British Speedway Forum
Hackett

Eastbourne 2020

10 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

It's all very well Glasgow paying the big bucks, but in the end there will be hardly any one left to race against.

Its truly a race to the bottom isnt it?

And Eastbourne have won it this year.. 

With Newcastle and Birmingham pushing them close..

What a shambles of sporting administration from those who supposedly "lead" it...

NDL level pre Covid seemed to be the way forward for so many..

So lets close that down and increase costs for tracks by letting them have second teams....

Whilst at the same time making these tracks need heat leaders from the top tier to be competitive, which they then have to find the money to pay..

What a plan....

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

That was positive but were there any things which changed what was on offer to the person who attended, or was it  "some intro music, riders appear on bikes/line up and are introduced, toss a coin, 15 races interspersed with hits of the 80s and a bloke driving a tractor and someone saying it's Bert's birthday next week, next up is heat 3 etc. whilst the person stands around in the cold checking their social media and writing out their shopping list/picking their nails."  This is not a criticism of Eastbourne because that's exactly what I see at many other tracks.  'Kids go free' has made me attend and a friend of mine but when there are are looking for something else to do, not just watch the racing.

OK, so what do you suggest? What happens at other events that could be drawn in to speedway ?

2 hours ago, woofers said:

OK, so what do you suggest? What happens at other events that could be drawn in to speedway ?

The list maybe not quite endless, but it is very, very long..

And the IOW in particular seem to make a decent fist of using some of these techniques..

Ultimately giving your punter a good value for money night out, with no self inflicted nonsense taking place that dissuades them from returning, is usually a good starter for ten..

And if you can add actively seeking out, and then reacting to feedback from your customers as to what they thought of their night out, then you are well on your way....

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 5

I'm sure the current Eastbourne scenario would have played out like this over seasons gone by had it not been for the Dugard family/business, especially the driving force ( no pun intended) of the late Bob Dugard. Without them,  probably could have happened back in 2014/15, can't think they would want to get involved again on the speedway side without Bob and all the BSPL shenanigans going on.

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tocha said:

Glasgow are on the phone to Lawson right now I would imagine. Craig Cook has opted to take time out of the sport due to mental health problems.

I think you will find he is going further South rather than North.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W9 Lion said:

I think you will find he is going further South rather than North.

IOW ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gazzac said:

IOW ?

Further South...

1 hour ago, Hackett said:

If Cookie chooses to take time out - Lawson and Brennan will be announced on Fri. 

Cook taking time away from speedway due to mental issues, so Lawson to Glasgow looks very possible now.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, screm said:

Cook taking time away from speedway due to mental issues, so Lawson to Glasgow looks very possible now.

Lawson is sorted I am led to believe!!! and it ain't Glasgow

Maybe Cami Brown will now go after Claus Vissing; you know; after saying how much he loved him and how wonderful he was and how he was badly done to by Newcastle in that Speedway Star article...

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Missed out word
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, W9 Lion said:

Further South...

Plymouth obviously then,  after all he has done the majority of home matches there this season, so will be dialled in straight away. 

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, gazzac said:

Plymouth obviously then,  after all he has done the majority of home matches there this season, so will be dialled in straight away. 

Plus Ian Jordon may have said he'd get Eastbourne money owed paid promptly( although that maybe the case for all riders anyway) and a deal for going to Plymouth? 

2 hours ago, Redtruck said:

Well Redcar got beat at home by them and have been away so ours shouldn’t change 

Poole would only lose 1 point.

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Kent have done naff all against EB so will lose no points, but Leicester will lose 7. Sixth play off spot starting to look interesting ?

Leicester still got a bit to catch up, though 2 of them are against Glasgow!