British Speedway Forum
Hackett

Eastbourne 2020

It will be interesting to see what the league table looks like when its updated minus the points teams have gained against Eastbourne. 

35 minutes ago, ouch said:

I would imagine he’ll take over hear and double his profits. No brainer given the success of IOW. 

All joking aside. I wonder if Barry Bishop could turn around a track like Eastbourne, with his promoting skills and positivity.

Edited by cityrebel
Spelling mistake

7 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Yes.  However, there is so much more that could be done to provide entertainment and no longer are 15 races enough.  I've said this so many times and whilst some may think it a circus, IOW are giving those who attend a great night and it's not just about the racing.  People get bored and there needs to be more for them to do in venturing out to watch speedway.  More interaction, other attractions for different age groups - how many teenagers/early 20s people love to hang out together away from their parents, what would they like to do at the speedway etc. etc. Play some out of date music and watch a tractor go around is not very compelling.

I couldn't agree with you more. I am a great advocate and supporter of what IOW has achieved this year 

5 minutes ago, Hackett said:

If Cookie chooses to take time out - Lawson and Brennan will be announced on Fri. 

Assuming Tom is still based in Swindon it will depend if he wants a 6+hour journey. 

4 minutes ago, tocha said:

Assuming Tom is still based in Swindon it will depend if he wants a 6+hour journey. 

Young Speedway riders - travel not an option. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

All joking aside. I wonder if Barry Bishop could turn around a track like Eastbourne, with his promoting skills and positivity.

It just needed a smaller wage bill. That was there main problem. They still got decent crowds

• Like 1

There’s a lot of “advice” being bandied about on here with the benefit of hindsight, some of it more logical than others, although I’m not sure all of the criticism is warranted.

However, I don’t think it’s as cut and dried as appears and there will have been “goings on” behind the scenes which may (Eastbourne) or may not (BSPL) be revealed.

A few things spring to mind:  

Regarding promoting and bringing new ideas, embracing social media etc etc, look back to the start of 2019 and see how much effort was put into revitalising Eastbourne Speedway, there was no lack of effort in branding, merchandising, sponsorship, Eagles website etc etc which on the whole was well received and applauded. Ian Jordan has been as open and honest as anyone I can recall involved in speedway, and operates on a “speculate to accumulate” basis - on this occasion it doesn’t appear to have worked but not through lack of vision or effort.

Then there was the actual business of the BSPL actually accepting Eastbourne and Birmingham into the Championship, (remember every announcement of the BSP website stating their applications were under review pending required criteria). It did drag on. Is it a coincidence that both these clubs are in financial difficulty? Probably a coincidence. But were the BSPL lenient in granting licences, or guarantees or did they require additional sums? 

I’m not keen on the way the BSPL requested Eastbourne say nothing on Tuesday, “following protocols”.  It’s clear who’s running the show isn’t it? Noteworthy that Eastbourne aren’t signed up to the subscribers of BSPL.

It’s no secret that I hold the BSPL with a degree of disdain and the official announcement today on their website clarifies the lack of professionalism they operate under - the headline makes no mention of Eastbourne, the first sentence reads “confirm with withdrawal” instead of “confirm the withdrawal” and the fourth paragraph uses “famous” twice in short succession, all something a PR officer should pick up on. Obviously this press release wasn’t proof read, although it must have been in the making for some days.

I wonder if the BSPL really do “realise the impact this will have on the sport in general, and the Championship in particular” and just what are the “thoughts” they are offering to the supporters, riders, officials etc etc. Perhaps they’re pleased to see the back of Eastbourne, who have been a thorn in their side for some time….

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hackett said:

Young Speedway riders - travel not an option. 

I'm not saying he wouldn't but he might get an offer closer to home. I expect he is very much in demand.

2 hours ago, woofers said:

So it’s your fault then ! (only joking).

So where shall I go next then -"mmm" Kings Lynn and Peterborough perhaps or even Scunthorpe, bet Rob Godfrey won't be impressed (ha ha)

5 minutes ago, woofers said:

There’s a lot of “advice” being bandied about on here with the benefit of hindsight, some of it more logical than others, although I’m not sure all of the criticism is warranted.

However, I don’t think it’s as cut and dried as appears and there will have been “goings on” behind the scenes which may (Eastbourne) or may not (BSPL) be revealed.

Regarding promoting and bringing new ideas, embracing social media etc etc, look back to the start of 2019 and see how much effort was put into revitalising Eastbourne Speedway, there was no lack of effort in branding, merchandising, sponsorship, Eagles website etc etc which on the whole was well received and applauded. Ian Jordan has been as open and honest as anyone I can recall involved in speedway, and operates on a “speculate to accumulate” basis - on this occasion it doesn’t appear to have worked but not through lack of vision or effort.

Then there was the actual business of the BSPL actually accepting Eastbourne and Birmingham into the Championship, (remember every announcement of the BSP website stating their applications were under review pending required criteria). It did drag on. Is it a coincidence that both these clubs are in financial difficulty? Probably a coincidence. But were the BSPL lenient in granting licences, or guarantees or did they require additional sums? 

I’m not keen on the way the BSPL requested Eastbourne say nothing on Tuesday, “following protocols”.  It’s clear who’s running the show isn’t it? Noteworthy that Eastbourne aren’t signed up to the subscribers of BSPL.

It’s no secret that I hold the BSPL with a degree of disdain and the official announcement today on their website clarifies the lack of professionalism they operate under - the headline makes no mention of Eastbourne, the first sentence reads “confirm with withdrawal” instead of “confirm the withdrawal” and the fourth paragraph uses “famous” twice in short succession, all something a PR officer should pick up on. Obviously this press release wasn’t proof read, although it must have been in the making for some days.

I wonder if the BSPL really do “realise the impact this will have on the sport in general, and the Championship in particular” and just what are the “thoughts” they are offering to the supporters, riders, officials etc etc. Perhaps they’re pleased to see the back of Eastbourne, who have been a thorn in their side for some time….

Couldn't agree more.  The effort that I watched Eastbourne putting in during 2019 was exceptional in trying to attract new supporters and it appeared to be working then along came Covid !

5 minutes ago, woofers said:

That was positive but were there any things which changed what was on offer to the person who attended, or was it  "some intro music, riders appear on bikes/line up and are introduced, toss a coin, 15 races interspersed with hits of the 80s and a bloke driving a tractor and someone saying it's Bert's birthday next week, next up is heat 3 etc. whilst the person stands around in the cold checking their social media and writing out their shopping list/picking their nails."  This is not a criticism of Eastbourne because that's exactly what I see at many other tracks.  'Kids go free' has made me attend and a friend of mine but when there are are looking for something else to do, not just watch the racing.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, tocha said:

Tom is now based in the West Midlands now so straight up the M6 around 4.5 hours but for the money Glasgow offer more than worth it and possibly even a deal for 2022 added in as well .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flagrag said:

Tom is now based in the West Midlands now so straight up the M6 around 4.5 hours but for the money Glasgow offer more than worth it and possibly even a deal for 2022 added in as well .

It's all very well Glasgow paying the big bucks, but in the end there will be hardly any one left to race against.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

It's all very well Glasgow paying the big bucks, but in the end there will be hardly any one left to race against.

nail. head.hit

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, lewy said:

It will be interesting to see what the league table looks like when its updated minus the points teams have gained against Eastbourne. 

Well Redcar got beat at home by them and have been away so ours shouldn’t change