British Speedway Forum

3 hours ago, iainb said:

What about Green & Black? We've not tried that yet... It may just be the innovation that save Speedway in the UK

Chocolate sponsorship opportunity too ....

• Like 3

10 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Chocolate sponsorship opportunity too ....

Nah, but the right shade of purple, and you might....er because the speedway viewing public is of that chocolate eating age, innit?

Perhaps a beige helmet colour to attract Horlicks over as sponsors, maybe?

My own take on the sport has changed over the last few years and in some ways I am amazed that it still functions at the level  we have  now. 

It is said there needs to be more shale on the tracks but mean promoters won't buy it but the truth is that modern s/way engines are too powerful and perform in such a way that riders cannot control them under these circumstances  .Efforts to change this are always meet with resistance to say the least ,riders hate change and there is the cost implications as well.Just look what has happened with the the GTR ,love or hate it IMO it typifies the attitude of riders to change in the sport about anything.

Bring all or many top riders back to the league is a non starter (IMO the quality of racing is what matters they all look the same with helmets on)  because the very top riders are GP oriented and their demands are too great on the whole for the league to afford . The GP'S were the death knell of top league racing in this country definitely at weekends and probably as a whole if I am honest. I think the ruling bodies missed a trick in not running the GP's or having a large rake off from day one but maybe they thought it would not evolve into what we have today.

The sport must work with what it has got and make the most of it I sadly do see the top two leagues merging into one and maybe a merging in part of some Champ L and  Nat L making a true semi/pro nursery league.

The sport needs to work with what it has got I still love to watch s/way think the racing is as good as it has ever been on it's day , the ruling bodies need to work together have some form of collective planning even foresight   ( love or hate him Mr Olsen certainly did)  try and act like professsionals at least once a year!

• Like 1

On 10/8/2019 at 8:13 AM, Sings4Speedway said:

Personally my biggest gripe is the gulf of ability between the riders on track. Teams built with 10 point and 2 point riders going to the tapes at the same time and still expect entertainment. If teams were forced to build strength in depth many meetings and races would be far more entertaining.

Most teams are built with depth it’s the racing format that puts a reserve with a heat leader in some heats.

Some teams decide to go for upper rider strength and then have NL standard reserves so you can guess the outcome there.

If they changed the points limit teams would just do the same except the lower  points riders would perhaps be a better standard but still fodder for the better riders.

Edited by GWC