo . i remember thinking then that they must take in as much , if not more from the food and drink alone from a stock meeting than they do from the entrance money from the speedway . i'm absolutely gutted that it looks certain that it spells the end , i feel sorry for the fans of the cars as well as there's no way the stadium will stay open on the back of half a dozen or so meetings a year . after covid and a few leg problems plymouth away was going to be my big comeback meeting , now i read all the away fixtures have been wiped off teams fixture lists . following on from the wasps which was my local team i find it all very depressing . for all the outside criticism , and some from the inside that Tim , Bob & Martin received both clubs lasted precious little time after they had gone . right i'm off to cheer myself up which will probably consist of around 2,000 calories .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orion said:

Only if its for the better 

It couldn't be any worse!

2 hours ago, orion said:

The subject is  Eastbourne .. Eastbourne had bigger crowds at a early stage so there plight the subject we are talking about has little to do with covid  just rank bad mangerment .. To much is made of what is going on in the iow .. its a captive audience in Holiday season .Fair play to the people who run it because they have maximize it but the chances of it  working elsewhere are zero 

I'd say the subject - as I initially put t is the 'stupid BSPL decision to run before Covid restrictions were removed and before the vaccination programme got into its stride hamstrung Eastbourne (and indeed all the other clubs)'. If indeed Eastbourne had bigger gates at the outset,  based upon the likes of Birmingham, Wolverhampton & Newcastle they have seriously bucked a trend. 

Too much is being made of the fact that a speedway team has nigh on doubled its gates ?? Really ?? I would have thought any speedway fan would have been giving that more consideration than any other topic or subject brought up by the sport given its current plight.

Two points you have missed and, first,  one you deliberately ignored. Isle of Wight is no more a holiday destination in holiday season than Eastbourne is. For every person 'captive' on the Island, there is one who doesn't have to pay £50 to a ferry company to get there. 

I don't doubt that Eastbourne's problems are substantially about financial mismanagement, but why have the formers gates gone up spectacularly while the latters have stagnated or decreased given that their circumstances are almost exactly the same ??

Isle of Wight has always been a holiday destination in holiday season, so why is the speedway getting far, far bigger attendances now than it did when riding NL meetings ?? Covid doesn't account totally for that. 

'Zero' chances of it working elsewhere. What is certainly true is there are a number of people on this forum who gave it 'zero' chance of working at Isle of Wight - after all, all they were offering was a 'circus' or' fairground', composed of small children, has beens, grasstrack riders, second halfers and even females. Even the Warriors management knew they were taking a major gamble but the fact remains is that while the rest of speedway has had the begging bowl out, been pleading fans to turn up and running up losses, they have been a huge success. I see no reason why such an approach wouldn't work at Eastbourne or possibly Poole, King's Lynn., Kent, Mildenhall, Berwick and Plymouth, all of which are in holiday areas.

Truth is, you - and you are not alone - are terrified that other tracks might copy it, and only one thing terrifies you more................that it might just work. 

The sport has to embrace change and doing nothing is not an option. If a track massively increases its gates by adapting its race night programme that must be given very serious consideration.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

A proper "circus act"...

What are the stock car crowds like at the iow during the summer holidays ?  The bottom line is  we have had  30 pages about how speedway is ran  as the cause of Eastbourne problems but no one knows for sure what has happened . For all we know someone could have there hand in the cookie jar .

Lets up see the iow run the flying  circus from march to oct next year to see what the results are .