British Speedway Forum
Hackett

Eastbourne 2020

On 9/2/2021 at 6:52 PM, topaz325 said:

No just gossip and hearsay......

Mistakes have clearly been made at Eastbourne and Ian Jordan is holding his hand up to admit this..

Speedway in the right league with a solid business plan is viable at Eastbourne.

I am sure it is it just needs proper promotion and a decent team with riders who excite the crowd and get them talking. Basso at Poole a prime example. A young rider with a future in the sport who is thrilling the crowd with his riding. There are others out there that fit the same hill.

I would be more surprised if Eastbourne were not up and running next season. There’s surely people out there that see the potential to take the club on and head forwards, with a brand new team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M.D said:

Mistakes have clearly been made at Eastbourne and Ian Jordan is holding his hand up to admit this..

Speedway in the right league with a solid business plan is viable at Eastbourne.

Back to the Dugards ( if they've still the will and enthusiasm which only they would know) in a competitive NL with a decent points limit so fans will pay to watch is probably the only viable way next season, oh we had that before it was taken away.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I am sure it is it just needs proper promotion and a decent team with riders who excite the crowd and get them talking. Basso at Poole a prime example. A young rider with a future in the sport who is thrilling the crowd with his riding. There are others out there that fit the same hill.

I would be more surprised if Eastbourne were not up and running next season. There’s surely people out there that see the potential to take the club on and head forwards, with a brand new team.

For the sport in Sussex to run next season would depend on a few things.

They would need to run in a league they can afford.

They would need a figure head that the BSPL and the Dugards both trust

Also, a significant start up fee would be needed.

The BSPL would want the club to continue and the Dugard family would be behind the right promotion, they don't want the sport to finish at Arlo and will go out of their  way to see it continue at the venue despite it costing them money..

The big issue would be the start up costs for a new promotion, that would need sponsors, fans and investors to contribute IF they want the sport to continue..

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gazzac said:

Back to the Dugards ( if they've still the will and enthusiasm which only they would know) in a competitive NL with a decent points limit so fans will pay to watch is probably the only viable way next season, oh we had that before it was taken away.

The Dugards will back the club with the right people in charge..

• Like 1

I think there’s a good chance of someone coming in but any riders should be on points money only. Stick a rider on a guarantee and there’s no incentive for them to score. They get paid regardless.  

• Like 3

Crowds had dropped off for NL racing at Arlington in 2018. After competing in the championship, would the fans support a return to a lower level of speedway.

Edited by cityrebel

On 8/30/2021 at 12:02 PM, Fromafar said:

I would reckon the Top Flight level would have to be equivalent to this years Championship level though.

I think there is some legs within that, as that isn’t far off what the Premiership is now with a few exceptions like Jack Holder, Dan Bewley etc.

It needs 6 man teams though instead of 7 to even potentially be viable.

I don't know what the Premiership teams earn from tv money, but it looks like the costs to run a Championship team aren't far short of running a Premiership one, so maybe with the right promotion a possibility? 

16 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Crowds had dropped off for NL racing at Arlington in 2018. After competing in the championship, would the fans support a return to a lower level of speedway.

I would have thought attendance might have dropped off when Kent Kings started in 2017. However, I wonder what impact Kent moving into the championship had upon Eastbourne.

It is possible that Kent supporters from the north of the county travelled to Arlington to watch CL racing. For example,  many who live south of the Thames used to support the Hammers in 2018 before the club moved to Rye House. I expect many of the same supporters then came to Arlington in 2019 before switching their allegiance to Kent in 2021.

Edited by tocha

1 hour ago, tocha said:

I would have thought attendance might have dropped off when Kent Kings started in 2017. However, I wonder what impact Kent moving into the championship had upon Eastbourne.

It is possible that Kent supporters from the north of the county travelled to Arlington to watch CL racing. For example,  many who live south of the Thames used to support the Hammers in 2018 before the club moved to Rye House. I expect many of the same supporters then came to Arlington in 2019 before switching their allegiance to Kent in 2021.

I used to 'support' all four clubs, but I'm now on my last legs at Kent Kings!

1 hour ago, gazzac said:

I don't know what the Premiership teams earn from tv money, but it looks like the costs to run a Championship team aren't far short of running a Premiership one, so maybe with the right promotion a possibility? 

I have been told by a current promoter (no clues as to who?;)) that running in the Championship is about two thirds the cost of running Premiership.  He did give me the actual figures but this is not the place to share!!

3 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I have been told by a current promoter (no clues as to who?;)) that running in the Championship is about two thirds the cost of running Premiership.  He did give me the actual figures but this is not the place to share!!

That's too close a gap really, should be about half, but we know the reasons why.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 12:19 PM, gazzac said:

That's too close a gap really, should be about half, but we know the reasons why.

Far too close a gap..

With a substainable league structure for Eastbourne to ride in, I can see them running.. 

• Like 2

With the very positive news about Newcastle, I thought I would bump this thread up.

Newcastle are going to run, Oxford and Swindon could be back

Eastbourne?